NEurope
Cube

Kirby and the Forgotten Land (March 25th 2022)

I was already on board for the game but the demo has now made me very excited for its release. The game plays stupidly well, the soundtrack sounds to be something special and the fact that there are missions/achievements to do in each level makes this a must have for me. Seriously, I can't get over how awesome the music is in this demo. Lovely stuff.

I had a huge grin on my face whilst playing this. The demo just gives off good vibes and oozes charm. Can't wait.:bouncy:

It really is a happy game with lots of charm. No, it's not hard but at least you have to watch out just a little this time. The missions are also a nice touch (only got 4/5 flowers on stage two and I thought I was thorough). 

I do wish it was sped up a little bit, though. Kirby is slow.

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

I'm not saying games should be soul crushingly difficult all the way through but I just don't think the past Kirby games I've played have had a good balance. They were so easy that it was just not fun to play them. 

Well, the whole point of Kirby has always been to be games that anyone can finish. It's the mission statement of the games.

Played it just now. Absolutely lovely. Just fun to play in general, really soothing

Spoiler

Got all the side-missions on the first run, but I thought they were already pretty good for the 1st level. Did everyone unlock the enhanced copy abilities at the end? I think that was a completionist bonus, but I'm not sure.

The only thing that bothered me was when it shows moving enemies and objects in the distance/background, and they have much lower framerates than the foreground. Pretty jarring when you notice it.

10 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Amazing 

Its so simple yet so perfect. 

On 03/03/2022 at 8:47 PM, MindFreak said:

It really is a happy game with lots of charm. No, it's not hard but at least you have to watch out just a little this time. The missions are also a nice touch (only got 4/5 flowers on stage two and I thought I was thorough). 

Did you go back and get the last one (or try again). I got them all on the first go. I decided to give the demo a go, and I loved it, it's so full of charm and character. Even though I loved how dark it was when this game was originally shown, I'm glad they went with this style, it just fits better. Played through once on "Spring-Breeze Mode" and then again on "Wild Mode" Not too much difficulty change on the levels in the demo, but I could have sworn there were a few extra enemies. And of course Kirby had like twice the amount of life on the easy mode.

Spoiler

Did everyone unlock the enhanced copy abilities at the end? I think that was a completionist bonus, but I'm not sure.

@Jonnas Yep I got that too, and two codes for when the game is released, but then I seemed to get everything in the demo too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The demo has done nothing to dissuade me. Delicious! :D 

(It's kind of made me want Bomberman 64 on the NSO for some reason...)

• Like 1

Finally got round to paying the demo and the game is ridiculous and I love it

On 3/3/2022 at 10:06 PM, Glen-i said:

Well, the whole point of Kirby has always been to be games that anyone can finish. It's the mission statement of the games.

Yup.  These games are super approachable for just about anyone.  And for those that want a challenge? Most Kirby games include some sort of speedrun mode where you are challenged to beat the game as quickly as possible with various restrictions in place; which provide a hearty challenge...

... and then there's the post-game content, which rachets up the difficulty from super easy to soul meltingly hard on a dime!

While the games aren't particularily hard to beat for a casual player, they're very popular speedrun games for a good reason!

Edited by Dcubed

So you only get some challenge out of the game if you replay it? That's stupid. 

I don't replay games or watch movies twice because I have too much to do. I just want a game that is fun the first time I play it and playing a game that does not at least give me reason to mind what I'm doing and doesn't have a good story is just unnecessary to play. 

19 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

So you only get some challenge out of the game if you replay it? That's stupid. 

I don't replay games or watch movies twice because I have too much to do. I just want a game that is fun the first time I play it and playing a game that does not at least give me reason to mind what I'm doing and doesn't have a good story is just unnecessary to play. 

If you require an immediate challenge to enjoy a game then yeah, the franchise is probably not for you. There's plenty of other things to enjoy (the co-op mode, the mechanics, the daftness) but it's not a franchise that throws you into the deep end. 

On 15/01/2022 at 8:50 PM, Ashley said:

It won't happen but I'd love to see a re-release of Air Ride for the 30th. Never got a chance to play it but heard lots of great things about it. 

Thinking about this again and I just looked and its £150 at CEX (although no stock) and ebay prices are pretty ridiculous too. We can but hope...

11 minutes ago, Ike said:

If this is anything remotely like the 25th anniversary symphony they did back in 2017? This is gonna be a real treat! :D

Edited by Dcubed

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

If this is anything remotely like the 25th anniversary symphony they did back in 2017? This is gonna be a real treat! :D

Funny you mentioned that because they uploaded a song one from the 25th anniversary concert.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

EDGE Magazine gave this an 8

"compact, imaginative adventure is a low key triumph, a work of great craft and wit that, unlike its lead, doesn’t bite off more than it can chew and it only leaves you hungry for more."

Rest of the reviews should be out tomorrow.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Thanks 1

More reviews going up now, looking goooooood: 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's faring way better than I expected. Looking good. Hopefully I'll get my review copy tomorrow.

Edited by MindFreak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nice to hear that the technical side is solid this time around (1080p Docked with DRS down to 810p at the worst, mostly 720p Portable with minor DRS, and a rock solid 30FPS); was very disappointed with Star Allies in that regard.

Also really glad to hear that it has proper 5.1 surround sound support.  Drives me absolutely nuts when Switch games don't support it!

Edited by Dcubed