NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
RedShell

Bluetooth headphones... good for gaming now?

So I had to get a new TV recently and while I'm pretty happy with the picture on it, the sound (as is often the case with TVs/monitors these days) is rather unimpressive. To make matters worse, it seems there's no headphone connection on it (seriously, what is it with tech companies and that? ::shrug:) so I'm now looking at the possibility of getting some wireless speakers or headphones. Preferably headphones.

At the moment, my only experience of Bluetooth headphones is with some pretty old and very budget ones that I used on my mobile phone. They're fine for listening to music, but watching a vid or playing a game reveals a shocking amount of audio delay! Yep, they're absolutely unusable for those purposes. :shakehead I paired them with my TV yesterday to test and sure enough, it was awful.

I'm assuming, however, that the technology has moved on a bit since then. And also that Bluetooth 5.0 significantly improves, or perhaps even eradicates any noticeable delay? :blank:

Can N-E one confirm/offer some recommendations? :hehe:

Cheers. :)

Hey there.  I have a set of Bluetooth Headphones and I’d say that you can get a good experience from them… IF you get Low Latency APTX going from both your headphones and transceiver (BOTH elements must support the Low Latency APTX codec for it to work).

Without that? Yeah, you’re going to notice some pretty obvious audio delay issues.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Ah, so just connecting directly to a TV is never going to be good, a transceiver with this low latency malarkey is required. Hmm, that makes me somewhat more likely to just put up with tinny sound. :heh: At least for now.

Thanks for the info though, appreciate it. :)

I really don't get why wired headphone connections keep getting the chop though, if wireless audio isn't up to the job yet. Unbelievably stupid. :hmm:

Edited by RedShell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this