NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

8 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

If anyone does see them before I say I have one try to tell me, best way if anyone in the NE discord, bombard me there with a message.

Sorry if this is a daft question, but is the NE Discord available to all or is it simply for NE staff?

18 minutes ago, WackerJr said:

Sorry if this is a daft question, but is the NE Discord available to all or is it simply for NE staff?

Available to everyone as far as I know. It's been there for a while but I've never used it. This place struggles as it is without splitting what little community and conversation we have on here any further.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Available to everyone as far as I know. It's been there for a while but I've never used it. This place struggles as it is without splitting what little community and conversation we have on here any further.

Alright negative nelly 😛

To be fair it's mainly used as a voice chat option or to organise a quick fire online game 

At the moment, it's just Glen and Mokong keeping it afloat talking Sunbreak builds and organising games etc 👍

Anyone is welcome to join, @WackerJr, but the main conversations about games etc always tend to be here, still!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

At the moment, it's just Glen and Mokong keeping it afloat talking Sunbreak builds and organising games etc 👍

Hah! What a couple of nerds! What next? Talking about how to make the best Crit build?

I do mostly use Discord for online gaming shenanigans. The chatroom nature is fine for that kind of thing, but actual proper discussion about news and such just tends to get buried if it gets too active.

Also impossible to archive stuff there, so to me at least, it's no replacement for a forum.

• Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Also impossible to archive stuff there, so to me at least, it's no replacement for a forum.

It baffles me how it has become a replacement for forums. I tried it back when dazzybee and company split away from the forums and I found it a mess and chaotic. For whatever reason though discord is what people seem to gravitate to. You even see it on places like Era where the conversation is plentiful but people still ask for Discord links instead of just using the forum. I guess i'm just old and set in my ways.

• Like 1

Discord is great for friends.
I'm in a group with about 20 people I know from my good old school days and it's fun just chatting (be it text or voice) and/or playing games together.

I've also joined a few game Discords just to take part in bug reports/feedback. That's also pretty cool.

Other than that, I gotta agree with H-o-T, it's way too chaotic once a certain threshold of member numbers is crossed.

Who else split off to join the discord? I wondered where Dazzybee went.

4 minutes ago, bob said:

Discord. @nekunando frequents there as well. I see @markderoos and @Dufniall there more often then here as well.

Edited by Glen-i

12 minutes ago, bob said:

Dazzybee left ages ago due to arguments and issues with a couple of members on here. Along with him, Nando, Nicktendo, Londragon, Clownferret and a couple others set up their own Nintendo discord so they could keep chatting. They ran a podcast for a while, before Londragon, Nicktendo and Nando returned here and ran a podcast on here. That has died a death now. Nando pops on here from time to time and I assume Nick and Londragon are back doing their own thing. Shame.

We went through a period of bleeding members and we've not really recovered. In recent years I think the only new member we got who stuck around is Julius, who has been a fantastic addition to this place.

• Thanks 1

I tend to use Discord a lot for various groups but it definitely can't take the place of a forum. Discussions are just too easily missed.

39 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Dazzybee left ages ago due to arguments and issues with a couple of members on here. Along with him, Nando, Nicktendo, Londragon, Clownferret and a couple others set up their own Nintendo discord so they could keep chatting. They ran a podcast for a while, before Londragon, Nicktendo and Nando returned here and ran a podcast on here. That has died a death now. Nando pops on here from time to time and I assume Nick and Londragon are back doing their own thing. Shame.

This is accurate. They started the site Nintendo-Review with a podcast, and that's when the Discord came about as well. Later on that site died and the podcast changed to be the N-Europe podcast, but the Nintendo-Review Discord is still there and has a bunch of (ex)N-E forum members. But officially it has nothing to do with N-E. There is also an N-Europe Discord but as said, that is mostly used as voice channel for Mario Kart/Smash nights and setting up Monster Hunter parties. Doesn't take conversation away from this place.

I also think that Discord is not a replacement for a forum, for the obvious reasons such as structure and it's not friendly for long posts. However, for me at the moment it's a great place to hang out. Where the forum is more like this:

media-roundtable.jpg

Discord is kind of:

uiltjebar21.jpeg

And I have more need for a chatty bar then a forum. First of all because, like said, the forum activity is low. Add to that that there was a time when people were pretty condescending, and not everyone's opinion was respected (it's better again luckily). Second, the few times I made a long post (in for example the Gaming Diary thread), you get one or two thumbs up and that's it. Third, one reason I was active on the forum was because I was also active on the main site, but unfortunately that is low on activity as well, as we don't get any reviews and none of the staff bar Sam is posting news. I've started writing for a Dutch Nintendo outlet and I feel my time is better spent posting news articles and reviews there then being active here on the forums. Because final point, since I had a baby in the beginning of this year my time has been severely limited as well, and the time I have I spend gaming or writing on another website. The Discord is a great place to low-key have gaming banter without the need of having to make long posts or read long posts. Yes, it is unstructured and mostly just Nekunando and Markderoos screaming for Wave Race :p But it is cosy, it is low-key and there are some fun things going on like a Strikers club and League.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It baffles me how it has become a replacement for forums. I tried it back when dazzybee and company split away from the forums and I found it a mess and chaotic. For whatever reason though discord is what people seem to gravitate to. You even see it on places like Era where the conversation is plentiful but people still ask for Discord links instead of just using the forum. I guess i'm just old and set in my ways.

Aren't you running the N-E tiktok?

40 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I tend to use Discord a lot for various groups but it definitely can't take the place of a forum. Discussions are just too easily missed.

I'm yet to come across that Goldilocks Discord chat that's just right. It always seems to be a spamfest or dead for large periods. As such, I can't remember the last time I had it open. :blush: I like hitting up the search bar here and skimming back through a discussion of a game I'm thinking of adding to my backlog.

1 minute ago, darksnowman said:

Aren't you running the N-E tiktok?

I'm yet to come across that Goldilocks Discord chat that's just right. It always seems to be a spamfest or dead for large periods. As such, I can't remember the last time I had it open. :blush: I like hitting up the search bar here and skimming back through a discussion of a game I'm thinking of adding to my backlog.

I had one from an old forum I used to visit a lot that only had about 7 or so members left so we all moved onto Discord. That was the best discord server for me as chat happened regularly throughout the day but wasn't hard to follow.

I do need a new forum really. I always used to use two, NE and then for a while Resetera but after they became a totalitarian nightmare with no room for discussion or views outside of the extreme left I had to leave.

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I had one from an old forum I used to visit a lot that only had about 7 or so members left so we all moved onto Discord. That was the best discord server for me as chat happened regularly throughout the day but wasn't hard to follow.

Yeah, I've little doubt it must be good when it works for people. It's popular for a reason. I've joined at least one when I wanted to contact support for some applications rather than send an email. I think that ranks among the best use I've had out of it. LOL.

I motion that @Jonnas sets up a mafia game Discord.

On 12/07/2022 at 11:59 AM, Ealdst said:

Quick public service announcement, N64 controllers are currently back in stock on the UK website, just managed to order 2 at last!

Delivered. :cool: 

Thanks again for the heads up. :bowdown: 

1 hour ago, Dufniall said:

Where the forum is more like this:

media-roundtable.jpg

I don't we've ever been like this. Had the picture shown tables upended and people screaming at each other, that would be a little more accurate. :D 

Second, the few times I made a long post (in for example the Gaming Diary thread), you get one or two thumbs up and that's it. 

Yeah, I get that. Personally, I've never been a fan of reactions because it's makes it much easier to just click a button than to actively engage in conversation. That being said, if we didn't have the reaction button would a conversation even happen anyway? Probably not. 

Third, one reason I was active on the forum was because I was also active on the main site, but unfortunately that is low on activity as well, as we don't get any reviews and none of the staff bar Sam is posting news. I've started writing for a Dutch Nintendo outlet and I feel my time is better spent posting news articles and reviews there then being active here on the forums. 

Totally understandable. You are going where you're time is feeling worthwhile and appreciated. It's good that you still have an outlet for your passion for Nintendo. 

Because final point, since I had a baby in the beginning of this year my time has been severely limited as well, and the time I have I spend gaming or writing on another website. 

I've said this many times before but I think that this is probably the key issue as to why this place has slowly been dying a death over the years. Most here have things like work, a significant other and kids to deal with, which are obviously higher priorities than gaming. We are all getting on in years. I'm now 40 years old but I'm not quite the norm as most people my age have settled down. Apart from my job, I don't have many other responsibilities to take of which is why I can to continue to put a lot of time into gaming.

I think this point is relevant to your second point. I think a lot of the time people do read the long posts from others but because they haven't had the time to play the game that the person has wrote about, there is nothing really that they can say to add to the conversation. Also, if you look back at older posts from the forum, say the Wii era, most of us were playing the same game at the same time, which meant the conversation was all in one place. Now many of us don't buy games on day one. This could be because the price of game or the state the launches in. Plus, there are so many options for gaming these days that it's no surprise that everyone seems to be playing something different. 

I will say that I would never blame anyone for wanting to look for greener pastures when it comes for gaming discussions. If people's needs aren't being met here then that's completely fine to want to move on. However, I would like to hear suggestions from people who have left or looking to leave on what could make this place better, more active and more friendly. At this stage I'm not sure if the active point is even possible anymore. 

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

I do need a new forum really. I always used to use two, NE and then for a while Resetera but after they became a totalitarian nightmare with no room for discussion or views outside of the extreme left I had to leave.

I've never been able to engage with the Era forum. It's always been their way or the highway, which is why a few on here have been banned from them over the years. :D I was going to try out their Nintendo spin off forum (Dcubed posts over there) but it's essentially the same thing but with added fanboy attitudes added on top. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've never been able to engage with the Era forum. It's always been their way or the highway, which is why a few on here have been banned from them over the years. :D I was going to try out their Nintendo spin off forum (Dcubed posts over there) but it's essentially the same thing but with added fanboy attitudes added on top. 

I didn't realise they had a Nintendo spin off forum...that sounds like my worst nightmare 😆

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I didn't realise they had a Nintendo spin off forum...that sounds like my worst nightmare 😆

Yeah, it happened last year. There were arguments amongst a lot of people and so they split off. They've crippled both Nintendo communities off by doing it though. The new place is a hive mind of Nintendo fanboys that doesn't have half the conversation that Era had and Era has been left with a skeleton crew of Nintendo only gamers. Exact same thing happened with the Era Xbox community. They've got their own place as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

I motion that @Jonnas sets up a mafia game Discord

Fughetaboutit! The mafia life's behind me now. I was good at it, but I'm outta the business.

Famiboards is ok I suppose.  It’s obnoxious in how everything has to be positive though.  Any hint of negativity about much of anything (doesn’t matter if you’re right or not), and you get dogpiled.

Still, there’s a few peeps there who are worth talking to and it’s probably the best non European Nintendo fan forum out there (which really shows how low the bar is outside of N-Europe!).  Ended up getting in touch with the guy who owns the Nintendo Iris prototype through that forum! So you do get the occasional gem there.  But I don’t post there very much, I’m not into circle jerking :p

Screw Discord though, it’s an unholy cacophony of messy, impossible to follow rabble.  How anyone can follow a conversation on that thing is beyond me! Gimme a good forum (like N-Europe ;)) any day!

Edited by Dcubed

34 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Fughetaboutit! The mafia life's behind me now. I was good at it, but I'm outta the business.

You see, now I just want you to get back into it so that you can post this:

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b95221189d6767e0b2cd2

:p

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Famiboards is ok I suppose.  It’s obnoxious in how everything has to be positive though.  Any hint of negativity about much of anything (doesn’t matter if you’re right or not), and you get dogpiled.

I've noticed this has happened to you a few times over there. :D 

That's why they left Era in the first place. They wanted everything to be sunshine and rainbows. You can't have a balanced conversation with those kinds of blinkers on.

2 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Och come on... Fire Emblem theme.

Shaq Cat GIF - Shaq Cat Pounce - Descubre & Comparte GIFs

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Och come on... Fire Emblem theme.

smh-eyebrow.gif

• Sad 1

I feel like I should spin this off into another topic but I'm not quite sure what or where and I'm just going to bed. Maybe tomorrow. But for now...

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That's why they left Era in the first place. They wanted everything to be sunshine and rainbows. 

New decree: 35% of posts need to contain this video: