NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) - 8th October 2021

12 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

On Twitter, nobody wins and society loses. 

Case in point: #CovidIsOver is trending right now. 

E5rOwIkWYAMkRhX?format=png&name=240x240

:nono:

My issue with leakers in gaming will always be that for software, they're robbing the development team of what should be their moment in the spotlight, and for hardware...well it never really pans out the way they say, does it? And then you end up with people angry or upset because of how they've managed to psych themselves up for something not really promised. 

I err on the side of optimism when it comes to leaks like a Switch Pro, because it'd be great for us consumers, it'd do good business for Nintendo, and it would have helped - from a technological perspective at least - to raise the bar on what they're capable of developing. It's disappointing that it's not real, and I totally think it's fair to be disappointed, but I just don't understand when you get rampant fanboyism on any side acting like something like this is a feather in another side's cap (whether that be journalists flexing a superiority complex or the CoNsOlE wArS) -- I understand why it exists, all of human history is a testament to us putting up walls and escalating things over our differences (in opinions, skin colour, gender, what have you), I just think it's taken too far and too seriously a lot of the time (like with pretty much everything else these days, unfortunately). 

For gaming - something that I think is either to pass the time, have fun, or challenge yourself - the immaturity of some corners of gaming really is something else. I don't think there are many, if any, other industries which have as many people willing to fall on a sword in their declaration of loyalty for a company that couldn't care less about them. 

People are weird. 

Edited by Julius
  • Angry 1

Think i'll treat this Switch revision the same as i did when they announced the 3DSXL/New 3DS.  Probably will pick it up, but only if my current model decides to break.  I don't see enough of an upgrade to this revision to rush out and get it when it comes out.

I also won't be in any hurry to get an OLED Switch, unless my current Switch fails. And even in that situation I'm far more likely to get another original Switch as a replacement, as I just don't use portable mode enough to justify the screen upgrade, and I already have a LAN adapter so don't need the new dock either.

This is a pretty nice upgrade for those that use Switch primarily as a handheld system though.

• Like 2

Also worth keeping in mind that Switch 2 is probably coming out in 2023... Which will also almost certainly be backwards compatible; so why should I buy this £310 model when it's due to be made obsolete for my existing games in less than 2 years?

• Like 3

I wonder what's going to happen to the normal Switch in terms of selling/making them?

If you're buying your first Switch now, and you want to play on your TV it kinda seems daft when you're already spending £280 to not just pay the extra £30 and get the nicer/newer model. 

So I'm thinking there might be a price drop on the normal Switch, or maybe they'll stop making them and sell the ones that are left?

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Also worth keeping in mind that Switch 2 is probably coming out in 2023... Which will also almost certainly be backwards compatible; so why should I buy this £310 model when it's due to be made obsolete for my existing games in less than 2 years?

At the very least you could have "less than 2 years" of 7-inch OLED Mushihimesama. ::shrug: 

25 minutes ago, Sckewi said:

I wonder what's going to happen to the normal Switch in terms of selling/making them?

If you're buying your first Switch now, and you want to play on your TV it kinda seems daft when you're already spending £280 to not just pay the extra £30 and get the nicer/newer model. 

So I'm thinking there might be a price drop on the normal Switch, or maybe they'll stop making them and sell the ones that are left?

Yeah, I guess you'd think they'd drop the price and phase them out but if Nintendo can manage to flog three full-price models at the same time then I'm sure they will.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Everyone expects Nintendo to follow the Switch up with a 'Switch 2' considering how successful the current model is.. and that's probably exactly why Nintendo will give us something completely different 😅

They'll reveal something completely off the wall, we'll all look at it in horror and wonder what the hell Nintendo are doing. They've completely lost the plot.. what were they thinking..?

And it'll be absolutely amazing :grin:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nekunando said:

Everyone expects Nintendo to follow the Switch up with a 'Switch 2' considering how successful the current model is.. and that's probably exactly why Nintendo will give us something completely different 😅

They'll reveal something completely off the wall, we'll all look at it in horror and wonder what the hell Nintendo are doing. They've completely lost the plot.. what were they thinking..?

It'll tank and then they'll change the world again in 2029

17 minutes ago, nekunando said:

• Haha 5

On 06/07/2021 at 4:05 PM, Glen-i said:

Being right twice a day is a pretty sweet batting average!

Do you want to revise that thought? :p

On 16/02/2021 at 2:34 PM, Dcubed said:

50 minutes!?!? That’s basically E3 length!!!

BN9FQk.gif

Switch Pro time!

CHOO CHOO MOTHER FUCKERS LET’S GO!!! :bouncy:

On 25/03/2021 at 7:18 PM, Dcubed said:

DLSS is very big advantage in Nintendo’s favour here; and it’s very possible for Nintendo to release a hybrid console/handheld version of Switch this year that can outperform PS4 Pro & XboneX...

... but of course, Nintendo have to want that... which is ultimately the biggest factor in play here.  The tech is there, but Nintendo need to want it and be willing to pay for it.  And that’s definitely not something I’d be so gung-ho about betting money on...

On 23/03/2021 at 12:38 PM, Dcubed said:

Oh?

https://uspto.report/patent/grant/D912,153

USD0912153-20210302-D00000.png

Is this the new Joycon for the Switch 2/Pro? Circle Pads & D-pads making a comeback!?

Is this the end of Joycon Drift at long last!?!?

On 17/02/2021 at 8:39 PM, Dcubed said:

Some interesting comments from Furakawa in a new Nikkei interview; regarding Switch’s successor and where the current Switch stands in its lifecycle (potentially hinting at a Switch Pro for the current model?)

In fairness Dcubed also said he wasn't confident enough to bet money on there being Switch Pro, but I'd certainly say this was sitting on the fence at best!

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

The PS5 "probably being released" at £600-700, and if you disagreed you were detached from reality, was my favourite.

That or Nintendo have put all their software focus into mobile gaming a couple of years ago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Ashley said:

I had no problem with Nintendo selling me a box of cardboard to be folded up and played with. The OLED Switch is another kettle of fish entirely. :p No ta.

49 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

In fairness Dcubed also said he wasn't confident enough to bet money on there being Switch Pro, but I'd certainly say this was sitting on the fence at best!

@Dcubed is less a stopped clock and more a weathervane that changes with the wind. :bowdown: 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

I mean, I was only pointing out that being right twice a day would be pretty sweet.

Any info on pricing? I feel like this should be the same price as the OG model and perhaps slap a price cut on the OG but this is money-bags Nintendo so I'm not sure what to expect :laughing:

Given that this isn't a massive upgrade in any way other than the screen I feel like this is the modern day DS Lite and in a year they'll phase out the original model and just sell this as the standard like what happened to my lovely silver Phat boy. 

nintendo-ds-original-(600x315-ffffff).jp

• Like 1

Real talk, anyone who actually prefers the original DS over any of the other models is wrong and bad and wrong.

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Real talk, anyone who actually prefers the original DS over any of the other models is wrong and bad and wrong.

The D-Pad on the lite was terrible in comparison to the original model, I could be never get to grips with snaking

@Josh64 Official UK site said it would be £310

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, killthenet said:

The D-Pad on the lite was terrible in comparison to the original model, I could be never get to grips with snaking

Counterpoint; people who snake in Mario Kart DS are wrong and bad and wrong.

That little exploit not only destroyed the fun in online races, but it also destroyed your thumbs!

12 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It was all about the DS Lite. Still had the GBA slot but a better backlit screen and size/weight.

4 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

It was all about the DS Lite. Still had the GBA slot but a better backlit screen and size/weight.

And didn't look so 2003

I enjoyed Mario 64 DS with the thumbstrap as well as the Metroid Prime: Hunters demo. I also liked that GBA carts fit perfectly with the shape of the machine compared to how they jutted out of the Lite.

Having said that, when I packed the DS away and moved onto a DSi I never looked back. :cool:

Guys, can we please keep the conversation on the Nintendo Switch (OLED model)?

• Thanks 1

Yes, there's so much to talk about the Nintendo Switch (Ethernet Model).

• Haha 1