NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Happenstance

Tech Pouch

I've just been putting myself together a little tech pouch as it can be helpful for work to have a selection of cables, card reader, usb drive etc and not have to switch all of them between bags as I tend to use a few.

Does anyone have any unique/helpful tech that they carry around? I'd love to hear some recommendations of interesting tech that you don't see everyday.

Not gonna lie, I may make up a bug out bag next for the end of the world. Already eyeing up plasma usb lighters and solar power banks :laughing:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, darksnowman said:

I don't know what it is you do, but a roll of cat-5 and some ethernet crimpers must be handy.

I stock shelves in Tesco, why do you ask?

……ok fine, I work IT in a school.

Its more of a personal tech pouch that will be handy in work so I’m probably not going as deep as cat5 cables etc. I was looking at the Xiaomi Wowstick electric screwdriver though so I’m already starting to expand past stuff I probably shouldn’t need in a personal one 😆 

You already mention a cardreader, but I really like my Sandisk Micromate. It's super small.. but not so tiny that you easily drop and/or lose it. I used to carry it with me when I was still carrying my compact camera with me all the time., and it'sstill getting plenty of use. But you can't buy those anymore, though you can buy others with a similar size.

If want a mirrorless camera, and once I get one, I'd carry that around every where and all the time. Including accompanying gear, like gorillapods and a mini RGB LED lamp. But that's camera stuff. You might want to look into a mini flashlight though, that could come in handy.

And something else I'd want that may come in handy: an E-ink notepad. Things like the Remarkable 2, or one of the Boox alternatives. Sony used to have one, but doesn't support it anymore, and doesn't seem to release new products. These two seem to be the best /most popular currently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

I stock shelves in Tesco, why do you ask?

Meant more what line of (I.T.) work are you in, wasn't being nosey. :p 

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

……ok fine, I work IT in a school.

A tin of compressed air on your utility belt might be useful for cleaning out grotty keyboards...!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sméagol said:

You already mention a cardreader, but I really like my Sandisk Micromate. It's super small.. but not so tiny that you easily drop and/or lose it. I used to carry it with me when I was still carrying my compact camera with me all the time., and it'sstill getting plenty of use. But you can't buy those anymore, though you can buy others with a similar size.

If want a mirrorless camera, and once I get one, I'd carry that around every where and all the time. Including accompanying gear, like gorillapods and a mini RGB LED lamp. But that's camera stuff. You might want to look into a mini flashlight though, that could come in handy.

And something else I'd want that may come in handy: an E-ink notepad. Things like the Remarkable 2, or one of the Boox alternatives. Sony used to have one, but doesn't support it anymore, and doesn't seem to release new products. These two seem to be the best /most popular currently.

Yeah I have a multi card reader for usb a, c & micro so I like that one. 

I do own a mirrorless camera but most of the extra stuff for that get's put with the camera and if it's small enough it's probably already in the tech pouch. I will be adding an external ssd next time they go on sale as well.

For note taking (which I rarely do) I already have my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra so that's done the job for me. Oddly enough though I was looking at the Boox Nova 3 Color yesterday as I'm in the market for a new e-reader but I settled on the Kindle Oasis instead.

In the pouch at the moment:

Kindle Paperwhite
USB C to USB C 60w cable
USB A to Micro short cable
InCharge X Multi cable (supposedly 100w but not always)
Wired earphones
Audio Jack to USB C adaptor
Spare SD card
128gb Dual A/C Memory Stick
Microsoft Surface Arc Mouse
SD Card reader
USB C to USB A adaptor
InCharge 6 Short Multi cable
Micro fibre cloth
65w Anker plug with USB A & C ports
20000mAh Ravpower Power Bank

Edited by Happenstance

Not quite as useful these days as it used to be, but I always have a USB thumb drive on my keyring.

And my second suggestion might not be techy enough, but I often have a philips head screwdriver and two Allen keys with me (the two sizes I have seem to fit nearly everything).

46 minutes ago, Mr_Odwin said:

Not quite as useful these days as it used to be, but I always have a USB thumb drive on my keyring.

And my second suggestion might not be techy enough, but I often have a philips head screwdriver and two Allen keys with me (the two sizes I have seem to fit nearly everything).

Yeah you've just reminded me that I do also have a 128gb dual type A/C thumb drive in there as yet another memory backup.

The screwdriver thing is definitely one that makes sense. As I mentioned earlier I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those pen sized electric screwdrivers. From what I've heard they don't have the most power ever but for a lot of electronic stuff they do the job.

51EVIBLQf4L._AC_SS450_.jpg

I honestly would keep a screwdriver as simple as possible.

On another forum I visit, some kind of credit card sized multitools are all the rage. Perhaps that's something you're interested in.

Edited by Sméagol

Just now, Sméagol said:

How boring :p

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

How boring :p

.. Until you run out of power and need to charge it right when you need it.

26 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

.. Until you run out of power and need to charge it right when you need it.

...at which point it turns into a regular screwdriver.

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Well, then forget what I said, though personally I'd save my money. 

2 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah you've just reminded me that I do also have a 128gb dual type A/C thumb drive in there as yet another memory backup.

The screwdriver thing is definitely one that makes sense. As I mentioned earlier I've been toying with the idea of getting one of those pen sized electric screwdrivers. From what I've heard they don't have the most power ever but for a lot of electronic stuff they do the job.

Since you're going to be carrying a Kindle Paperwhite at all times (top of the list, no less!) I'd like to know when you actually expect to do any work. :p What a bluffer.

2 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Yeah, but he wants to have some Doctor Who-style gear in his Mary Poppins-style pouch. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Since you're going to be carrying a Kindle Paperwhite at all times (top of the list, no less!) I'd like to know when you actually expect to do any work. :p What a bluffer.

Yeah, but he wants to have some Doctor Who-style gear in his Mary Poppins-style pouch. 

Finally, somebody’s gets it! 😆

I was starting to write how the kindle will only be used to fill time when I’m hanging around places or staying at a hotel but it occurred to me that I literally just put it down to reply to this message so maybe I use it more than I thought 😆

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Will it actually though? Some of the crap ones tend to be back-drivable without power, to may not even function when it runs out of power.

5 minutes ago, bob said:

Will it actually though? Some of the crap ones tend to be back-drivable without power, to may not even function when it runs out of power.

Yeah apparently so. I made sure to look it up before I replied just in case I was wrong and about to make myself look like a fool 😆

9 minutes ago, bob said:

Now I look like a fool.

You’ve looked a fool ever since you lost your doctor status

• Weird 1

Just took my fan apart to give it a clean and I had to do it with a manual screwdriver like a chump...

Since I built my PC two weeks ago I've realised the importance of a good screwdriver.

It's good to have a long one and a short one atleast preferably with magnetic heads.

I've been looking at an i fix it screwdriver set that has the handle and the rod with a load of different screw head bits that can attach.

I'd say i prefer manual screwdrivers since I can tighten the screw the way I want without the electric one stopping at a certian point.

i mean if you wanna get crazy how about systems on a go? obvs live usbs are always handy imo, but what about going mad to have a system with you? tbh i started this sitting here randomly wishing i had a wireless keyboard/mouse in one to cuss out ps4 noobs faster and then i thought - do they still do those hdmi systems on a stick? overkill on tech but a quick wireless keyboard and a whole OS you can stick into a hdmi port - well; tbh its more useful for social stuff than professional i guess(cos why would you use a system on a stick over classic hardware) but was just a random thing i remembered contemplating back in the day myself.

also btw the actual idea of a tech pouch is something i never considered but might do myself. poss a number of usb cables of various types a liveusb a portable charger pack a mains to usb plug etcetc. my only really problem is i used my pockets as a bag mostly; and whilst i like the idea of it being handy prepped easy to transfer easy to go etc. i can totes see myself losing a tech pouch and crying at all my lost shit thats super useful

• Like 1

I did think about something like that for a bit yeah but decided against it. If I want to work properly my laptop will come with me and if not the my Samsung phone as the Dex mode which basically turns it into a desktop pc if it's connected to a screen. Any gaming I need to do is on my phone as well with a load of emulators and the Razer Kishi controller adaptor I have.

Razer-Kishi-Stardew-Valley.jpg

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this