NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

MK64 is a very broken game as far as the racing goes; but that’s also what makes it fun.  You can do some absolutely outrageous and ridiculous stuff in that game; but yeah, you do need a bit of a gentleman’s agreement in place beforehand!

Battle Mode in MK64 is absolutely first class though; still one of the best in the series (Block Fort + infinitely bouncing green shells + bomb buggies = A very fun time! :D)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

The character balance is just flat out borked in favour of Yoshi, Toad, and Peach.

I see no problem here. 

Holy crap!?

You mean I can now sign up and play some 25 year old games as much as I want!?

This is unprecedented!

Excuse me while I dig out my credit card.

16 minutes ago, bob said:

Holy crap!?

You mean I can now sign up and play some 25 year old games as much as I want!?

This is unprecedented!

Excuse me while I dig out my credit card.

To be fair, how many official ways are there to play a game from 1996 on a portable device with 3 other people online?

To be fair, how many official ways are there to play a game from 1996 on a portable device with 3 other people online?
They're adding features!?

Oh my goodness, my day just gets better and better!

Screw the credit card, I'm just doing to roll up a £50 note and insert it into the headphone jack.

1 hour ago, bob said:

They're adding features!?

Oh my goodness, my day just gets better and better!

Screw the credit card, I'm just doing to roll up a £50 note and insert it into the headphone jack.

This is NSO, you need to open the app and insert the money into your phones headphone jack instead. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Looks like we have the price of the expansion pack, revealed in the Animal Crossing direct just now:

FBvzKu7XEAAyTfd?format=png&name=small

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

Looks like we have the price of the expansion pack, revealed in the Animal Crossing direct just now:

FBvzKu7XEAAyTfd?format=png&name=small

Oof. Effectively doubling the price? 

d5e434bbc86714d99666dc32e1e3b24d74ad3818

Very telling that they didn't share that an update on the Expansion Pack would be included the Animal Crossing Direct. Will absolutely be picking up the controller, but think I'll be waiting a while before getting the Expansion Pack. 

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

Yeah, unless you want Happy Home Designer 2, this probably isn't worth it.

OK value if you do want that though.

2 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Play N64 games "at a higher resolution" ??

Yeah, this was already known. You could tell from the footage when it was revealed. No way in hell N64 games were that crisp.

It's interesting that you can't rewind the N64 games, maybe that would be too taxing on the hardware with 3D titles?

On a semi-related note. Anyone know what happens if I change to a family membership but the family member already has an individual membership? Do they get refunded the remain on what they have?

6 minutes ago, Ike said:

New video has just gone up.

Available October 26th.

The fact that Nintendo have the balls to double the price with this Expansion Pack on what is a rough online experience, but then also be able to apply a pro-rated discount based on the days left when upgrading from a current subscription, is actually kind of hilarious :laughing:

4 minutes ago, Ashley said:

12 months minimum? Skip.

I just noticed that too, it's a real shame. I'd have definitely tried this for a month or two to play some N64 classics and get some mileage out of the Animal Crossing DLC but doubt I'll pay for the year as I just know that given their track record the N64 releases will be small and slow and I also doubt I'd get knee deep in AC long term other than perhaps a nice few weeks checking out the new stuff. 

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

N64 Controller pre-orders live on My Nintendo Store!

Link

Thanks for the heads up! Was literally just checking for it and couldn't find it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, killthenet said:

It's interesting that you can't rewind the N64 games, maybe that would be too taxing on the hardware with 3D titles?

Yeah, probably the case.

Anyway, most games on the N64 aren't so difficult that they warrant the feature.

Rare Replay did the same, older games had rewind but the N64 games didn't. 

I do wonder, once a widescreen game is added, if it will actually switch to widescreen or just distort the game while keeping it in a 4:3 border.

I was thinking that an extra £10 would have been high, £17 is a bit over the top.

15 minutes ago, Julius said:

N64 Controller pre-orders live on My Nintendo Store!

Link

Thanks, I managed to get an order in! Didn't sell out as quickly as I had feared

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Thanks, I managed to get an order in! Didn't sell out as quickly as I had feared

There's only about 100 people using Nintendo's online service.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't quite know which part is worse; you're paying for DLC you don't want/can't use (if you don't have AC) or you're paying to rent DLC if you do. 

I know they say the DLC is no extra cost but it feels like it's been thrown in to justify the cost. AC is hella popular but it's not like everyone has it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1