NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

PlayStation Showcase 2021 (Thursday 9th September 2021 @ 21:00 BST)

8 minutes ago, Ashley said:

How is it dishonest if they say it's not coming out for years?

I think it's more the "not actual gameplay" that I think is the worst thing about these CG trailers.

And let's face it, most of the time, games normally don't look as good as that first reveal trailer.

9 minutes ago, Ashley said:

It’s dishonest because the game they’re selling the console off of the back of does not currently exist.  It may not even be released on the hardware that you are claiming it’s getting released on! (Why hello The Last Guardian, Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3!).  And nothing that is shown of said game is even remotely representative of what the game is actually going to be like.

It’s lies and bullshit.  They’re selling hardware off the back of vague promises and dreams.

Edited by Dcubed

It's not great sure, but I don't think anyone is buying a console now for a game not yet available and buy nothing else. And sure the CG isn't great, but at least they specify it's not actual gameplay so it's difficult to say it's intentionally misleading. 

All hardware is sold off vague promises and desires. You give it a chance that it'll work out and you'll enjoy what's released. 

I watched it for a second time this morning to get a fresh look at what was shown and I think I've come away a rad disappointed that we didn't see more from Sony's first party studios. Hermen Hulst has been on record as saying they've got 25 games in development across PlayStation Studios, half of them new IPs. We saw one here, that being Marvel Wolverine, but I was hoping we'd see a bit more as to what some of those other titles are, even a teaser. Guess they're further down the line than the current slate, which is fine as this generation definitely isn't a sprint, it'll be a marathon as a result of a slower first and second year on the market due to the pandemic slowing things (obviously not in terms of consumer purchasing).

The Marvel stuff doesn't do much for me. Never watch an XMen film or Wolverine and while Spiderman and Miles Morales are good, they're quite by the numbers for the type of game they are. God of War Ragnarök looks fantastic though. Can't wait for that next year. GT7, meh, much prefer an arcade racer myself.

On the other games, so hyped for the KOTOR remake. I know its years away but its one of my favourite games of all time and I've been going back and watching videos of the original since it was officially announced (there have been rumours about it for the last year) and I can't wait to see what they do with it and whether they incorporate anything from 2 or not.

Alan Wake Remastered was leaked prior to the event and I knew it was going to be shown here. Still very happy to see it. Picking that up to play on my PS5 even though I've played through it numerous times. This is also one of the games Remedy has an agreement with Epic for. Theyve currently got 5 games in development in house, this remaster, the single player component of CrossfireX, a co-op multiplayer title, a new game in the Control universe and a 5th game that we don't know about. If I had to hazard a guess, I suspect the multiplayer game is the second game agreed to as part of the Epic agreement. I do suspect that the 5th game is a new Alan Wake title as the AWE expansion for Control reignited desire for a sequel and this remaster will undoubtedly test the waters for it.

Liked the look of Project Eve. Tchia looked lovely, sort of like Windbound mixed with the supposedly cancelled Wild so its right up my street. That showing of Forspoken looked great to me, even if it wasn't running the smoothest.

Beyond those, couldn't care less about GTA V. Already have it and won't be playing again. Tiny Tina's Wonderland did nothing for me as I've grown tired of the Borderlands formula. Guardians looks ok but again, I'm not overly fussed for all these superhero games (and I haven't seen the movies). Ghostwire Tokyo continues to look a little rough round the edges. It just doesn't look like it'll all come together but I could be wrong there.

So yeah, it was a good showing. Would've liked to see more from Playstation Studios but as I say, its a marathon and I'm already swimming in games through the end of this year and there'll be plenty next year to look forward to (Horizon Forbidden West and GoW: Ragnarök). I'm sure we'll see what Pixelopus, Naughty Dog and the like are working on in due course.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

It's not dishonest in the slightest, they're showing what games are on the way. Or shall we say, it's far less dishonest than talking about a makebelieve Switch 2 coming out in 2023 without a shred of evidence.

The dishonesty though did come in say, telling us that God of War Ragnorok was coming out around now, when that was never going to happen, but generally speaking Sony's announce things years in advance to much fanfare and hype is mostly just annoying, imo. They did it last year and just ended up showing those same games year after year at E3.

Nintendo do it on occasion, but for 90% of their games, release them very close to the reveal. Metroid Prime 4 would be out by now if it hadn't restarted development, but Bayo 3 was clearly announced way too early. Same as BOTW, but again, they mentioned how the scope of that game doubled when they realised what a good thing they had going.

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

It may not even be released on the hardware that you are claiming it’s getting released on! (Why hello The Last Guardian, Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3!)

Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3? That's your often quoted theory. It has no basis in fact.

Edited by Ronnie

1 hour ago, Ganepark32 said:

I think I've come away a rad disappointed 

Typo of the year

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3? That's your often quoted theory. It has no basis in fact.

It might be a theory, but it's a sound one, in my opinion. I'd be more surprised if those games didn't get pushed back to the next console.

Bayo 3 has had nothing shown for 4 years now, and then there's the very recent tweet from Bayo's voice actress saying that she's not been contacted about it. That's bizarre, no matter how you slice it.

Both of those are clearly going through development hell of some kind. It might be a cross-gen deal, perfectly possible, but I would defo not rule that theory out.

21 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It might be a theory, but it's a sound one, in my opinion. I'd be more surprised if those games didn't get pushed back to the next console.

Bayo 3 has had nothing shown for 4 years now, and then there's the very recent tweet from Bayo's voice actress saying that she's not been contacted about it. That's bizarre, no matter how you slice it.

Both of those are clearly going through development hell of some kind. It might be a cross-gen deal, perfectly possible, but I would defo not rule that theory out.

I've no issue with the theory itself, things might turn out that way, we'll see. My issue is stating it (and the Switch 2 releasing in 2023) as fact, when it's not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I've no issue with the theory itself, things might turn out that way, we'll see. My issue is stating it (and the Switch 2 releasing in 2023) as fact, when it's not. 

Eh, maybe it's because I've known him all my life, but he does that a lot. He's more right than not though, so I'd just roll with it.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Platinum have said that they want to show off Bayonetta 3, suggesting that it's in a decent point of development.

The voice actress has further stated they she can't give any further details, so could simply mean that this is the last game.

Sign in to follow this