NEurope
Dcubed

Pokèmon Prèsents 18/08/2021

If BDSP actually has mechanics from the later games, I will be pleasantly surprised!

Unless it's Dynamax, that mechanic can stay in Galar.

content-4-36542-pokemonpresents18082021banner.jpg

Pokémon Presents 18.08.2021 to be shown on Wednesday 18th August

Now up on the main page. :peace:

N-Europe will have the full Roundup article posted, shortly after the presentation.

- - - - -

Hopefully they will show off a far better demo of Legends that doesn't look as rough. 

Looking forward to it but I don't have any expectations. 

3 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Hopefully they will show off a far better demo of Legends that doesn't look as rough. 

Looking forward to it but I don't have any expectations. 

Well, we've already seen that BDSP has updated the models for the playable trainers thanks to the Switch OLED trailer.

Pokémon games tend to look better closer to release.

Edited by Glen-i

55 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Well, we've already seen that BDSP has updated the models for the playable trainers thanks to the Switch OLED trailer.

Pokémon games tend to look better closer to release.

That's true. They do. But I'm not just talking about graphics for Legends Arceus but rather what we have sen of the game. The gameplay looked really rough and the world barren. I'm hoping they delay it to smooth out the edges.

I have unfortunately absolutely no interest in the remakes. It doesn't look like they'll bring much new to the table this time around so I think I'll pass on them. I hope to be proven wrong, though.

5 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

That's true. They do. But I'm not just talking about graphics for Legends Arceus but rather what we have sen of the game. The gameplay looked really rough and the world barren. I'm hoping they delay it to smooth out the edges.

I have unfortunately absolutely no interest in the remakes. It doesn't look like they'll bring much new to the table this time around so I think I'll pass on them. I hope to be proven wrong, though.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't count on a delay for Legends: Arceus.

Pokémon mainline games almost never get delayed once a date has been set.

The Pokémon Company are annoyingly stubborn when it comes to that.

Welp, time to let my expectations go crazy so that I can come away from this disappointed :hmm:

Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl - I won't lie to you, I'm already disappointed in this based on what we've seen so far. I'm really not liking the art style (colours aside it just looks...atrocious), from a content perspective - hey, I could be wrong here come Wednesday, and I want to be! - and it seems like it's probably going to the most phoned in Pokémon remake to date. I'm praying that I'm wrong and come away from this showing foaming at the mouth to play this, but I think it's more likely I'll come away not caring all that much and might find myself just playing Platinum instead, or going back and getting Let's Go.

I think it's really telling that the biggest hope seems to be for new Mega Evolutions - which we haven't had for nearly seven years now? - and we don't even seem to have any serious hopes of regional forms either, as opposed to the potential for either Z-Moves or Dynamaxing turning up here. 

I say all this but if they knock the music out of the park my hand will be forced. The plight of being trapped by nostalgia. 

Legends: Arceus - I know it was a rough showing last time out: it was an old version of the game even then, it was a year or so out when announced, etc. But putting all of that aside, they need to just show that this game can run well enough. Not even well

Would like to hear some music, see a settlement or two, maybe even some unedited gameplay would be nice just so we can get a better idea of what we're in for here. It's definitely the one I'm more excited for here, so fingers crossed for a decent showing. I hope Game Freak can convince us that they know what they're doing. 

Might as well follow @Julius's example.

Legends: Arceus - Nope, don't care. Next!

OK, fine! If it turns that this isn't actually an open-world game, I might be more interested, but otherwise, nah. Skyrim sucked, BotW sucked, Xenoblade X suffered for it. I highly doubt Pokémon is gonna be able to nail it.

Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl - After OR/AS and it's kinda rubbish implementation of remake shenanigans, (Missing content from Emerald was unacceptable for me) my standards for this are quite low.

Honestly, if this manages to include the Distortion World, the extra wild Pokémon Platinum had, and most importantly, the Battle Frontier, then I'll take that as a victory.

Cool things that would be nice and relatively realistic to implement but won't because we can't have nice things.

- Mega Evolutions. Let's Go had them, but it was mostly pointless because abilities weren't in that game. The ability change is the main reason why most Pokémon benefit from this mechanic. Gen 4 has abilities, which means Megas won't be in this, because that'd be sensible!

- More than 493 Pokémon. For context's sake, that's as many Pokémon as the 4th generation had. Yes, my standards are so low, I'm not expecting any Pokémon from later games to be able to be used in this. Which means my shiny Greninja will still be stuck in Sun/Moon. And no, adding Sylveon because of obligatory Eevee is not good enough.

Crazy dream land of awesome things that'll never happen despite being awesome!

- Triple/Rotation Battles. I miss these formats...

- Sinnoh Regional variants. Yeah, that's never happening. But just imagine. And then imagine if all the new variants were from Gen 5 onwards? That'd be a cool twist to make this game feel more fresh to those who played the original.

- Emerald Battle Frontier Facilities. The reason they weren't in OR/AS is because they were playing the long game to give us the ultimate Battle Frontier! Is what I tell myself as I cry myself to sleep.

But yeah, not expecting to be particularly wowed by this showing. (Good thing it's on Wednesday then, can't watch it until Thursday)

EDIT: Worth noting that there's an "and more" in the description for this presentation. So there's likely to be a few other things. Whether it's a new spin-off, or update news for existing games remains to be seen.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm curious about Legends because I'd like them to explore the mythology more but it just looks like an empty world game and I don't think that'll change much. I recall saying when it was revealed it feels like it's set in ancient times more to justify the lack of built up environment rather than anything from a narrative perspective but we shall see. 

10 hours ago, Julius said:

Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl - I won't lie to you, I'm already disappointed in this based on what we've seen so far. 

I'm curious to see what they do with secret bases (if anything...), otherwise, I'm disappointed in these based on what I played on the DS. Brilliant in name only! Beware! :shakehead Brilliant Disappointment and Shining Poo more like. 

50 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

I'm curious to see what they do with secret bases (if anything...), otherwise, I'm disappointed in these based on what I played on the DS. Brilliant in name only! Beware! :shakehead Brilliant Disappointment and Shining Poo more like. 

That's kinda harsh.

Even if it is the bare minimum and just a straight conversion of the original games, it's still Diamond/Pearl, which I'd place as the 4th best generation. (Just above Gen 1, as far as I'm concerned)

People who've never played the DS originals will definitely find value in there. They're solid Pokémon games.

53 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

That's kinda harsh.

*Mick Dundee voice* That’s not harsh…

12 hours ago, Glen-i said:

BotW sucked

THAT’S harsh! :heh: 

Anyway, will we finally hear something about the most eagerly anticipated Pokémon tittle of all time during this event?…

Pokémon Sleep! :hehe: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Pokémon Sleep! :hehe: 

Yeah, forget the mystery of how Legends: Arceus plays!

I'm still not entirely sure what this is supposed to be!

• Haha 1

Can't wait for the Presents tomorrow. I think everyone has high hopes for Arceus. Hopefully tomorrow will reveal enough information to find out whether those hopes are hit or not. xD

1 hour ago, Sckewi said:

I think everyone has high hopes for Arceus. 

29ea919872502ba5cc591de33f5ff0a1_w200.gi

• Like 2

On 14/08/2021 at 7:27 AM, Ashley said:

I'm curious about Legends because I'd like them to explore the mythology more but it just looks like an empty world game and I don't think that'll change much. I recall saying when it was revealed it feels like it's set in ancient times more to justify the lack of built up environment rather than anything from a narrative perspective but we shall see. 

Can we propose this as the new name for the genre? Sure beats Open Air at least.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

29ea919872502ba5cc591de33f5ff0a1_w200.gi

I think he's right, though. High hopes and high expectations are entirely different things.

28 minutes long apparently, that's hefty! Wonder if they'll show anything else outside of the remakes and Arceus. Or maybe another Pokémon 25 years reel or something.

Also, Pokemon in the topic title, that hurts almost as much as people saying Pokémons! Plus, Pokemon somehow sounds dirty.

What's with the amateur pan and zoom for this diamond and pearl trailer?

At least there’s something new in BDSP that wasn’t in the original DS version… it’s very small, but hey! It’s something!

Pokemon Legends is a shit Ubisoft empty world game where you exclusively do crappy side quests involving either fighting/catching Pokémon or you craft useless crap.  As expected.

Arceus looks like it might be a bit livelier than first feared but it is definitely Game Freak's attempt at aping BOTW. Visually it looks kind of ugly but at least it isn't a slideshow anymore (not exactly fluid but much better than its first showing). I think I'm more interested in Arceus than I am in D&P, looks as if it is attempting to change up the formula of the series, but I am still worried it might be a bit of an empty experience

• Like 1