NEurope
Happenstance

Return of Gamesmaster

After a 23 year absence, GamesMaster will be returning to our screens. The pioneering show was one of the first to bring games and gaming culture to a mainstream TV audience and, while of its time in certain respects, was never quite replaced by what followed. Twitch is fine and all, but you haven't lived until you've seen a grown man spit the dummy after falling off Mario 64's Cool, Cool Mountain slide.

The series returns in what Channel 4 insists on calling "a social-first" form, with episodes appearing first on E4's Youtube before airing on the normal E4 channel. The show will be co-produced by Future's Barcroft TV (disclosure: PC Gamer is owned by Future) and Alaska TV...

https://www.pcgamer.com/gamesmaster-is-coming-back/

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Twitch is fine and all, but you haven't lived until you've seen a grown man spit the dummy after falling off Mario 64's Cool, Cool Mountain slide.

:laughing: I remember that. Used to love GamesMaster.

Doubt this new version will be anything like the old one though, unfortunately (especially in terms of humour) but will still check it out.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, can’t imagine that it’s be anything like the original series; but I’m interested to see how it turns out :) 

They’ve got the name which is a start. So far they’ve managed to keep the host & Gamesmaster themselves a secret (or simply that they haven’t found anyone yet!), but it’ll be interesting to see who they get, as I remember Patrick and Dominic being a huge part of the original series.

They have announced the hosts:

The revived GamesMaster will be hosted by videoGaiden veteran Robert "Rab" Florence, aided by esports presenter Frankie Ward and comedian Ty Logan.

All three will, of course, also be joined by the floating head of a GamesMaster - although their identity remains under wraps.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-09-29-gamesmaster-revival-hosts-announced

Rab is a good choice, Consolevania & Videogaiden deserved a larger audience so hopefully this leads to more interest in his other work

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, killthenet said:

Rab is a good choice, Consolevania & Videogaiden deserved a larger audience so hopefully this leads to more interest in his other work

Yeah, not to mention the fact that he's basically Dominick Diamond. :heh:

Personally I'd rather see the return of Games World.

Specifically Wednesday nights and Madam Pixel's Peep Parlour

ScreenShot20211025at.jpg

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

You know what? I don't hate that. 

Patrick Moore was such a bizzarre choice at the time and this is in the same vein. I can totally imagine Trevor McDonald playing a similar character.

I was ready to completely dismiss the new GamesMaster, show but this alone has got me interested. It seems they're approaching it with the same sense of humour.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I could see Trevor McDonald working pretty well as a new Gamesmaster

42 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Personally I'd rather see the return of Games World.

Specifically Wednesday nights and Madam Pixel's Peep Parlour

ScreenShot20211025at.jpg

This image bought back a ton of memories. GamesWorld was so strange but entertaining. I always enjoyed Big Boy Barry's Joypad, with David Walliams doing random impressions in front of a green screen while reading it cheats. And of course, the Games Mistress:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

Holy crap! That’s an amazing casting choice! He’ll make a great Gamesmaster! :D 

The original presenters were so iconic the producers will have had tough time replacing them without causing toilet much uproar.  I’m happy with those choices & really looking forward to this.

Ah Games World. I too have fond memories of that.  I still hear Bob Mills as an occasional guest on ‘Fighting Talk’ on BBC Radio 5Live, and good to see ‘Big Boy Barry’ is still involved in the video game industry as a guest on podcasts and the like. Jet was amazing casting choice at the time too!

• Like 1

I saw that person flubbing the jump in the first castle level of 3D World! And they didn't even pick Toad for maximum speed!

"Expert Gamers", my hole!

But yeah, looks promising. Especially more sold on Trevor McDonald's voice there, as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goafer said:

The first episode is now on YouTube.

I've actually watched it now and it's not perfect, but it's way better than I ever expected it to be. Some notes:

Trevor McDonald is perfect. 

The main host is no Dominic Diamond, but I quite like him.

The cohosts are a bit weaker, but fine.

It genuinely feels like the GamesMaster I remember, awkward guests and all.

The golden joystick is still just a shit joystick painted gold and I've never wanted anything more.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Goafer said:

I've actually watched it now and it's not perfect, but it's way better than I ever expected it to be. Some notes:

Trevor McDonald is perfect. 

The main host is no Dominic Diamond, but I quite like him.

The cohosts are a bit weaker, but fine.

It genuinely feels like the GamesMaster I remember, awkward guests and all.

The golden joystick is still just a shit joystick painted gold and I've never wanted anything more.

Nice. I'll have to watch that when I get home.

Apart from the tedious box-ticking with all the subtlety of an elbow to the face, that was really enjoyable! Great throwback to a different time on tv.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Apart from the tedious box-ticking with all the subtlety of an elbow to the face, that was really enjoyable! Great throwback to a different time on tv.

Whilst I agree that they were clearly going for diversity (hardly a bad thing tbf), at least it wasn't at the cost of getting actual gamers.

Contestant 1 (arguably the most "inclusive"/divisive) was an actual speedrunner, Contestants 2 were hardcore COD players and the rest were white males.

The only bit that stood out as trying a bit too hard was asking contestants 2 about their relationship. Other than that, every contestant was treated as a gamer and nothing else, which I actually found refreshing.

2 minutes ago, Goafer said:

Whilst I agree that they were clearly going for diversity (hardly a bad thing tbf), at least it wasn't at the cost of getting actual gamers.

Contestant 1 (arguably the most "inclusive"/divisive) was an actual speedrunner, Contestants 2 were hardcore COD players and the rest were white males.

The only bit that stood out as trying a bit too hard was asking contestants 2 about their relationship. Other than that, every contestant was treated as a gamer and nothing else, which I actually found refreshing.

I think any of us on this forum could have done better on Mario 3D World, so I have to wonder about their selection process, but otherwise, fair enough. Maybe Star Trek Discovery has made me over-sensitive about this kind of thing. Apart from that silly bit of saying the two women were a couple, it was about the gamer and games, you're right.

Think I'll give this a go as it goes... but I'm rage quitting at the first hint of celebrities semi-sarcastically pretending they're gamers. xD

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I think any of us on this forum could have done better on Mario 3D World, so I have to wonder about their selection process, but otherwise, fair enough. Maybe Star Trek Discovery has made me over-sensitive about this kind of thing. Apart from that silly bit of saying the two women were a couple, it was about the gamer and games, you're right.

For me it wasn't mentioning they were a couple, as COD was part of their relationship and they would have asked the same of any straight couple. It was the "What do you love about her?" that was just a bizzarre choice. That was the only bit where I thought they were a bit much. I'd feel awkward if they asked that of a straight couple too tbf.

IIRC contestant 1 was a Sonic speedrunner, so they were probably fairly new to the game. There's no denying that they were almost certainly chosen for the diversity angle, but they were easily my favourite of the contestants and it never felt heavy handed or forced.

Plus, pregnant or not, I'd have fought that co-host for the jacket if the contestant lost.

Overall, a very positive start to the series though. Hope they keep it up and the initial awkwardness of new hosts goes away.

1 minute ago, Sckewi said:

Think I'll give this a go as it goes... but I'm rage quitting at the first hint of celebrities semi-sarcastically pretending they're gamers. xD

The show was always about making fun of celebrities who had no idea what they were doing. That was part of the fun!

• Like 1