NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Spider-Man 2 (20th October 2023)

41 minutes ago, WackerJr said:

It looks very nice, and smooth (as expected), and that trailers feels like it continues the gameplay from the previous game(s).

Silly question, should I know why Peter Parker is wearing a black outfit with venom-escque powers?  I haven’t played Miles Morales so it may have happened there.  If it’s only explained in the comics or is something which will happen in the game then that’s fine, I don’t need it spoiled, I just didn’t know if it was something I should have already known about before the trailer?

We saw the symbiote at the end of the first game if I remember right in a lab but no, we haven't seen anything with Peter getting it. This was that reveal.

• Thanks 1

They showed Venom in an earlier teaster trailer too, so it looks like the whole plotline is going to involve the Symbiote.

The Symbiote is a alien goo that melds with a human host to create a monstery type being. When it melds to Spider-man, he becomes like an edgier version of himself with powerful goo powers

Digital Foundry's analysis of last week's Showcase footage is up:

Finally: a date! October 20th! 

Why we couldn't get this at Showcase I have no idea, but alas, there it is! 

The game will be centre stage at San Diego Comic Con this year, stepping up on Hall H on Thursday 20th July:

• Thanks 1

Trailer from today's SoP:

Think it's the best showing of the game so far, just rattling off everything new. 

Also got a showcase of the Digital Deluxe suits:

And a reminder that previews drop tomorrow at 15:00 BST

Bit over a month to go now, excited to return to NY! 

Holy shit :o

Can't wait. My mate and I are ready to game share and split the bill :D

I really wish that the first game's PS5 remaster was available on PS+ :(

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2

Holy shit
Can't wait. My mate and I are ready to game share and split the bill
I really wish that the first game's PS5 remaster was available on PS+
That's insane! Such a cool way to fast travel! Any other method is going to feel so slow and outdated in future.

3 hours ago, drahkon said:

Holy shit :o

The fast travel genuinely looks insane, reminds me a lot of what Sucker Punch managed to do with it in Ghost of Tsushima - that thing loaded things up incredibly fast when played on even a base PS4! 

I will say, it's an interesting choice in a game where I seriously think the method of traversal in swinging around is such a highlight of the game, but considering they've added an entire other borough of NY, it makes perfect sense. Plus, y'know, it's just nice to have the option! 

I really wish that the first game's PS5 remaster was available on PS+ :(

Honestly, I think PlayStation should've got more flack than they did for how they've handled the first Spider-Man on PS+/PS5. The PS5 remaster never came to it, it was only released individually as an upgrade a few months ago outside of the Ultimate Edition of Miles Morales, and they removed the first game from PS+ altogether earlier this year, too. 

I think Miles Morales is available through PS+ Premium, if you're cool with the idea of jumping straight into 2 then I'd honestly recommend giving it a try! It cuts out a lot of the busy work and trims the fat of Spider-Man 2018, making it considerably shorter and leaner, and is also a super easy Plat. Wouldn't be a bad way to dive in if you're unable to get your hands on 2018 first! 

2 hours ago, bob said:
Holy shit emoji33.png
Can't wait. My mate and I are ready to game share and split the bill emoji3.png
I really wish that the first game's PS5 remaster was available on PS+ emoji20.png

That's insane! Such a cool way to fast travel! Any other method is going to feel so slow and outdated in future.

Oh man, I hadn't even thought about that, but you're so right. I don't think it'll make Spider-Man 2018 or Miles impossible to return to...but I definitely think it'll be harder to go back. 

And to think, I'd only just talked myself out of replaying those games before 2 lands, too. Damn it, thanks Bob!! :p

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Julius said:

The fast travel genuinely looks insane, reminds me a lot of what Sucker Punch managed to do with it in Ghost of Tsushima - that thing loaded things up incredibly fast when played on even a base PS4! 

I will say, it's an interesting choice in a game where I seriously think the method of traversal in swinging around is such a highlight of the game, but considering they've added an entire other borough of NY, it makes perfect sense. Plus, y'know, it's just nice to have the option! 

Honestly, I think PlayStation should've got more flack than they did for how they've handled the first Spider-Man on PS+/PS5. The PS5 remaster never came to it, it was only released individually as an upgrade a few months ago outside of the Ultimate Edition of Miles Morales, and they removed the first game from PS+ altogether earlier this year, too. 

I think Miles Morales is available through PS+ Premium, if you're cool with the idea of jumping straight into 2 then I'd honestly recommend giving it a try! It cuts out a lot of the busy work and trims the fat of Spider-Man 2018, making it considerably shorter and leaner, and is also a super easy Plat. Wouldn't be a bad way to dive in if you're unable to get your hands on 2018 first! 

Oh man, I hadn't even thought about that, but you're so right. I don't think it'll make Spider-Man 2018 or Miles impossible to return to...but I definitely think it'll be harder to go back. 

And to think, I'd only just talked myself out of replaying those games before 2 lands, too. Damn it, thanks Bob!! :p

I wasn't just thinking of future Spider-man games (or past ones), i was thinking about literally any other game where you have to go to the slow old method of scrolling across the map, finding a fast travel location closest to where you want to go, watching the boring fast travel animation, and then having to traipse across the remainder of the map to eventually end up where you want to be in the first place.

53 minutes ago, Julius said:

I think Miles Morales is available through PS+ Premium, if you're cool with the idea of jumping straight into 2 then I'd honestly recommend giving it a try!

barack-obama-what.gif

1694780187321.jpg

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, drahkon said:

barack-obama-what.gif

1694780187321.jpg

spiderman-tas-sweat.gif

...replay it and pretend you're Peter in the first game? :p

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Julius said:

...replay it and pretend you're Peter in the first game? :p

And go against what the Platinum description says: "Be yourself"?
What's wrong with you today? :p

• Haha 1

Preview time baybeeeeeee

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

And go against what the Platinum description says: "Be yourself"?
What's wrong with you today? :p

why-michael-scott.gif

• Haha 1

On 9/15/2023 at 6:16 PM, drahkon said:

Really nice to see, and great to have the 40 fps option as a middle ground seemingly from the get-go this time around? Think I'll see what the trophies are saying for the Plat, if a second playthrough/NG+ is required then I might go Quality (30 fps) for my first go and then Performance (60 fps) for my second, but that will only be if Photo Mode doesn't auto-change to Quality (which it did in Miles, at least, and I imagine Remastered too). Exactly the type of game I want to play in 60 fps, and considering how Insomniac have been this gen, I doubt there are going to be any major hiccups in going with that option. Plus, Miles was an absolute delight my second time around at 60 fps! 

Also, looks like we can slingshot ourselves from pretty much anywhere we can reasonably find this time around, which is super cool! 

On 9/15/2023 at 6:16 PM, drahkon said:

Insomniac are just above and beyond any other devs :o

Honestly, it's really hard to disagree. We're still a good bit shy of the midway point for this gen, but in just under 3 years they'll have launched 3 all-new current/next-gen games, and heck, if we want to be pedantic, 4 in total if we're considering Remastered. 

They're the best PlayStation has to offer at the moment for my money, as I'm struggling to think of any other studio with their combined quantity and quality of output this gen; heck, off the top of my head, I'm struggling to think of any other team under the PlayStation Studio who have put out more than one new game this generation. Guerrilla with Forbidden West and Call of the Mountain, maybe? I know COVID will have been a factor in delaying some projects, of course, and that knock-on effect likely meant it took longer for some teams to even get their first PS5 game out there...but that still doesn't change the fact that Insomniac have had the output that they have. It would have been something praiseworthy in a world without COVID, but in a world with? Kudos to them. 

And we already know Wolverine is on the horizon, as well as probably another R&C game or something else completely out of left field. It's just wild! 

• Like 1

New details on accessibility options for the game are shared in this week's PS Blog update:

Some excellent stuff in there, really looking forward to seeing how certain communities respond to these additions, the Challenge Level Modifiers (basically more granular difficulty sliders) are welcome in every game I've come across them in, and super curious to see just how the slowed Game Speed options (70%/50%/30%) appear in action. Photo Mode returning as a programmable button on the D-Pad is something I've loved in the other games, and know I'll love here; love playing around with the photo modes in games like this!

Other additions on the way in the free December update are Screen Reader, Audio Description, and Captions – all completely welcome additions too. 

PlayStation are still absolutely leading the way on accessibility in AAA titles as far as I'm concerned, such an excellent initiative they've got going on over there in their big games :D

22 days to go! :bouncy:

• Like 1

Always happy to see accessibility features even though I'm lucky enough to not need them.

I do, however, always appreciate stuff like auto-complete QTEs and skip puzzles in games like these :p Speaking of: The mate I'm game-sharing with has Spider-Man: Remastered in his digital collection so you know I just had to download it.
Turns out: I never finished the PS4 version back then :o

As is tradition, Monday Night Football coming through: the game's TV Spot looks lovely! 

The hype is real, 17 days to go! It's been a while but I still hate the "new" Peter face, even if at this point we've had it longer than we had the original. It just looks so Tom Holland-y, and it still takes me out of the unmasked Peter moments. 

Just tonight finished replaying (and getting the Plat in) the first game but in its Remastered form, and had a blast. Looks beautiful. Far from a flawless game (swear this version is riddled with more bugs than the PS4 version of the game), which I'll get into more at another point, but there are times where that game is untouchable as far as Spider-Man stories and sequences go. Really curious to see if I still prefer whizzing through it in NG+ when I give that a go, I remember the game felt so different as a story and with its pacing when just crit pathing it, and generally it just felt more fun that way.

Miles fixed a good few of my issues with the game though, so if the promised 25-30 hours time to beat (in line with getting the Plat in the first game) is anything to go by, hopefully it's a leaner but more plentiful go-around. 

Anyways, in other news, the game is going to have 10 levels of web assist, with the default being maximum/Level 10:

I'm honestly not sure how to feel about this. Options are good, but I don't think I saw a single soul complain about the level of assist in other games? I can see myself potentially toying with it in challenges (replaying some of the Drone Challenges in Spidey 1 definitely for me thinking about how it's just not tight or precise enough in that very specific scenario), but otherwise? Going to be leaving that on default. Again, potentially a good option to have: but I don't need the additional choice paralysis when the swinging around was the most fun and virtually flawless part of the game in 2018 and in Miles. 

On 9/28/2023 at 9:12 PM, drahkon said:

Turns out: I never finished the PS4 version back then :o

spider-man3-tobey-maguire.gif

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Julius said:

spider-man3-tobey-maguire.gif

Fair enough :p

I've started playing it, but thanks to EA FC24 and the long weekend we're currently having, everything aside from Clubs is on the back burner :laughing:

GameXplain with a big ass blunder in breaking embargo and getting their review discussion up...and then unlisting instead of setting to private. So it's still up (for now). 

Haha, whoops. Won't be watching that, so more importantly: only 8 days left to go! 

Launch trailer dropped yesterday, and reviews are abound today! 

Trailer:

Reviews: 

Just 4 days to go!! :bouncy:

• Like 1

Noice! :peace:

Not watching anything, though.

Got the Platinum for Spider-Man Remastered some time ago, Spider-Man 2 is pre-loaded and ready and if everything goes well I'll get time off from work on Friday so I can play all night (or rather until I fall asleep :p). Fingers crossed :D

• Like 1

17 hours ago, drahkon said:

Not watching anything, though.

Yeah, honestly, think this could just be a blanket statement for Insomniac games at this point – they've absolutely got my full trust and I don't feel like I need to watch a second of reviews or commentary, because I'm onboard (especially after how good the first two Spidey games were!). There's a very easy argument to be made I think that they're the best in the biz and have been for a hot minute now alongside Nintendo EPD (because, I mean, well) and From Software (because, I mean, well) for their sheer output in both quality and quantity. 

Will admit that I read the highlights of the DF tech review, though, mainly to try to figure out what mode I'll play the game in! Which will probably be Performance Mode (shocker), because it's very hard to go back from 60 fps in a game like this...so thank JJJ for Photo Mode incorporating Fidelity Mode :D

17 hours ago, drahkon said:

Got the Platinum for Spider-Man Remastered some time ago

Nice! How did you find it?

I replayed it for the first time since 2020 (prep for Miles) just a couple of weeks ago myself and got the Plat (again) in the Remastered version too. Some things just can't be helped :laughing:

Edited by Julius

Sign in to follow this