NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Fan Films and Games

I wanted to post this awesome DKC (based on the show) fan animated short as it is awesome:

And figured a thread about fan content in general would be nice as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When my biggest criticism about that animation is that K.Rool's bloodshot eye isn't bloodshot enough, then you know it's proper quality.

Speaking of proper quality... (Fair warning: There's a brief 30 second moment that I feel warrants a seizure warning at the 13:20 mark)

This is a 1 and a half year endeavour of more than 60 creators to bring you a 15 minute medley of (mostly) video game music mashed up with voice clips from the Old Spice commercials Terry Crews did. And it has no right being as good as it is!

The production values, both audio and visual, of this are insane! The whole thing is one massive trip! Not to mention the real surprising games some sections are sourced from. (I'm talking Mother 3 and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon)

It's glorious!

EDIT: Oh right, forgot to mention, even the Closed Captions for this are great! You should try turning them on.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weird 1

I've always been blown away by this Paper Zelda concept, the video is just incredibly well done!

I would buy the absolute crap out of this game if it was real!! :D 

• Like 5

Fantastic idea for a thread @Cube :smile:

I'm sure I'll think of more, but the one that immediately comes to mind is the Zelda x Ghibli concept trailer. 

It came out some six months before Breath of the Wild and the Switch, which is funny to think about, considering just how much Ghibli influence your can feel in BotW, at least from a thematic and plot perspective. 

What I feel the best fan projects like this manage - which so many high budget adaptations of video games have missed the mark on time and time again - is matching the tone of the games they're trying to adapt. 

I think this does it extremely well, the colour palette and simple but bold lines of a Ghibli-inspired fan project pretty perfectly matching with the soundscape of Zelda's Lullaby and the myriad of deserted locales featured from across Hyrule. There's a melancholic quietness to it all that can be found in Zelda games, and which is found in plenty of Ghibli films. Seriously seems like a match made in heaven. 

And yeah, I know certain shots are pretty much lifted from actual Ghibli films (such as that shot of Link riding Epona matching with Ashitaka riding Yakul on his journey to the west in Princess Mononoke), but still, think it makes for a fantastic fan short! 

EDIT: 

I'm sure I'll think of more

Well, it didn't take long. Got Breath of the Wild on the mind now, and this is another one I'm sure others here will have comes across:

Nintendo better not go and give a Zelda series or film to Illumination, or some other American animation studio, that's all I'm saying. I mean they have a manga for crying out loud, it's screaming out for a high quality anime! 

EDIT 2

Okay, I swear this is the last time I update this post, but I have Zelda on the mind now and it is what it is; Ember Labs having an awesome Majora's Mask fan animation really is something. 

Think the lesson I've reminded myself of in the last 10 minutes is: holy smokes does Zelda have some crazy talented and dedicated fans! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Julius said:

Think the lesson I've reminded myself of in the last 10 minutes is: holy smokes does Zelda have some crazy talented and dedicated fans! 

Oh yeah, Nintendo, in particular, seem to attract some serious talent. Being a bit of a fan artist myself, I've seen it plenty of times over the years.

Of course, the crazy part of your statement is a bit of a double edged sword. I should know.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this