NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

So I'd be paying more for two things I don't want 😋

Genuinely just wanted to play a few N64 games again. Oh well. 

A tad more than I expected, tbh. But I think I'll go for it. I do wish they'd just sell the individual games though. xD

it's just too high if you don't have animal crossing.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Thanks for the heads up! Was literally just checking for it and couldn't find it.

No worries :smile: I saw it had gone up on the US store, saw the null placeholders on the UK store...

FBv4n2rXoAIc7D9?format=jpg&name=large

FBv4n3zXEB4gJk5?format=jpg&name=large

...and before I could post that here as a heads-up, they'd gone live :laughing:

Pretty crazy that it's 4 per customer as the limit (then again, 4 player modes I guess). Am I misremembering for the NES and SNES controllers, because I could've sworn there was a lower limit in place when they first launched? 

39 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

it's just too high if you don't have animal crossing.

You don't need New Horizons to play Happy Home Paradise.

Shout out to @Ashley.

It's like New Super Luigi U or Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

I was not aware of this, that is pretty good then.

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Shout out to @Ashley.

It's like New Super Luigi U or Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna.

Those are two very different games and wildly different from Animal Crossing itself so it's an interesting direction for them to take in the DLC. 

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

12 months minimum? Skip.

I'll just say as well, this smacks of absolute lack of faith in the offering from Nintendo. And they'd be right to lack faith.

They know if they charge by the month then people will just use a month or two to play the few games in the offering they're actually interested in then drop it.

35 quid a year starts to bring this into PSN plus and XBL territory. I know the others are more than 35 quid officially but nobody buys them at that price. When you compare with the competitor offerings (which include new games as well as basic levels of online functionality) this looks like a raw deal.

Edited by Sheikah

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Really?! That's weird. :blank:

So anyone with the digital version of ACNH that also gets HHP will be downloading loads of duplicate content to their Switch? :hmm: Or is it only a standalone thing if you don't have ACNH, and DLC otherwise? ::shrug:

I'm also still confused about what happens with those extra design features that HHP unlocks in ACNH if you "purchase" HHP via the sub. :confused:

Meh, it's £17 per year for N64 + Mega Drive games. I can't get too worked up about it.

13 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

I was not aware of this, that is pretty good then.

17 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yes you do need the base game.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Meh, it's £17 a year for N64 + Mega Drive games. 

If you are already a member

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

I remember hearing that about SEGA so that makes sense. Plus they got the Banjo games so Microsoft were probably involved.

11 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

35 quid a year starts to bring this into PSN plus and XBL territory. I know the others are more than 35 quid officially but nobody buys them at that price. When you compare with the competitor offerings (which include new games as well as basic levels of online functionality) this looks like a raw deal.

And no one will likely pay full price for this. I've never paid £18 for NSO. You're not doing a fair comparison RRP against non-RRP just because you can get it cheaper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Julius said:

N64 Controller pre-orders live on My Nintendo Store!

Link

Fuck you Nintendo!! £160 for 4 controllers is absolutely outrageo…

m8gIaM4.png

… don’t mind me…

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Meh, it's £17 per year for N64 + Mega Drive games. I can't get too worked up about it.

Yes you do need the base game.

Well then, @Dcubed misled me then.

24 minutes ago, Ike said:

And no one will likely pay full price for this. I've never paid £18 for NSO. You're not doing a fair comparison RRP against non-RRP just because you can get it cheaper.

We'll wait and see, it's just worth bearing in mind that you can get Plus for about 30 quid quite easily every year. I'm not convinced we'll see this 35 quid N64 sub go as low as 10-15 quid via other sellers, which it would really need to be to justify the price against others.

Put it this way, this 35 quid RRP N64 sub is 70% of the price of the PS Plus and XBL Gold RRPs. It's too high a price for what you're actually getting.

I think they've just shot themselves in the foot with the pricing.

I'm on the Family pack so my kids can play online and also put my 2 nephews on the account.

I would have been fine paying up to 50% more for the expansion, but not a full 100% more. Are they having a laugh?

I might get tempted in the future depending on what games get added and when Banjo is added... But right now I'll stick to the standard pack thanks.

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

We'll wait and see, it's just worth bearing in mind that you can get Plus for about 30 quid quite easily every year. I'm not convinced we'll see this 35 quid N64 sub go as low as 10-15 quid via other sellers, which it would really need to be to justify the price against others.

Put it this way, this 35 quid RRP N64 sub is 70% of the price of the PS Plus and XBL Gold RRPs. It's too high a price for what you're actually getting.

If you’re playing that game, I don’t play full price for NSO either because I split a family pack with 7 other people.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

If you’re playing that game, I don’t play full price for NSO either because I split a family pack with 7 other people.

You conveniently missed the part where I compared RRP with RRP though, didn't you.

If I was playing games I'd be saying let's compare Turkish or Indenosian Plus subs, and sharing your account with one other console.

Yeah, that price is too much. Especially when it's 12 months minimum for the expansion. Once the N64 service was complete, my intention was to sign up for 3 months or so to play Snap, Kirby, S&P, and whatever else I hadn't played yet.

Until they add a plan that's 6 months or shorter, I won't be getting it. Not without Goemon, at the very least

• Like 1

Wonder why the American price increase is so large. They've got a 150% price increase (compared to ~100% here but can't be bothered to go the exact maths in my head). 

Well if the sight of Banjo Kazooie (N64 NSO), Castlevania Bloodlines (MD NSO) and this tweet are anything to go by…

… it seems that the large price hike is going towards securing more difficult & expensive licenses.

If this means that we could get the likes of Perfect Dark, Mischief Makers, Goemon N64 1&2, Rocket Knight Adventures 1&2 and Crusader of Centy added to NSO? I’d have no qualms about the higher price in that case!

7 hours ago, Ashley said:

Wonder why the American price increase is so large. They've got a 150% price increase (compared to ~100% here but can't be bothered to go the exact maths in my head). 

The Euro and Pound Sterling have recently appreciated against the Yen; which is why we had that recent Europe exclusive price drop for the Switch.

That’s probably the main reason why we’re getting a better deal than the yanks in this case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

The Euro and Pound Sterling have recently appreciated against the Yen; which is why we had that recent Europe exclusive price drop for the Switch.

That’s probably the main reason why we’re getting a better deal than the yanks in this case.

Fair. Figured it was probably something like that but I've been keeping my head out of the news for a while so I'm a bit clueless.