NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Spider-Man 2 (20th October 2023)

16 minutes ago, bob said:

I'm going to have to buy a PS5 for this aren't I!?

Everyone has their price point

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Everyone has their price point

Balderdash!

I've never even entertained the notion of buying a PlayStation console! Ever!

Just now, Glen-i said:

Balderdash!

I've never even entertained the notion of buying a PlayStation console! Ever!

Well you're missing out :p

dark-side-cookies.gif

• Haha 1

I was just last night saying to a friend I hope this gets announced soon as it’s one of my most wanted games. Really looking forward to it, just wish it wasn’t so far away.

Not quite getting the massive hype for this. Sure, the first one was a solid game, the traversal was absolutely sublime and the main missions were decent for the most part. However, the stealth based combat was really basic compared to the Arkham games, it just seemed really easy to pick off the enemies as they were incapable of looking slightly upwards (yes, I know Batman had it too but at least the enemies got more sophisticated in the way they tracked you down) Miles Morales was even even worse as you could turn invisible.

But my main problem with the game was the open world setting. It was boring as hell and other than tracking down icons on a map (which is such a dated way to build an open world game) there wasn’t a great deal to entice you to explore but I guess that’s the fault of the city of New York itself, it’s just a bunch of tall buildings with a park in the middle…but where else can you set a Spider-Man game? 🤷🏽‍♂️

Yes, I’ll probably get a lot of heat for saying that. I’m not saying it was bad, it was a solid game - 7/10 for me but I just hope they can do more with the map and stealth combat this time. 

• Like 1

Most Sony first party openworlds are pretty dated tbh, but yeah Spiderman's was just a means to have you swing around a city. The one good thing it did do though was dish out the collectibles throughout the game, rather than all at once. Made actually collecting them and 100%-ing the game much easier and more fun.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but I stopped playing Horizon because of this. Am currently umming and ahhing over whether to buy Ghost of Tsushima as I hear that has the same style of icon following. 

Slightly off topic but I stopped playing Horizon because of this. Am currently umming and ahhing over whether to buy Ghost of Tsushima as I hear that has the same style of icon following. 
I found Ghost of Tsushima very droll. A really outdated open world game I felt, and a bit of a slog to finish.
  • Thanks 1

I'm playing Ghost of Tsushima at the moment, about halfway through and I find it's another example of an outdated Sony openworld. A prime example of developers putting all their focus on telling a cool story and building a cool world, and actually making it a fun game is way down the list of priorities. 

I'm enjoying my time with it but it's incredible repetitive. Every mission is pretty much the same and the gameplay variety just isn't there.

They tried to make the openworld BOTW-like in that you just explore and stumble on things, but it still becomes an icon-fest, just a slower paced one.

• Like 2

I found Ghost of Tsushima very droll. A really outdated open world game I felt, and a bit of a slog to finish.
That doesn't sound very droll.

Not quite getting the massive hype for this. Sure, the first one was a solid game, the traversal was absolutely sublime and the main missions were decent for the most part. However, the stealth based combat was really basic compared to the Arkham games, it just seemed really easy to pick off the enemies as they were incapable of looking slightly upwards (yes, I know Batman had it too but at least the enemies got more sophisticated in the way they tracked you down) Miles Morales was even even worse as you could turn invisible.
But my main problem with the game was the open world setting. It was boring as hell and other than tracking down icons on a map (which is such a dated way to build an open world game) there wasn’t a great deal to entice you to explore but I guess that’s the fault of the city of New York itself, it’s just a bunch of tall buildings with a park in the middle…but where else can you set a Spider-Man game?

Yes, I’ll probably get a lot of heat for saying that. I’m not saying it was bad, it was a solid game - 7/10 for me but I just hope they can do more with the map and stealth combat this time. 
I believe you're overthinking it.

The first game is good because you can...be Spider-Man.

The second will be similarly as good if they let you do more Spider-Man stuff, in a Spider-Man way.

As you say, remove all the Spider-Man stuff, and the game is a solid 7/10. But the fact that you get to swing around, beating up bad guys in New York AS Spider-Man? 10/10.

It's like wondering why people buy FIFA games - the game mechanics and presentation may be cack, but people will still buy it to play as their favourite team, or favourite player, in their favourite kit etc.
  • Thanks 1

I'm playing Ghost of Tsushima at the moment, about halfway through and I find it's another example of an outdated Sony openworld. A prime example of developers putting all their focus on telling a cool story and building a cool world, and actually making it a fun game is way down the list of priorities. 
I'm enjoying my time with it but it's incredible repetitive. Every mission is pretty much the same and the gameplay variety just isn't there.
They tried to make the openworld BOTW-like in that you just explore and stumble on things, but it still becomes an icon-fest, just a slower paced one.
For me it's one of the most perplexing games of the last few years, one that gets a lot more praise and credit than it's due. I can only guess it's down to the immaculate presentation and theme.

24 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
23 hours ago, Ronnie said:

For me it's one of the most perplexing games of the last few years, one that gets a lot more praise and credit than it's due. I can only guess it's down to the immaculate presentation and theme.

Yeah the presentation is superb but to nitpick it can also be pretty unpolished at times. Things like NPC animations and interactions. Or how your mission of going somewhere and killing mongols (because, what else?) involves being on a ship, so you press RT on a little rowboat on land, the screen fades to black, and then fades in to you being on the ship.

I've played a few more missions since my post and man, it's getting really tedious doing the same thing over and over.

I'm going for the platinum but I have no idea why, probably my annoying completionist self forcing me into doing it when I have no real desire to play this game bar the main missions. But yeah, I wish this didn't have trophies.

Yeah the presentation is superb but to nitpick it can also be pretty unpolished at times. Things like NPC animations and interactions. Or how your mission of going somewhere and killing mongols (because, what else?) involves being on a ship, so you press RT on a little rowboat on land, the screen fades to black, and then fades in to you being on the ship.
I've played a few more missions since my post and man, it's getting really tedious doing the same thing over and over.
I'm going for the platinum but I have no idea why, probably my annoying completionist self forcing me into doing it when I have no real desire to play this game bar the main missions. But yeah, I wish this didn't have trophies.

Very early on I decided to not bother with most of the sidequests after I learned there were loads of repeat quests within a given sidequest branch. There's just not enough variety in the game in terms of gameplay to make me want to play them.

Also the most enjoyable map marker for me was slicing bamboo, but the rest had nothing to them that was enjoyable.

11 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Very early on I decided to not bother with most of the sidequests after I learned there were loads of repeat quests within a given sidequest branch. There's just not enough variety in the game in terms of gameplay to make me want to play them.

Also the most enjoyable map marker for me was slicing bamboo, but the rest had nothing to them that was enjoyable.

I love it when I stumble on a bamboo slice, which is weird given it's pressing three button combos in a row in the space of about 15 seconds, but that says it all about the game. 

Sooooooooo Venom's voice actor for Spider-Man 2, Tony Todd, has just potentially revealed on Twitter that the game is landing in September:

(cue the people saying Sony aren't scared of Starfield, when really we all know there's a good chance of another delay :p)

That... is a massive breach of a non-disclosure agreement, if true. Gonna be interesting to see how Sony reacts to this.

(On the extreme side of things, one such breach once lead Nintendo to replace Male Byleth's voice actor... after Three Houses had been released. They found a new voice actor and patched out the previous guy's voice. Probably only feasible because Byleth talks so little to begin with :p )

A prequel comic just got announced for Free Comic Book Day:

Think we're about to see marketing start to kick in for this game now, what with SpiderVerse just a month away, and a trailer for the game not being ready in time for that would be a potentially huuuuuuuuuge missed opportunity. 

Excited to hopefully hear from Insomniac in the coming month or so and finally get a release date and some more details on the game :D

Generic release window of Fall 2023 it is, then :blank:

Before we had reason to believe it was coming in September with the VA leak, and now we have reason to believe it is coming between September and November. 

Woo. 

(looks like more Spidey so I'm in at least)

It's coming out November 2023.  There, I spoilt it for you :p

I mean... it's Sony's one big first party 2023 game, when else is it gonna come out?

It looks very nice, and smooth (as expected), and that trailers feels like it continues the gameplay from the previous game(s).

Silly question, should I know why Peter Parker is wearing a black outfit with venom-escque powers?  I haven’t played Miles Morales so it may have happened there.  If it’s only explained in the comics or is something which will happen in the game then that’s fine, I don’t need it spoiled, I just didn’t know if it was something I should have already known about before the trailer?

Sign in to follow this