NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) - 8th October 2021

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Like I’ve been saying all along, you’ll get your sweet 4K DLSS goodness with Switch 2.

I like your optimism. 

• Haha 2

Well that's disappointing. Was hoping for a Switch 2 announcement. I would have ordered a Switch 2 immediately.

This.. looks nice, but I'm already using a LAN cable and I rarely play handheld. I won't say I'll skip it, but I'm definitely not buying this in October.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Well that's disappointing. Was hoping for a Switch 2 announcement. I would have ordered a Switch 2 immediately.

This.. looks nice, but I'm already using a LAN cable and I rarely play handheld. I won't say I'll skip it, but I'm definitely not buying this in October.

This sums up exactly what I was going to say, except I rambled on for ages. So I'll just quote this instead. xD

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weird 1

Well it looks awesome and the screen update is cool but since I play mine 95% in docked mode I don’t think I’ll pick this up unless my Switch breaks. 

I'd love to know the exact ratio of handheld/home console the Switch has seen worldwide since launch. I remember Nintendo putting out the exact stat a couple of years ago and it was close to 50:50.

content-4-36525-nintendoswitcholedmodelbanner.jpg

Nintendo Switch OLED Model announced - Launches on 8th October 2021

Now up on the main page.

Press release, specifications, youtube link, and promotional images.

- - - - -

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sméagol said:

yeah exactly the same for me.

Edited by Helmsly
  • Thanks 1

Honestly? There’s nothing here to really justify an upgrade if you already have a Version 2 flagship Switch.  The screen size increase is really take it or leave it (I’ve never had any issues with the screen being too big!), OLED has its advantages & disadvantages, the storage upgrade is basically nothing, and the Ethernet port is a minor additional convenience really.

The only real noteworthy upgrade is the new kickstand… which is nice, but not £310 nice.

• Like 2

They could at least have added support for bluetooth headphones! Improving audio output is just stupid compared to enabling bluetooth headsets.

But yeah, if you only play it docked, this is nothing. I wonder why they didn't just upgrade the Lite to something like this and then calling it a day.

This is for the new Switch owners, nothing worth upgrading for.

• Like 3

There is so much room to remove the underclock on the current Tegra X1 revision, all they would have had to do is increase the battery a little to keep the battery life the same as the other models.  So while I wasn't expecting new silicon or a fancy dock, I was expecting something like that.

Here's a video from 2020 with DigitalFoundry using homebrew to remove the underclock on the existing model.

At least it puts the Switch Pro to bed for good now.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Kav said:

So this is how they choose to celebrate 35 years of Metroid. 

49 minutes ago, V. Amoleo said:

There is so much room to remove the underclock on the current Tegra X1 revision, all they would have had to do is increase the battery a little to keep the battery life the same as the other models.  So while I wasn't expecting new silicon or a fancy dock, I was expecting something like that.

Here's a video from 2020 with DigitalFoundry using homebrew to remove the underclock on the existing model.

Quite an interesting video. Like you say, they mention battery life as a limiting factor of the current Switch at around the 9 min mark.

But yeah I think the "Switch Pro" can be filed away with such other classic insider leaks as Starfox GP. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, V. Amoleo said:

Yeah, there's definitely still potential to remove the cap on the clock speed.  I never understood why Nintendo don't just do this in Docked mode at the very least; it's clearly safe, even on the original 2017 model.

They're still underutilising the hardware that's in this thing, especially with the dieshrunk "Mariko" version of the Tegra X1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, V. Amoleo said:

Unfortunately a lot of industry folk don't seem to want to let it die just yet, be it for clicks or what have you, a few of them saying that they'd always heard 2022:

59c912db216ac16ba61c31fb3bd95325.gif

To be fair he did say that at the start of June too, but it doesn't seem to be the end of the Pro talk...when I kind of wish it would be. I think it's a bit disappointing that this isn't a Pro model, but I still like the look of it. I'll never understand people getting up in arms about it (not here, but rather the echo chamber out there: social media), but I guess that's just par for the course with something like this. 

14 hours ago, Dcubed said:

There’s nothing here to really justify an upgrade if you already have a Version 2 flagship Switch.

Remind me again, this was the one that came out in the second half of 2019 with the red packaging, right? I got mine in April 2019...so...I guess that's one way I'll be attempting to justify picking this up leading up to and beyond its launch :p

18 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Do it!

Games such as Xenoblade X, Star Fox Zero/Guard and Nintendo Land are still exclusive to the system. You then have the GBA and N64 Virtual Console games to have a look at, with the GBA selection being really good. Finally, you’ll be on for years going through the Wii back catalogue of games that are worth playing. 

Think I'll ponder it a little longer, but the nice thing at the moment is that it doesn't look prohibitively expensive either, in terms of either the physical games I'd be interested in or the actual console and gamepad itself. It's refreshing when just about everything else has skyrocketed in the last 6-12 months, so I'll probably need to jump on it sooner or later. 

Between that, the Switch, and my New 3DS XL, think that gives me access to about as much of Nintendo's back catalogue as I could want, besides any super specific games still locked behind the GBA and GC. Definitely feel like I've been dragging my heels on digging into some franchises, such as waiting for Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and the Prime Trilogy to come over to the Switch, but that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon. Shame, really. 

Don't be surprised if I post in a thread soon asking for recommendations! :D

17 hours ago, Ronnie said:

As someone who knows nothing about the technical side of game development, take this with a grain of salt, but BOTW started life as a Wii U game, the sequel will be Switch-only and so hopefully that and some extra development time will help. 

Yeah, I think they'll have had more time to optimise it for sure, especially after 5+ years in development once it's out (probably more like 4/4.5 due to COVID), so I really do hope that they've managed to improve things this time around. I have other issues with Breath of the Wild, but the frame rate tanking to all hell in one of the key areas in the game is a pretty big one. 

I'm a bit nervous about when we see Legends: Arceus next, too. It looked rough when they showed it off, but they told us at the time that it was a version of the game that was a few months old, yet without some extra horsepower being made available, I'm struggling to see how Game Freak on their own could make an open world like that actually work well, from a technical perspective. Still holding onto the hope that Monolith Soft are supporting them to some extent. 

Edited by Julius

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

Think I'll ponder it a little longer, but the nice thing at the moment is that it doesn't look prohibitively expensive either, in terms of either the physical games I'd be interested in or the actual console and gamepad itself. It's refreshing when just about everything else has skyrocketed in the last 6-12 months, so I'll probably need to jump on it sooner or later. 

Between that, the Switch, and my New 3DS XL, think that gives me access to about as much of Nintendo's back catalogue as I could want, besides any super specific games still locked behind the GBA and GC.

Definitely well worth picking up a Wii U.  They're dirt cheap now, and the Virtual Console catelogue & Wii BC gives you access to a vast array of classics, including pretty much every single major 1st party GBA English release :peace: (N64 is almost there, but it's missing the original Smash Bros and Pilotwings 64).

Now is definitely the best time.  The console & games are cheap, the virtual console store is still available, and Wii games haven't rocketed up in price yet (outside of Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Metroid Prime Trilogy and Kirby's Return to Dreamland/Kirby's Adventure Wii; the latter two of which are actually available to download on Wii U!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Julius said:

I'll never understand people getting up in arms about it (not here, but rather the echo chamber out there: social media), but I guess that's just par for the course with something like this. 

Reading the replies to all the tweets Nintendo have put out since the reveal makes me sad. It's such embarrassing stuff, but then that goes for 90% of Twitter in general I suppose.

As for Pokemon Legends, I suggest you go in with extremely low expectations. Game Freak development ability + sprawling openworld + very quick release doesn't bode well.

18 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Oh great, our daily dose of "Trust the REAL games journalists!"

The lack of self-awareness is hilarious. Part of a mainstream industry that is hated by the large proportion of its consumers. Peddling their own lies and clickbait non-stop and he has the gall to attack independent people doing exactly the same thing. I hate leakers as much as the next guy, but Altano and his other "journalist" friends are cut from the same cloth. Gatekeepers and political warriors that couldn't actually give a damn about games or their audiences anymore, desperately trying to shine a light on anything and everyone that doesn't conform to their narrow world view.

This supposed "Nintendo expert" also conveniently forgot that the DS and the 3DS both received GPU clock-boosted models faster than the Switch received this OLED update. Pitiful attempt at sarcasm for someone who can't even get basic facts right. 

Gary Whitta - Another clown who loves the smell of his own farts and sense of superiority. 

"Get mad at the Internet bullshitters for feeding you a bunch of unfounded rumors and speculation"
Replace unfounded rumours and speculation with "faux outrage" and "imaginary problems" and you have Mainstream Media Games Journalist™ 2021. If people actually trusted and respected the games media, they wouldn't need or want to go to YouTube idiots. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Oh great, our daily dose of "Trust the REAL games journalists!"

The lack of self-awareness is hilarious. Part of a mainstream industry that is hated by the large proportion of its consumers. Peddling their own lies and clickbait non-stop and he has the gall to attack independent people doing exactly the same thing. I hate leakers as much as the next guy, but Altano and his other "journalist" friends are cut from the same cloth. Gatekeepers and political warriors that couldn't actually give a damn about games or their audiences anymore, desperately trying to shine a light on anything and everyone that doesn't conform to their narrow world view.

This supposed "Nintendo expert" also conveniently forgot that the DS and the 3DS both received GPU clock-boosted models faster than the Switch received this OLED update. Pitiful attempt at sarcasm for someone who can't even get basic facts right. 

Gary Whitta - Another clown who loves the smell of his own farts and sense of superiority. 

"Get mad at the Internet bullshitters for feeding you a bunch of unfounded rumors and speculation"
Replace unfounded rumours and speculation with "faux outrage" and "imaginary problems" and you have Mainstream Media Games Journalist™ 2021. If people actually trusted and respected the games media, they wouldn't need or want to go to YouTube idiots. 

Fair enough, though Altano never professes to be a Nintendo "expert", he just loves Nintendo, but I agree he can be a bit ignorant about the industry. And Whitta... yeah. It was more their words I felt like highlighting rather than the people saying them.

10 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Fair enough, though Altano never professes to be a Nintendo "expert", he just loves Nintendo, but I agree he can be a bit ignorant about the industry. And Whitta... yeah. It was more their words I felt like highlighting rather than the people saying them.

Altano has been one of IGN's main faces of Nintendo for almost 10 years, he should be better than this considering the amount he gets paid. It's also nice to know that Gary Whitta considers Bloomberg to be "internet bullshitters". He, of course, is not. So fresh, such superiority. Twitter was the biggest mistake humanity ever made. 

That doesn't make them wrong about leakers though. It's just a bit cringe seeing them trying to count this as win. On Twitter, nobody wins and society loses. 

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 1