NEurope
Julius

Football Season 2021/22

20 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Despite your teams recent form, I still think you guys will do us over today.

Ah, I see you're also going the tempting of faith route, because I think that you're going to do us over today :laughing:

But either way, hopefully we're in store for a good game, good luck to you guys too :peace:

1 minute ago, Julius said:

Ah, I see you're also going the tempting of faith route, because I think that you're going to do us over today :laughing:

But either way, hopefully we're in store for a good game, good luck to you guys too :peace:

Not at all. Our games this season have been very tight, with either team able to win. I think you'll have the edge as there's less pressure on you guys.

Fine first half, very back and forth but no-one taking their chances, weirdly lacking composure in front of goal. We definitely took a bit of time to settle but after a few chains of passes we got our heads in the game. 

Lukaku, dude, I get you've had a rough first season - didn't exactly cover yourself in glory so you haven't helped yourself - but you need to at least hit the target with that chance you had late in the half. 

• Haha 1

Normally I have nothing against Guy Mowbray as a commentator, but you really can't say something like "Alonso has never really convinced Chelsea fans" and try to back it up by saying "that's what it says right here" (what, on your facts sheet?), especially in what is all but guaranteed to be his last final appearance for us. 

He's never convinced me completely defensively, but that's not really been his role since he came to us, he's very attacking focused until we're completely under fire. Under Conte, he and Moses basically defined being a modern wingback in the Prem in a system we didn't really see up until that point with five at the back. 

I'm glad Jenas said he disagreed and pointed out it was a bit of a weird statement, and then explained why, because he's been very successful with and a big player for us ::shrug:

Oh gee, I wonder where this is going? :p

To be honest, I'd rather watch the stress of penalties, even if it means losing. The game has been neck-a-neck and I think it being decided in the second half of ET would be fairly cruel. Best FA Cup final in a while I think, even with the lack of goals! 

Edited by Julius

Knew as soon as Mason stepped up it was going to get saved, he's just one of those players who you'll see included in that initial five penalty takers or he shouldn't be taking one at all. Fair play to Mendy for saving that 5th though, what a lad, gave me some hope there! 

Great FA Cup final, man, what a great season -- and it's not over yet. Congrats to Liverpool, just wasn't meant to be for us today! :peace:

Edited by Julius

Just now, Julius said:

Knew as soon as Mason stepped up it was going to get saved, he's just one of those players who you'll see included in that initial five penalty takers or he shouldn't be taking one at all. Fair play to Mendy for saving that 5th though, what a lad, have me some hope there! 

Great FA Cup final, man, what a great season -- and it's not over yet. Congrats to Liverpool, just wasn't meant to be for us today! :peace:

Mane was another one I knew would miss, you could see it on his face.

Fantastic game for all football fans. The game could have went either way at any point. 

Agreed, @Happenstance, especially with him being his international team mate.

I think the quad dream is over now but the treble is still on the cards.

2 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Mane was another one I knew would miss, you could see it on his face.

Yeah, the psychology of going up against international teammates I guess! 

Mendy looked absolutely shellshocked following the first three, he went the right way for all of them, touched two and the other from Thiago needed the post. Glad he stepped up for that 5th, but yeah, not meant to be. 

Mount's Wembley curse continues. Six finals lost there on the bounce is rough for anyone, let alone someone my age. 

1 minute ago, Julius said:

Mount's Wembley curse continues. Six finals lost there on the bounce is rough for anyone.

I never knew that. That's crazy!

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I never knew that. That's crazy!

Yeah, they mentioned it in the commentary, I don't know who rubbed Guy Mowbray the wrong way today but he chose violence against us :laughing:

Championship playoff final with Derby, FA Cup final in 2020, FA Cup final last year, Euro's final last summer, League Cup final this year, and today's FA Cup final. 

Third loss for us in the FA Cup final on the bounce too :(

• Thanks 1

The Prem title race just gets crazier and crazier. Be hilarious if Stevie G beats City and essentially wins us the league, just like I predicted weeks ago, @darksnowman. Saying that, we still need to beat Southampton mid week.

Gotta say, the title race, top 4 and relegation battles have been great this season. It's always more fun when everything comes down to the final weeks.

Would have been a lot better if bloody West Ham hadn't given up a 2 goal lead 😭

6 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Would have been a lot better if bloody West Ham hadn't given up a 2 goal lead 😭

Could have been worse, City could have scored their pen.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Will be so good if Stevie G PRODUCES a slip up on the final day.

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Could have been worse, City if scored their pen.

Okay, Yoda.

• Haha 2

As a Villa fan I can say with confidence that there is no change of us taking points off Man City next Sunday. We have been appalling against teams in the top 8 all season, only picking up points off a woeful Man Utd side, I hope I'm wrong but I would be very surprised if we can get anything at the Etihad.

Blackpool's Jake Daniels today has become the first professional footballer to come out as openly gay in England since 1990:

Fair freaking play. Oh, and he's only 17 too. 

I imagine he knows the heat and attention this might bring his way, but if courage is doing great things in the face of adversity, then this is the epitome of what it means to be courageous, and so I hope more people rise to support him than there inevitably will be trying to attack him. 

For that, he immediately has my respect :peace:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

While he certainly warrants a massive amount of respect, it says an awful lot that it has been the entirety of my lifetime since this last happened.

I can only hope that this opens up the gates for more players, but given the sheer toxicity of the football culture, I'm not gonna get my hopes up.

Anyway, those are my thoughts.

Nine changes for the Pool for the match at The Dell tonight. Man City will be licking their lips. This could be it.

2 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Nine changes for the Pool for the match at The Dell tonight. Man City will be licking their lips. This could be it.

Yeah, it was squeaky bum time through most the match but we managed to get the 3 points.

Stevie G...it's over to you. I bet he was secretly hoping Liverpool would lose so they'd be no pressure on him. :D