NEurope
Cube

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy

Apparently they've took out a lot of good songs as well. :(

Edit: I guess on PC they could be modded back in...

Edited by Sckewi

Definitely looking pretty rough, some of the characters look horrendous. Have there been any Switch comparisons yet? I do want to play it but not sure I can justify spending £50 on it if it isn't a better experience than the originals 

Yeah, it seems to be in very rough shape at the moment. Even on the PS5 in Performance Mode and with the Day 1 patch it seems to be a far cry from running at a stable 60 fps, though it does seem to get better as you get to the later games in the collection, where explosions and massive gunfights seem to be the reason for the drops in framerate. 

And I found this hilarious:

hqoWn7P_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

5 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Have there been any Switch comparisons yet?

None that I've seen going around. If I'm not mistaken, today is actually the first time we've seen gameplay of the Switch version after we had the first screenshots the other day, which speaks volumes. I might be mistaken but I think I saw somewhere claiming that the Switch version only ran at 720p (I don't remember anything on framerate), but as I imagine Rockstar would have wanted, I'm having trouble verifying this because trying to find Switch details and comparisons on this is impossible; they've been buried in the talk of the other versions. 

Really hoping Digital Foundry jump on this sooner rather than later for comparisons, it seems a botched job at best right now though in terms of performance. 

Yeah, hopefully Digital Foundry do a video comparing all the different versions - it definitely seems like enough of a dumpster fire to warrant their detailed evaluation.

Sounds like the game isn't running all that well with framerate drops and some of the new graphics aren't exactly amazing. I think I might wait until the PC version gets a nice discount before I buy it. 
Spoiler qh56b1t9dvy71.jpg

Ha! I love some good old shoddy remastering.

Nothing beats this one though.

sddefault.jpg
  • Haha 1

Thanks @Helmsly, there is definitely a marked difference between the PS5 and Switch versions but, given I'm probably only going to be playing it in handheld mode, I don't think the hit to the visuals will bother me too much. Framerate obviously looks to be chugging but it seems better than the originals at least, I'll wait for more impressions, see if anything in the game is truly broken or if the fuck ups are only visual, but i'll probably pick this up soon. 

It's a shame it has ended up in quite a state but I did start to get suspicious when we got closer to release with no new Switch footage. I would say I'd wait for a sale but given this is Rockstar and Nintendo who knows if/when that will happen so for now I will make do with San Andreas on GamePass!

On 11/11/2021 at 1:24 PM, Happenstance said:

Sounds like the game isn't running all that well with framerate drops and some of the new graphics aren't exactly amazing. I think I might wait until the PC version gets a nice discount before I buy it. 

Comparison (Reveal hidden contents)

qh56b1t9dvy71.jpg

Matt has found work post Wii Sports at least

MattDACot.JPG.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Some glitches and stuff I've been seeing about this game are quite shocking and this is on the PS4/5 and PC versions. Worst offender for me is the dodgy rain effect:

Meanwhile, I think this glitch is hilarious:

https://streamable.com/vwt0qg

Edited by Helmsly
  • Haha 1

Deary me, that rain is dreadful! Between this, Sonic Colours and Pokémon DP, 2021 seems to be the year of remakes that seemingly should be simple get spectacularly messed up. 

Edited by Josh64

1 hour ago, Josh64 said:

Deary me, that rain is dreadful! Between this, Sonic Colours and Pokémon DP, 2021 seems to be the year of remakes that seemingly should be simple get spectacularly messed up. 

Advance Wars clearly delayed itself out of 2021 for this exact reason ;) 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Advance Wars clearly delayed itself out of 2021 for this exact reason ;) 

It has been saved! And I don't know about Pokemon but this at least makes Sonic look like much less of a disaster. Colours Ultimate seemed awful on Twitter but my personal experience with it was great with just the odd audio glitch. It gave me a false sense of security thinking many of the GTA problems/glitches were rare or infrequent so I was really disappointed to play it and actually feel as though the Twitter response was forgiving - It is absolutely awful on my Xbox One S. I'm sure it's not as bad on Series XSPS5 but the frame dips and awful shaders make it feel like I'm playing on a Wii U. 

22 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

Colours Ultimate seemed awful on Twitter but my personal experience with it was great with just the odd audio glitch

The main glitches being shown off on twitter were due to very quickly changing between levels in different worlds. It definitely shouldn't have been there due to the chance of seizures, but it was something that extremely few people would encounter naturally. A lot of the footage was from people trying to trigger it. 

I ordered the physical version from ShopTo on eBay for £35.88 so hopefully it is worth the risk at that price 😅

I'm not much of a GTA fan at all but I'm mainly buying the game for Vice City. I tried to play it when I downloaded it on PS3 a few years ago but it was so blurry that it was barely playable.

Having fired it up yesterday, that's definitely still the case. In fact, it's worse than I thought!

As long as the Switch version runs to some sort of acceptable level, I'll be happy enough. If not, shouldn't lose too much from selling it on!

Digital Foundry have said that they'll be taking a look at all three of the games in the collection, starting today with GTA III:

This is what they had to say pertaining to the Nintendo Switch version of the game, taken from the write-up on Eurogamer:

Nintendo Switch is not a good option. For starters, in docked mode, the game seems to average around 648p or thereabouts - it's very low-res but it's the visual changes that really stick out. Firstly, ambient occlusion, while ugly on newer consoles, does at least help ground objects in the world. With this feature absent on Switch, you get the impression that objects and cars just sort of float in the scene - it looks atrocious. It's also missing some of the more advanced effects like reflections as well as post-processing like motion blur and components like lens flares. It's basically just blurry and lacking in detail... and it still runs poorly. There's a 30fps cap (with inconsistent frame-pacing, of course) but it also drops beneath the target regularly. In some ways, I would argue this runs and feels worse than the original PlayStation 2 version. I mean, when you see games like Dying Light or The Witcher 3 humming along on the Switch, this just winds up feeling even less acceptable. It's a mess. Portable mode? Expect the same thing but with a circa 480p resolution.

And at a beefy 40 minutes, it still doesn't seem like John got to say/show everything he wanted to, not just for the Switch version either. 

And in conclusion:

Ultimately, my conclusion is that the only versions that run reasonably OK most of the time are Xbox Series X and the PS4 Pro code running on PS5.

Yikes. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Julius said:
Digital Foundry have said that they'll be taking a look at all three of the games in the collection, starting today with GTA III: 
Nintendo Switch is not a good option. For starters, in docked mode, the game seems to average around 648p or thereabouts - it's very low-res but it's the visual changes that really stick out. Firstly, ambient occlusion, while ugly on newer consoles, does at least help ground objects in the world. With this feature absent on Switch, you get the impression that objects and cars just sort of float in the scene - it looks atrocious. It's also missing some of the more advanced effects like reflections as well as post-processing like motion blur and components like lens flares. It's basically just blurry and lacking in detail... and it still runs poorly. There's a 30fps cap (with inconsistent frame-pacing, of course) but it also drops beneath the target regularly. In some ways, I would argue this runs and feels worse than the original PlayStation 2 version. I mean, when you see games like Dying Light or The Witcher 3 humming along on the Switch, this just winds up feeling even less acceptable. It's a mess. Portable mode? Expect the same thing but with a circa 480p resolution.

480p for a PS2 remaster, Christ.

Edited by Sheikah

Watched the DF video earlier and, although it wasn't a surprise after all the reports this week, it was still pretty shocking to see how poor the conversion is (seemingly on all platforms). Hopefully the developers can address some of the more glaring issues with the Switch version, it really is unforgivable that it sometimes runs worse than the PS2 original, even with the more detailed textures and higher target resolution a game this size really shouldn't be buckling on Switch. You have to have some sympathy for the developers, they're a small team and this is seemingly their first Switch project so in retrospect it isn't a surprise that it has serious issues, especially when you consider that they had to churn out a version for every console under the sun in the same short timeframe. The blame should be pointed squarely at Rockstar & Take Two, it seems like a rushed cash grab rather than a celebration of a beloved trilogy, if they had wanted to treat the games and their fans with respect then they would have given the developers ample time and support to produce a quality product - perhaps even produced it in house at one of their many studios and given the Switch port to a team with experience of, you know, actually making a game for the Switch hardware.

I would still like to play through the games on a portable but will undoubtedly wait and see if they address any of the issues down the line before picking it up but in it's current state it really doesn't seem worth £50. 

Holy Shit!!

This thing is a literal joke.  Fan mods are more competent than this cluster fuck!

This literally is the Lazy Devs meme in real life!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

This thing is a literal joke.  Fan mods are more competent than this cluster fuck!

Damn, you can imagine these devs are being talked to by Rockstar right now. Oh, to be a fly on the wall in those meetings.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Holy Shit!!

Yeah I saw something on Twitter (and can't be bothered to track down) where there's a donut shop with a lug nut next to it which in the remaster is how pretty much round and speculation that this was why. 

That digtalfoundry video is genuinely fascinating. It's insane that the only way to get this game running at 60fps is to download the PS4Pro version...on a PS5. I am not excusing this but I assume the developer team were small and were under a strict deadline?

17 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Yeah I saw something on Twitter (and can't be bothered to track down) where there's a donut shop with a lug nut next to it which in the remaster is how pretty much round and speculation that this was why. 

FESqqi0XIAMwx86?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Helmsly said:

That digtalfoundry video is genuinely fascinating. It's insane that the only way to get this game running at 60fps is to download the PS4Pro version...on a PS5. I am not excusing this but I assume the developer team were small and were under a strict deadline?

I literally cackled with laughter when they said that the PS4 Pro version (not even base PS4!) runs at a mere 854p and STILL can’t hit 30FPS!

The Switch version in portable mode literally looks and runs worse than the PS2/Xbox original!!

This will go down in history as one of the absolute worst ports of all time, right down there with the likes of DOOM Saturn, DOOM 32x, Silent Hill HD Collection and Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis on GBA (Hey @Cube, now you don’t need to feel so bad about that one!).  Just a monumental fuckup of biblical proportions (and it’s even a rushed out anniversary release! Just like STH Genesis for GBA, It’s clearly in good company!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1