NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
bob

Wheel of Time (TV show)

Now the first trailer has dropped, I'm going to start a thread for this.

"Set in a high fantasy world where magic exists, but only some can access it, a woman named Moiraine crosses paths with five young men and women. This sparks a dangerous, world-spanning journey."

The IMDB synopsis is so very vague, but it's very difficult to sum up the books in a short paragraph.

I've never been so hyped for a television show. This is my favourite book series, and in my opinion, is the best fantasy book(s) of all time. It's very early obviously, but the trailer looks to be doing it justice so far.

If you have read the books, please keep any book spoilers in a spoiler tag which states they are book spoilers, rather than show spoilers. It's going to be tricky keeping future plot points secret to anyone who hasn't read the books otherwise!

• Like 1

I got to the eighth book before being too bored to keep going. Granted it had been a couple of years and other books between 1-5 and 6-8, but so much to keep track of, so many random characters... it became more effort than it was worth by the end of it (and I even re-read the first 4-5) so I gave up.

If they manage to film the plot of all 14 books, would be nice to see how it all ends. But I'm not going to be reading them again.

New trailer:

Looks good! Some questionable things going on, such as the weird Waygate design, but otherwise it looks very exciting!

Yeah, that looks really good. Such a shame that this is on Amazon Prime. There's just too many streaming services to subscribe to these days. 

34 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Yeah, that looks really good. Such a shame that this is on Amazon Prime. There's just too many streaming services to subscribe to these days. 

I'd normally agree but Prime is such a good deal for everything that's included.

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

I'd normally agree but Prime is such a good deal for everything that's included.

That may be true. But I've got Disney+, Netflix and HBO Max as well as some local ones. I may go for Prime when The Boys season 3 lands, hopefully this will then also be airing.

That may be true. But I've got Disney+, Netflix and HBO Max as well as some local ones. I may go for Prime when The Boys season 3 lands, hopefully this will then also be airing.
If it helps, there's ways you can get those other services much cheaper if you look around. Disney+ I've never actually paid for; you can basically continuously get this is a free add on if you're on O2.

1 minute ago, Sheikah said:
22 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

If it helps, there's ways you can get those other services much cheaper if you look around. Disney+ I've never actually paid for; you can basically continuously get this is a free add on if you're on O2.

Danish citizen here. :p But yeah, getting it for a year at a time gives a nice discount. We get streaming services with our phone subscription as well (though not for free).

On 28/10/2021 at 12:31 PM, Sheikah said:
On 28/10/2021 at 12:10 PM, MindFreak said:

How do you continuously get Disney+ for free on O2? I got a free bolt for a while but now it costs the same per month as a normal membership. 

How do you continuously get Disney+ for free on O2? I got a free bolt for a while but now it costs the same per month as a normal membership. 

You get Disney+ for 3 months free (used to be 6 months) for signing up for 12 month contracts. For instance I originally signed up some time ago for 10 GB and unlimited mins and texts for £8 a month. Then when the Disney+ sub ends you can just upgrade your tariff again by finding another deal via somewhere like uSwitch. If you click to add the new deal to your basket, you can then upgrade your existing number and it gives you the Disney+ again (and the contract is extended to 12 months again, which is fine since the tariff is really good value, and in my case I kept getting more GB for the same cost per month every time I upgraded). Basically keep an eye on HotUKDeals for deals like this one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

You get Disney+ for 3 months free (used to be 6 months) for signing up for 12 month contracts. For instance I originally signed up some time ago for 10 GB and unlimited mins and texts for £8 a month. Then when the Disney+ sub ends you can just upgrade your tariff again by finding another deal via somewhere like uSwitch. If you click to add the new deal to your basket, you can then upgrade your existing number and it gives you the Disney+ again (and the contract is extended to 12 months again, which is fine since the tariff is really good value, and in my case I kept getting more GB for the same cost per month every time I upgraded). Basically keep an eye on HotUKDeals for deals like this one.

Nice one!

Just looked into and if I did it now I'd have to pay off the remaining £150 odd on my current contract but I'll look into again after Christmas :)

Nice one!

Just looked into and if I did it now I'd have to pay off the remaining £150 odd on my current contract but I'll look into again after Christmas

Ah...is that because your tariff included a phone? Or is a more expensive tariff? There are other more expensive tariffs (e.g. 20 GB data ones) that you can find by searching "O2" on HotUKDeals that maybe won't cause you to "downgrade" (and pay money), since you won't be downgrading.

3 hours ago, Sheikah said:

Ah...is that because your tariff included a phone? Or is a more expensive tariff? There are other more expensive tariffs (e.g. 20 GB data ones) that you can find by searching "O2" on HotUKDeals that maybe won't cause you to "downgrade" (and pay money), since you won't be downgrading.

Its a phone/tariff combo and more expensive tariff as well :heh:  I'm paying a ridiculous amount per month at the moment!

I'd rather just wait a bit and then get a much cheaper monthly one. I also have Virgin Media broadband/tv which means I can get double data, so a 20GB tariff would actually be 40G! I barely ever go over 1GB!

Sorry to interrupt this phone data conversion, but there is a new teaser video out:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FANologyPV/status/1455928084230598658

The Dragon could be reborn as a woman...

I think it's just to spread the intrigue in the first season as to who the Dragon is, i.e it could be Egwene or even Nyneave if they make her they same age as everyone else.

Going to be a bit weird, I wonder how they'll work that into the show. Obviously Egwene does start to channel, so presumably that will make her a prime suspect for a while, but it'll also change the dynamic between Moiraine and Egwene, since she'll presumably be less excited that Egwene can channel.

Show is out now! Well, the first three episodes.

I'm loving it! So far it's holding up really well for me as a book reader, and my non-reader wife is enjoying it too.

I've watched the first episode, tis how I imagined it, but going to wait for more episodes to drop before I dive in.

Episode 4 is the first major diversion from the books. Still good though. I can see why they are making changes.

Book 1 is a bit dull in places, and most of the characters are underdeveloped. It's good that the show is fleshing them out earlier on.

I was a bit reluctant to watch S2 of this after feeling a bit let down by season 1. However, as the show has gone on, i've realised that I'm actually enjoying it more the further they deviate from the books. Not only do i stop nit-picking all the tiny details being wrong (because the changes are large scale instead), I realise that i don't know what is going to happen next, which makes it a bit more exciting!

It's kind of like a new story in the universe of Randland, which feels a bit familiar, but is ultimately different. I still get to see all the locations and some of the characters from the books, but I get to watch a new-ish story being told.

Anyway, i'm greatly enjoying it, and my wife is very on-board with it too (she asked to see a map last night, as she was getting confused as to where everyone was - i almost fainted with glee, grabbing one of the books from the shelf to show her).

One of the few things i'm not enjoying is the actor playing Perrin is crap - he can't act at all. He looks the part, but I can't stand his weird whispering voice that he does, and his 'beast mode' bit is just bizarre. Maybe he'll improve.

• Like 1

I've just got up to the episode where they ended stepping into The Ways, and I'm starting to think I wish I hadn't read the books, because this feels like a massive departure in some pieces. Some I expect to be cut for TV, but other things seem to have been put in for no reason. Suane Sanche was meant to be one of the youngest peeps there, but now she's that old chick (I can't remember the actress but she does the same stuck up role she does in everything else she does), and I certainly don't remember her lezzing it up with Morraine...

Loial I imagined as much more of a beastman snout like appearance, as to why people keep confusing him with a trolloc, however he just seems to be a tall dude with a big nose - Google has a lot of illustrations have him like that, so this one is on me. They did a terrible job creating this though, slap a potato on his nose, give him big hands and New Rock boots...

Sign in to follow this