NEurope
Julius

Football Season 2021/22

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Obviously gutted it didn't go our way but it was a exciting end to the season. We done everything we could and I think our performance across the season has to be praised given just how many games we've had to play across all competitions.

Could've not lost to the West Hammers and/or the Jesters from Leicester. :( 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Obviously gutted it didn't go our way but it was a exciting end to the season. We done everything we could and I think our performance across the season has to be praised given just how many games we've had to play across all competitions.

Closest team to get to the Quadruple by, what, an entire month? It's amazing what Klopp's done with Liverpool over the last 7 years, especially in the face of Guardiola's City, and this season could still be his greatest yet, despite the league loss - kudos to you guys. Love to watch both teams play, such different philosophies, and they push each other to achieve so much. It's basically the managerial/club version of Ronaldo and Messi debates, think we're going to be talking for a long, long time about their rivalry. 

Still, a shame we keep getting you lot in cup finals, but anywho... :p

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

I was hoping Coutinho would remember how to score long range wonder goals right at the end, oh well. Hoping Thiago's injury isn't too serious.

Man Utd finishing 6th with 0 goal difference, that's got to be a record?

Yeah we suck

Hell of a stat though.

I'm sure we'll be in title contention next season after selling off 75% of our starting back four... 

Edited by Julius

Europa Conference League final tonight! 

Going to be rooting for Roma. Mou has done a great job since taking over, Tammy has been great for them, fingers crossed for Mou to become the first manager to win trophies at all three European levels. The ECL has been great to watch as we've got into the knockout rounds - essentially just another Europa League in terms of quality - so hoping for a great match to round off the competition's inaugural season! 

Hmm, I don't follow football, but I'm going to be aware of the result tonight either way, as I live next to Feijenoord's home city, and I'll probably be in Rotterdam myself tonight.

Roma have done it :D about as Mourinho a performance as you'd expect after they scored in the 32nd minute, hoofing the ball upfield and holding it in Feyenoord's corner as early as the 80th minute. Had a chance or two to extend their lead but never managed to, and Feyenoord just didn't click today in front of goal as they had managed to on the way to the final. 

Champions League final next! 

I have no idea who I think is gonna win tonight. Usually I'd think Liverpool have a good chance but its been obviously lately that the long season is catching up with us. Fingers crossed though for one last big performance.

11 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I have no idea who I think is gonna win tonight. Usually I'd think Liverpool have a good chance but its been obviously lately that the long season is catching up with us. Fingers crossed though for one last big performance.

Indeed. We really grinded out results out at the tail end of the season. We still don't have the depth that Man City have but then I don't think anyone does.

I'm just hoping for a good match. The Champions League final against Spurs was such a boring game.

Good luck to you Liverpool fans :peace:

I'm not too sure how this one goes. I think on paper this Liverpool comfortably beats this Real team more often than not, but then, I think what we've seen Real manage over the last few rounds, pulling out insane results in the closing minutes, just makes them an absolute wildcard and could easily unnerve Liverpool (as it might any team) in the closing 5 - 10 minutes. And while I think Liverpool's starting XI are, in my opinion, stronger than Real's across the pitch, Madrid's bench is filled with players who can instantly take the game in another direction.

I just can't logically bet against Real to pull it out of the hat like they've managed to several times this season, they have an undeniable underdog energy around them in the UCL for some reason the last few rounds - despite being recently crowned La Liga champions, and despite having the most European Cups/UCL's in their trophy cabinet by some margin - so if I had to give my verdict on who I think will win, it would be them. But like I said, Liverpool could just as easily win comfortably on the night; I love having no idea where it's going to go! 

As a neutral, I honestly just hope it's a fun match. This season's Champions League has probably been the one I've enjoyed the most since we won it in 2012, so many crazy results and goals, so I hope it doesn't fizzle out with a clean sheet and that both teams really deliver :D

Gonna need to take the chances we are getting otherwise we will probably end up getting punished later on.

Been a shoddy first half. That scare with VAR should be a kick up the butt that Liverpool need. Madrid will be patient and wait for that golden chance and most likely convert it.

Feel like Liverpool should really have put one of their chances away, unfortunately the lanky traitorous douche bag that is Courtois pulled off some great saves. 

Got off lucky with that offside call. It was the right call, but it's just a reminder of how quickly Real can turn it on and put it in the back of the net. 

Far from over, but it has been cagey. Hopefully it opens up in the second half! 

Almost fell asleep :D Granted, I'm still hungover but it wasn't a particularly good first half.

• Haha 2

Well, Peter Walton did an atrocious job of explaining that offside. As usual. 

Get what he's trying to say, and though it did deflect off Konate before bouncing off Fabinho's knee, look at Fabinho's angle of entry and momentum -- his intention is to get the ball out of there, which inevitably (with his angle and momentum) means it's going towards Benzema and Fabinho's own byline.

If nothing else, for me, the fact it took so long to check it through VAR is what I think should mean it wasn't a goal, it simply wasn't clear and obvious. I think they should have a timer for how long they have to check it, to be honest. 

Anyways, I think someone really needs to proofread the laws of the game, in its entirety. From where I'm standing I don't understand how you can have a handball rule which doesn't consider intent (much less reaction times; still think the only reasonable solution is to start lopping arms off) and then have another rule regarding what is and isn't offside depending on a player's intent. 

• Like 1

Agreed. The laws have become so pernickety that they've gone far beyond what they were trying to prevent. The handball rule was to stop people picking up the ball, or controlling it with their arms. The offside rule was to prevent people hoofing up to their striker who was hanging around next to the goalie. 

Now they're having to view each incident down to the millisecond and millimeter, and it's just gotten stupid. I realise you have to have a line, but they need to slacken off a bit. If the player didn't control the ball with their arm. It's fine. Give them the benefit of the doubt. If the players aren't miles offside, let them have it.

Oh, and Madrid have just scored.

• Like 1

TAA just turned off there, caught watching the ball and not paying attention to where Vinicius was. 

There's still time, but against this Madrid side I imagine it feels like they've got Everest to climb rather than any old mountain. 

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It was always going to happen. We've just not been clinical enough.

Yeah unfortunately the longer this went on the more likely this was to happen. I will give Courtois credit though, while we have been wasteful he has also been very good.

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Yeah unfortunately the longer this went on the more likely this was to happen. I will give Courtois credit though, while we have been wasteful he has also been very good.

Indeed. He's having the game of his life.

These commentators really have Madrid blinders on, jeez. 

They've beat a lot of great teams to get here through the knockout phases, don't get me wrong, but saying it's almost inarguably the greatest run when they've clearly completely forgot about Barça's 14/15 UCL where they beat City, PSG, Bayern and Juve (in that order), all the reigning champions of their respective leagues at the time? 

Edited by Julius

Trent has been a bit ropey in the second half, delivery has been pretty poor

I wouldn't put it past Liverpool to get an equaliser given their recent form but Real getting another on the counter seems more likely

Have we even scored a single goal in any of the cup finals we've been in this year? It's always been 0-0 and went to pens, hasn't it?

• Like 1