NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jonnas

Games so bad... that they're actually good?

So, this is a topic that's been in my head for a while.

I'm sure we've all heard of The Room, the infamous Tommy Wiseau film, the poster boy for films that are "so bad, they're good":

The more accurate definition would be "a film that's bad in a very specific, laughably entertaining way", but that isn't as snappy.

Anyway, I've been thinking about if this specific type of entertainment can also be applied to videogames. Generally speaking, a mess of a film can still be watched (in horror, or in bile fascination), but a badly made videogame may be too difficult or frustrating to play. Furthermore, a film can be watched with friends during an afternoon, or while drunk, but games don't usually have that same ease of entry, either.

An example of what I'm talking about: About a year or so ago, I watched a fascinating video on a bizarre game called Mystery of the Druids

I understand if you don't have the time to watch it (it's about one hour long), but I do recommend checking it out at some point. It's basically a summary of a playthrough of the game. And by all means, it fits the definition of "So Bad, it's Good"... and yet, the game itself sounds like hell to play, figuring out some of the more cryptic parts of this Point&Click (especially that part with the cat in the docks) sound like real roadblocks in any attempt at laughing at this game. It definitely sounds like one that's better experienced in videos like this (at which point, it may just be a short film, anyway).

And yet, not too long ago, we've been graced with this gem of a cutscene from Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin:

If all of this game's edge is translated into cutscenes like the above, but the gameplay is solid (and it sounds like it is), then maybe the sort of game with hilariously bad plot, but is nevertheless playable, is actually more common than I thought.

I do think this may be a far more subjective topic, however (and one that's rarely discussed or explored, I feel). I can see the case being made that FF Origin wouldn't count as a "bad" game in the same vein as The Room (because a lot of people believe a game isn't bad if the gameplay isn't hilariously bad either). What do you guys think? And more importantly, can you think of more games that would fit the definition of "So Bad, it's Good", and still be entertaining to play?

• Thanks 3

As a person who recently has been gifted absolute clunkers of games for the past few Christmases, I can most definitely input some experience here, at the risk of encouraging a certain someone to continue that trend.

You kinda hit the nail on the head when you mentioned that 'So bad, it's good' games sound like actual hell to play. With something like The Room, it's truly entertaining, but not in the way that was intended and no matter what, it'll have the same run-time for every person (unless they need to rewind just to see if what happened actually happened).

With a game, bad design and mechanics only serve to lengthen the play-time, making the game less enjoyable. I played Shadow the Hedgehog recently and the best bit about it are easily the cutscenes, and certainly not in a good way. It's similar to Final Fantasy Origins in that it tries to be really dark and edgy and fails spectacularly, because it doesn't fit at all. Seeing that game faceplant over its premise is endlessly hilarious.

The problem is that everything in between the cutscenes is an absolute pain to plod through that stops being funny after 5 minutes. If Shadow the Hedgehog was a movie, it would certainly fit the 'So bad, it's good' category.

And that's the issue. If you're playing one of those games, it can't truly be good, because then it wouldn't be bad. Games can't have horrible gameplay and still be enjoyed. Now another person watching and laughing at the struggle ensuing on the screen? That's a whole different thing entirely. So that's why I think when people say a game is "So bad, it's good", they haven't actually played it.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Shadow the Hedgehog

Oh man, that's such an obvious shout! So many 3D Sonic games fit the definition, and like you say, much better to watch, rather than play. I'm reminded of the Game Grumps and the "unavoidable chin move" that prevented them actually finishing Sonic and the Black Knight. But the rest of it was entertaining to watch for sure (Knuckles: "I must take my own life...", Sonic: "Gimme a break!")

I think there is a market for it, especially if games like Goat Simulator or Deadly Premonition are anything to go by.

I think they key is why they're so bad. I think you need to be able to laugh at it, rather than get frustrated by it. Or if it is frustrating, it needs to be chaotic/silly enough to still be funny.

• Thanks 1

Goat Stimulator is great because you can put the slow motion filter on and blast Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill and it works perfectly. I'll have nary a bad word said about it. 

2 hours ago, Goafer said:

I think there is a market for it, especially if games like Goat Simulator or Deadly Premonition are anything to go by.

I think they key is why they're so bad. I think you need to be able to laugh at it, rather than get frustrated by it. Or if it is frustrating, it needs to be chaotic/silly enough to still be funny.

Deadly Premonition is an interesting case, the jankiness of it all serves to actually enhance the weird, unsettling tone it's going for.

It's a happy accident. The sequel did not have lightning strike twice, however...

Huh, I didn't even remember games like Goat Simulator, I Am Bread, and such. That sort of janky game that's mostly a sandbox engine showcase might be the most consistent sort of entertaining bad game.

At the same time, it's a different feeling when the game is intentionally janky/unfinished... I'd say that sort of game reminds me more of the likes of Sharknado (which is intentionally shlocky and ridiculous) than The Room (clearly meant to be something decent/thoughtful). I guess even this sort of odd quality comes in different flavours, in either medium.

13 hours ago, Ashley said:

Goat Stimulator

I see what you did there, you big ol' pervert.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Goafer said:

I see what you did there, you big ol' pervert.

That was my phone, I kid you not. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Huh, I didn't even remember games like Goat Simulator, I Am Bread, and such. That sort of janky game that's mostly a sandbox engine showcase might be the most consistent sort of entertaining bad game.

At the same time, it's a different feeling when the game is intentionally janky/unfinished... I'd say that sort of game reminds me more of the likes of Sharknado (which is intentionally shlocky and ridiculous) than The Room (clearly meant to be something decent/thoughtful). I guess even this sort of odd quality comes in different flavours, in either medium.

The thing about those games is that they need to be pulled off really well (the game, not the goat @Ashley).

The games appear broken, but actually function entirely how they are designed to. It's more of a form of video game humour.

One game of that type that I've played, Totally Reliable Delivery Service, is just a really low effort game that's just "disguised" as one of those humourous games. It just feels broken because it's actually broken and, as a result, is just bad in a boring way.

I think how frustrating a broken game can be is partly why it's hard to find enjoyment out of truly bad games. I'm playing a lot of Sonic games and the "bad" games I've enjoyed have been due to the good elements of it, not because I'm laughing at the bad parts.

I suppose some people might enjoy functional games that have absolutely terrible plots (such as Twelve Minutes), but those are more "amusingly bad" in the exact same way as a film would be.

• Like 1

On 04/10/2021 at 8:32 AM, Glen-i said:

And that's the issue. If you're playing one of those games, it can't truly be good, because then it wouldn't be bad. Games can't have horrible gameplay and still be enjoyed. Now another person watching and laughing at the struggle ensuing on the screen? That's a whole different thing entirely. So that's why I think when people say a game is "So bad, it's good", they haven't actually played it.

And while that makes perfect sense.. I can't deny the need I have to experience Big "motherfucking" Rigs for myself, now I'm reminded of it.

Sign in to follow this