NEurope
Julius

Football Season 2021/22

Congrats to Sunderland. It's about time they clawed their way back up a division. Thoughly deserved though as they were by far the better team and could have easily had a few more goals.

4 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Looks like the Mbappster's turned down Real Madrid. Slap it up them. :laughing: 

And it's official:

Yikes. If FFP wasn't in tatters and PSG weren't humiliating themselves before...what are they doing now? Absolutely disgraceful. The rich, crazy and obsessed partner who just can't let go. 

Reportedly:

• €300m signing-on bonus

• €100m/year salary (AFTER tax, which is especially insane in France)

• gets a say on the coach (Poch is reportedly getting the sack)

• gets a big say on the team and signings (Leonardo also reportedly getting the sack)

Kind of hilariously: La Liga have filed a complaint now that Mbappé isn't moving to their league. 

Anyways, back to the move: it's disgusting. Casual reminder that some European royalty has been kept out of Europe over the last decade due to FFP and yet PSG - and I single them out as the worst example of this, but by no means the only example of this - get to make a loss and then flip it with investments from shell companies. 

Yeah Mbappé will make a load of money, maybe he gets that move to Real one day (I can see Flo holding a grudge, though), but personally at least, as someone a few days younger than he is and who unfairly thinks about how he's already a whole lot (yeah I know it's not healthy, and yeah I know footballing careers are heavily concentrated experiences) -- it makes me a little less jealous that I don't pull the run-around on my employer in the way he has over the last year or two...and then end up staying. There's been a lot of talk about his lack of maturity with how he reacts to losing, and I don't see how this helps his situation at all. 

Seems like he needs to do some growing up, at least from the outside looking in...and so do PSG ::shrug:

Edited by Julius

It's a classic case of a player having far too much pull and power in a club. More fool them for putting up with his demands, which are absolutely crazy.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's a classic case of a player having far too much pull and power in a club. More fool them for putting up with his demands, which are absolutely crazy.

It's genuinely insane, and honestly just hurts a bit to see. I think Mbappé has huge potential as a footballer, sure - don't think anyone doubts that - but Ronaldo and Messi didn't need these things at his age, and both have put up with their fair share of unequivocally woeful managers, despite inarguably being the two best players in the world for a bit over a decade (Ronaldo had Juve lose their midfield and then add him as the winning piece to get the UCL with Sarri and Pirlo, then moved to the mess that is modern day United? Messi had to put up with Valverde and Setien?). That's called being a professional. I don't understand what this is, but it just doesn't sit right. At all. 

I genuinely don't understand how and why a CL-worthy manager would take the job there when your head is on the chopping block at the whim of one of your players. I honestly don't even know who they get in as manager now: twist the knife further and flip the bird to Madrid fans by bringing in Zidane? It always seemed like he was waiting for Mbappé to be signed in his second stint at Madrid, and to be fair, last I checked, he was on Qatar's payroll for the World Cup, so could be a nice station for him to have to keep him sharp for when the day finally does come that he gets to take the reins of the national team. 

I guess this is how the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles rise to power, huh? :p

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Congrats to Sunderland. It's about time they clawed their way back up a division. Thoughly deserved though as they were by far the better team and could have easily had a few more goals.

Macked and tacked.

That was big Akinfenwas last game. :weep: Always seemed good banter. Maybe see him as a pundit some day.

22 minutes ago, Julius said:

And it's official:

Absolutely hilarious. 

Heinous amounts of money being thrown around by PSG. It's a waste of his career being there and he hardly needs the cash, but don't you love to see clubs like Real Madrid not getting it their own way. :laughing: Maybe they should do some scouting instead of trying to revive the galactico era.

Does Mbappé getting a say on Poch's replacement mean Zidane is incoming I wonder.

Tonight, Mbappé became the first active Sporting Director to score a hat trick :p

Well on his way to proving himself to be worth checks notes 600 million euros 

La Liga missed out on Haaland and Mbappe? Maybe Real Madrid and Barcelona really are losing their appeal.

Well, today's the big day! As I did at the end of the 18/19 season when it last went down to the final matchday, I'll be watching the City game, as that's the one where the title will be decided -- think it's either going to be a comfortable win or a shock loss, but I'd bet on the former if I were a betting man. Pep and City have been unhinged since crashing out to Madrid in the UCL. 

Good luck to you Liverpool fans, though -- hopefully things go your way today :peace:

And then, once the match ends, there should still be time to check out the second half of Serie A's final matches, with Milan at the moment in position to win their first league title in a decade, but Inter are hot on their heels and only 2 points behind. Really hope to see Milan win it, it's so great to see the Milan clubs at the summit of Italian football again :D

home-alone-this-is-it.gif

Still not sure which game to watch. Everything hangs on how City get on but I kinda want to watch our last premier league game of the season.

Sky Germany has a channel that only shows Pool - Wolverhampton and City - Villa.
Good entertainment :D 

WHAT IS HAPPENING

2-0 to Villa...this is way too tense for a neutral :p

Edited by Julius

City have scored, it's 2-1...

Worth noting Pep long ago used all three subs, so no Grealish or other changes to be made

Pep's game plan was legitimately "okay guys, anyone know he we can even attempt to upstage Aguerooooooooo?"

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

Pep's game plan was legitimately "okay guys, anyone know he we can even attempt to upstage Aguerooooooooo?"

Maybe we will still see that moment but for Villa.....

Liverpool going to the last too, man this is a lot of fun to see play out :D

Anyways, glancing over at Milan's score, it's 3-0 before half-time. That'll be a fun one to switch over to once all is said and done in the PL

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Maybe we will still see that moment but for Villa.....

Steven Gerrarrrrrrrrrd

He's come in, two-footed Pep, and lashed one in the top corner

Back to you Jeff

:laughing:

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

They blew early considering Ederson was down with cramp for 2 minutes in stoppage time, but oh well ::shrug:

Fair play to City, unlucky for Liverpool. Think this is the first time Pep's had a team that has been pushed this far on the final day. 

Fair play to Leeds too for staying up, that last minute Harrison goal was great 

Edited by Julius

Obviously gutted it didn't go our way but it was a exciting end to the season. We done everything we could and I think our performance across the season has to be praised given just how many games we've had to play across all competitions.