NEurope
Julius

Football Season 2021/22

Villareal just looked exhausted in the second half and once that first Liverpool goal went in, their heads went down and there was no coming back. I don't think they had anything left in the tank.

I'm hoping Madrid win tonight as I really don't want to play City in the final.

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm hoping Madrid win tonight as I really don't want to play City in the final.

I want Madrid to win because I want to see Benzema in one more Champions League game. That man is a beast this season :o 

Holy crap, Madrid and Rodrygo with the plot armour! :D

40353c9c8a7dca56dff73c8c8157dbb6.gif

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

I honestly can't believe it. Absolutely crazy that they scored 2 within a couple of mins. 

Well, here we go. Extra time. 

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I honestly can't believe it. Absolutely crazy that they scored 2 within a couple of mins. 

Definitely crazy. I actually said to my friend that once they started subbing their core off (Kroos, Modric, Casemiro) that something nuts would probably happen to balance it out, because then they'd be without their veteran trio in extra time; equivalent exchange and all that :laughing: I'm very curious to see how their midfield manages the game, but it just makes them very unpredictable. Camavinga coming on is what injected life into them against us. Shades of Ferguson's better United sides with this team where they don't play a certain system, they just play the occasion and get the result. 

If I were a Liverpool fan right now I think I'd much, much rather take City than Madrid in the final, the competition just seems to be going their way like it did when we won it for the first time and overcame stupid odds. 

EDIT: I can't believe Benzema is about to score this penalty 

Edited by Julius

Champions League nights were always the special ones for me to watch growing up, and when I couldn't watch them, I used to follow the BBC scroll. This is making me feel like a high school kid again. Love it. 

Absolutely loved the knockout rounds this season, away goals going away has been everything :D

Also can we talk about the irony that Ronaldo and Zidane leaving was supposed to be the end of Madrid...for a while? And now here many of those same players are potentially going to presented with a chance to potentially draw level with Ronaldo on number of CL wins. I'm sure he'll be fuming :p

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

Subs are everything. Ancelotti took the bigger risk and Pep is definitely regretting taking off De Bruyne. Nuts. 

Scary part of all of this is that this is a Madrid who haven't spent a penny in years and could go nuts in the summer. 

Edited by Julius

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

Subs are everything. Ancelotti took the bigger risk and Pep is definitely regretting taking off De Bruyne. Nuts. 

Scary part of all of this is that this is a Madrid who haven't spent a penny in years and could go nuts in the summer. 

I can see why he done it. He thought the game was over and wanted to rest his players for the weekend match. It clearly bit him in the backside, at least so far.

Absolutely hilarious. The Bald Fraud has done it again. Lets hope The Toon take points away from them at the weekend as well. :D 

Madrid have their own Remontada. The beautiful game.

Hilariously all have 14 on their shirts, as if they've already won it -- the absolute disrespect :laughing:

I'd be worried if I were a Liverpool fan. On paper really you should wipe the floor with them, but the momentum is with them and the luck of the competition is clearly on their side, and Madrid is basically the underdog here (weirdly). They won't have the Bernabeu like they've had in all of these second legs, but having seen this side score so late on in the knockouts three second legs in a row this season, that's going to have a potentially huge psychological impact on Liverpool players once the game reaches the 80th, 85th, 90th minute. 

24 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I can see why he done it. He thought the game was over and wanted to rest his players for the weekend match. It clearly bit him in the backside, at least so far.

While I can see the logic, I think it applies to any team but Madrid in the CL knockouts this season, especially in the Bernabeu where their fans are *loud* and they've luckily managed to have all of their second legs in the knockout stage in the UCL at home. They scored after the 70th minute at home in the second leg to PSG and us to turn the tie on its head - the writing was on the wall that something could be coming, and if it came that City would end up overwhelmed, as other teams were before them. Impossible to predict it being as late as it was, mind you! 

Think it was also really clear a few times tonight that City need a top class striker, there were just too many times where there was no-one in the box when crosses were made, and Grealish had several chances to kill off the tie that a more potent goalscorer should be putting away. 

Roll on the final :D this has been my favourite CL in years

Edited by Julius

Just seen a line floating around that I just had to share...

Man City is like a fine sangría. Bottled in Madrid.

:laughing:

9 hours ago, Julius said:

Hilariously all have 14 on their shirts, as if they've already won it -- the absolute disrespect :laughing:

"A por la 14" roughly translates to "Let's fight for number 14". They wore similar shirts that said "A por la 13" in 2018.

1 hour ago, Eddage said:

"A por la 14" roughly translates to "Let's fight for number 14". They wore similar shirts that said "A por la 13" in 2018.

Cool, thanks. I probably should've figured as much. 

Edited by Julius

Apparently "Real Madrid doesn't play finals, they win them" so it's a foregone conclusion. ::shrug: 

Well last nights Liverpool match didn't exactly go how I would have wanted. Unfortunately I'd say that's it for us now ☹️

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Happenstance said:

Well last nights Liverpool match didn't exactly go how I would have wanted. Unfortunately I'd say that's it for us now ☹️

Given City's dominance over Newcastle, yeah it's pretty much done now. :( 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, Happenstance said:

As it happened on Thursday: Trump claims without evidence that he's being  cheated out of election victory as key counts continue

11 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Given City's dominance over Newcastle, yeah it's pretty much done now. :( 

Rocky Sylvester Stallone GIF - Rocky Sylvester Stallone No Bell - Discover  & Share GIFs

• Haha 1

In the early hours a few days ago there was the news about the deal being wrapped up for us to be sold to Boehly:

Chelsea Football Club can confirm that terms have been agreed for a new ownership group, led by Todd Boehly, Clearlake Capital, Mark Walter and Hansjoerg Wyss, to acquire the Club.
Of the total investment being made, £2.5bn will be applied to purchase the shares in the Club and such proceeds will be deposited into a frozen UK bank account with the intention to donate 100% to charitable causes as confirmed by Roman Abramovich. UK Government approval will be required for the proceeds to be transferred from the frozen UK bank account.

In addition, the proposed new owners will commit £1.75bn in further investment for the benefit of the Club. This includes investments in Stamford Bridge, the Academy, the Women’s Team and Kingsmeadow and continued funding for the Chelsea Foundation.

The sale is expected to complete in late May subject to all necessary regulatory approvals. More details will be provided at that time.

One of those where once you get into billionaires it feels like pretty much everyone has a seedy past, but hey, at least it's not that racist American or someone from a country where executions are going down, and it's someone who has a track record of backing and maintaining a team at a top level. 

Some of the rumours going around at the moment are that Boehly and co. are ready to hit the ground hard on transfers as soon as the deal is through, which is definitely needed as we've been doing no work on this while all of this background noise around the sale has been going on, and also seeing as half of our defence is likely leaving us this summer (Azpi, Rudi, Christensen and Alonso) as well as potentially a few others (Lukaku, Jorginho). Going to be an interesting few weeks while we wait for the deal to go through, and then hopefully it's on to a busy summer! 

1 hour ago, Kav said:

Scary…

Scenes when they get knocked out at the semis of the CL next season :p

Kidding aside, intrigued to see how this goes. Pep has only really worked with one other out-and-out world class no. 9 that he's let stay as a no. 9 - Lewa at Bayern - and while he was still a huge threat during Pep's stint there, I always felt like some of his stronger aspects at the time were dulled by not necessarily being part of a system which best suited his playing style (fast-paced and very direct play under Klopp at Dortmund, and Heynckes and Flick at Bayern). If Grealish really hits the ground running and Foden continues as he has been, I'm nervous for everyone when Haaland comes over with the quality of the service he'll be getting; a lot of times during the Madrid tie where it was clear that they were missing a presence in the box. 

Also! Fair play to him for coming to the Prem first. La Liga and potentially Madrid are always going to be there if and when he's ready (rumours that he wouldn't get paid as much seeing as Mbappé is their main target, and that he doesn't want to be playing third fiddle to Benzema and Mbappé) but it's great to see a world class player (when he's fit) coming to the Prem ahead of his potential prime rather than coming here after a stint in Spain, as I think his size, strength and explosiveness make sure that he'll be a threat wherever he goes. 

• Like 1

Good luck for the cup final, @Kav and @Julius. Despite your teams recent form, I still think you guys will do us over today. May the best team win. :peace:

• Like 1

What an incredible final day for the Bundesliga. The fight against relegation was insane :o 

And now I want to see a great FA Cup Final :D