NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) - 8th October 2021

A couple of Dutch outlets had a hands-on session and they put some previews up online. They all kind of noted the same things:

• The colours of the OLED are a lot more vibrant than those of the original Switch. Higher contrast and colourful games like Mario Kart really pop.
  • The screen can go a bit darker than the OG Switch, but also a bit brighter. If this is enough to make it playable outside can't be said.
  • Viewing angles from the side are also a lot better, so if you look at it from an angle visibility is better. Useful in tabletop mode.
  • The device looks a lot more modern thanks to the bezel-less design. The extra 0,7 inch is very noticeable. And although pixels are a bit more visible, it isn't disturbing.
  • Speaker upgrade was not very noticeable during the hands-on for some, others thought it was a decent improvement.
  • Kickstand is a big improvement. Much more stable, and the Switch can be set in any position from almost flat to almost upright.
  • Buttons are different, the cartridge slot is a bit more difficult to open.
  • Thanks 2

I never realised how big the bezel was on the Switch (then again, I've never used the screen).

I wish I hadn't seen that.... 

But it's still not enough of an upgrade for me to buy the OLED version.

I suddenly want one of these. 

I don't think there's even preorder stock anywhere now. Cry. 

22 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I suddenly want one of these. 

I don't think there's even preorder stock anywhere now. Cry. 

My friend actually managed to nab one on Amazon yesterday, and I just checked, and it looks like it's still up for pre-order on there right now? Think he mentioned he wasn't able to check out with just the Switch OLED so had to get the bundle with the case.

I've got to be honest, I do think it looks great. Especially in white! 

But I don't use my Switch enough as it is, and when I do it's typically docked, so unfortunately there's not much for me to gain from getting one. Or at least, that's what I need to keep reminding myself of before I do something silly. The Diamond & Pearl Switch Lite also looks great, but practically I can't find a use for it. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

Anyone ordered from the My Nintendo store? They took payment for Metroid today, but not heard about the Switch. Would have thought they would do both early.

The white variety looks awesome but like has been mentioned, I just don’t play in handheld enough to warrant buying it. If there was more addition than just the better screen maybe I would 

• Like 1

Jeez. This video definitely shows how much better that OLED screen is. 
Seems a lot of YouTubers with gaming content got their OLEDS early. Nice to see some proper hands on and comparisons! 

• Like 1

Question. If I sold my current Switch BEFORE I got an oled switch on Friday, am I missing out on anything by not doing a system transfer?! 
I thought I’d need to have both systems to do the transfer before I sold my current Switch? 

But thinking on it, would I not just need to redownload any eShop games and game saves? I’m a Switch Online member so don’t think I’m missing anything am I? 
nintendo consoles just give me anxiety as I never know what I’m gonna lose by swapping a console over. :D

I know there are at least some games that don't use cloud saves, such as Animal Crossing and Splatoon 2. I'm also not sure what is transferred in regards to play times, different profiles et cetera.

• Thanks 1

Seems a lot of YouTubers with gaming content got their OLEDS early. Nice to see some proper hands on and comparisons! 

For this OLED model, does this have the improved battery that the later Switch models have? Or the same bad battery as the launch Switch models?

6 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

I know there are at least some games that don't use cloud saves, such as Animal Crossing and Splatoon 2. I'm also not sure what is transferred in regards to play times, different profiles et cetera.

Interesting, thanks. 

Just now, Sheikah said:
On 02/10/2021 at 11:08 AM, Aneres11 said:

For this OLED model, does this have the improved battery that the later Switch models have? Or the same bad battery as the launch Switch models?

Not sure for certain. One video I did watch with someone who has the OLED model early, is that it lasted a fraction longer than their ‘better battery’ Switch model. So seems like it must have been improved? 

3-4 hours is good enough for me, as I rarely even game that long in one go tbh. But for others who do I can see why it can be shoddy. 

26 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

As far as we know, it uses the same "Mariko" Tegra X1 chip as currently inside the V2 Switch and Switch Lite.  So the battery life should be more or less the same as the current V2 model Switch.

If you're still rocking the original V1 model Switch, it might actually be worth you upgrading; the extra battery life is a nice improvement over the original model.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aneres11 said:

Dispatch notification GET. 

:bouncy:

Where did you order from?

2 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

SimplyGames. :hehe:

Cheers. Still waiting for an email from the official store.

• Angry 1

2 hours ago, Ike said:

Cheers. Still waiting for an email from the official store.

I don't think I've ever ordered from the store. So not sure what their standard is. 

Mine is coming via DPD, so at least I'm not in the Yodel / UK Mail camp. :D