NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) - 8th October 2021

7 minutes ago, Julius said:

We've heard for years now that the aim for the Switch is to have a longer life cycle than some other consoles in the past, but with this not being a mid-gen refresh like the PS4 Pro or One X...how is that being accomplished exactly? Because now I'm waiting for a Switch 2 between 2023 and 2025, which was almost the expectation anyways, even after the Pro rumours started turning up. I guess they might just be counting a potential true successor to the Switch as being a continuation of the Switch family, but it is odd. 

I'm still waiting for the Switch to get a decent library of its own games. It still feels like it's very early in the life cycle.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Switches are flying off the shelves, it's still selling like crazy even 4+ years later. If sales were trending downwards then a more must-buy upgrade would have made sense to jolt sales again, but it's just not necessary. The current model still has 3+ years left in it from a sales pov at least. They'll ride this wave for a few more years, and then make a big splash in 2024 or whatever with the Switch 2.

Personally I wasn't craving more power, so saving myself a few hundred quid is fine by me. Saved a lot of people feeling pressured to buy a new model rather than being left in the cold.

Yeah pretty much this. Nintendo have been resting on their laurels on the software side because sales don't need a jolt and they might as well ride the wave. Looks the same with hardware.

I'm cool with my Switch, don't get me wrong. I have no other consoles propping it up. But Nintendo have been coasting for ages. 

4 minutes ago, Cube said:

I'm still waiting for the Switch to get a decent library of its own games. It still feels like it's very early in the life cycle.

Like those people that didn't get a GBA because it was just a portable SNES. :laughing: 

You'll get a Sonic game sometime. There there. :hug:

Edited by darksnowman
because even a virtual hug is better than a sonic game
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Switches are flying off the shelves, it's still selling like crazy even 4+ years later. If sales were trending downwards then a more must-buy upgrade would have made sense to jolt sales again, but it's just not necessary. The current model still has 3+ years left in it from a sales pov at least. They'll ride this wave for a few more years, and then make a big splash in 2024 or whatever with the Switch 2.

Oh yeah, I think this release more than anything - with it not being a Pro - is them having anticipated a potential dip in sales this financial year and doing something to keep it going. It's releasing the week after the end of their Q2/H1, so you definitely get the feeling it's well-timed to stabilise any potential concerns over a dip. 

My biggest concern now that we aren't getting a Pro is a returning one over how the densely forested areas are going to run in the Breath of the Wild sequel. 

22 minutes ago, Cube said:

For me it's been nice as someone who grew up mainly on their handhelds to branch out and get to experience new entries in their franchises (as well as a good number of ports, remasters, and remakes), but for me personally, there haven't been as many games as I had expected going in and picking up a Switch that I've been interested in. There's been the odd few games being added to my shelf (which I don't mind doing because I guess their prices won't go down anyways), but I'm seriously missing the presence of Virtual Console (the NES and SNES apps aren't cutting it for me), and the eShop is a bit of a nightmare to explore, so I haven't been nosing around for weird games like I might normally be (not that virtual storefronts are much better elsewhere at the moment). I've genuinely been thinking of picking up a Wii U lately, as there are a load of Virtual Console and Wii games I'd want to play there, as well as a few games which don't seem to be getting ported anytime soon (Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for starters). 

Total aside, though: this thing has to have a different theme to the two we've had since launch on the regular Switch...right? Can we see some folders too please? 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

Can we see some folders too please? 

And themes, mate. THEMES!

• Haha 1

It looks really nice and I'm sure the better screen and higher quality speakers are a big step up but it isn't a must buy for me. I was hoping we'd get a performance boost so that was the only reason I would have picked up the new model, I am definitely tempted by the sleek new dock and the prospect of an OLED display (and better battery life than my launch model) but it's not enough for me to drop £300+ on when my current model still works fine

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

I've genuinely been thinking of picking up a Wii U lately, as there are a load of Virtual Console and Wii games I'd want to play there, as well as a few games which don't seem to be getting ported anytime soon (Wind Waker and Twilight Princess for starters). 

Do it!

Games such as Xenoblade X, Star Fox Zero/Guard and Nintendo Land are still exclusive to the system. You then have the GBA and N64 Virtual Console games to have a look at, with the GBA selection being really good. Finally, you’ll be on for years going through the Wii back catalogue of games that are worth playing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, killthenet said:

it's not enough for me to drop £300+ on when my current model still works fine

Cue planned obsolescence update...

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

You then have the GBA and N64 Virtual Console games to have a look at, with the GBA selection being really good. Finally, you’ll be on for years going through the Wii back catalogue of games that are worth playing. 

Don't listen to this. Wii U VC games are dark, have sound issues, and are all-around shoddily emulated. Just check out Fire Emblem on the Switch eShop... oh you can't because it was only up for a limited time. Don't try to justify buying a Wii U because of the VC. :shakehead Get a Gameboy Micro and you'll be grand!

Further proof the Vita walked so that the switch could run

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

*checks out graphics*

Oh wow. Super Nintendo level graphics. 

Just now, darksnowman said:

Cue planned obsolescence update...

Don't listen to this. Wii U VC games are dark, have sound issues, and are all-around shoddily emulated. Just check out Fire Emblem on the Switch eShop... oh you can't because it was only up for a limited time. Don't try to justify buying a Wii U because of the VC. :shakehead Get a Gameboy Micro and you'll be grand!

The N64 games are dark but the GBA games are fine. GBA Micros aren’t worth the price they go for, especially given the condition most of them are in these days. If wanting to only play GBA games then a modded original would be best or even pick up a DS Lite.

46 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I disagree. 

You disagree that Pro models generally don't leave people behind? There is not one PS4 Pro or Xbox One X exclusive game that the base models could not run.

Nintendo are the only recent example for leaving behind players, with a very small number of New 3DS exclusive games. But that is not typical, and they could easily decree that there won't be any exclusives just like the competition did...

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 1

Haven’t had a chance to watch the video yet, but no spec bump?

If so… I was right again!

41 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

If the Switch is still selling so well then why bother with an OLED Switch? Because options are good.

Makes no sense to me that they won't release a Pro version that plays all the same games, just like the competition. The only thing I can think is that they want the jump to be even more pronounced when Switch 2 finally happens. As it stands though the OLED model is disappointing and not at all a compelling upgrade for me.

Kind of crazy actually, we live in a world now where people are going out less and less and they make a model that mostly benefits handheld players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dcubed said:

Haven’t had a chance to watch the video yet, but no spec bump?

If so… I was right again!

You know what they say about a broken clock. :p

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

You know what they say about a broken clock. :p

It’s always right ;) 

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It’s always right ;) 

...twice a day. :p

31 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Nice. Though funnily enough the Vita was the opposite.

"Hey you know that one thing about the Vita that was actually pretty cool? Let's get rid of it in future hardware updates! Makes total sense."

44 minutes ago, Julius said:

My biggest concern now that we aren't getting a Pro is a returning one over how the densely forested areas are going to run in the Breath of the Wild sequel. 

As someone who knows nothing about the technical side of game development, take this with a grain of salt, but BOTW started life as a Wii U game, the sequel will be Switch-only and so hopefully that and some extra development time will help. 

Edited by Ronnie

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Nice. Though funnily enough the Vita was the opposite.

"Hey you know that one thing about the Vita that was actually pretty cool? Let's get rid of it in future hardware updates! Makes total sense."

What are you talking about? I mean that literally; can't figure out what you're referring to!

But I meant more it had cross-console play (which obviously the switch improved on by making it all in one), the design is similarish etc. Plus it was mostly a joke, just like the Vita's 1st party support.

Just now, Ashley said:

What are you talking about? I mean that literally; can't figure out what you're referring to!

But I meant more it had cross-console play (which obviously the switch improved on by making it all in one), the design is similarish etc. Plus it was mostly a joke, just like the Vita's 1st party support.

They stopped making the Vita with an OLED screen after a year or so, and replaced it with an inferior LCD version, because, ::shrug:

And I know it was a joke, it was funny. 

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

They stopped making the Vita with an OLED screen after a year or so, and replaced it with an inferior LCD version, because, ::shrug:

And I know it was a joke, it was funny. 

Ah yeah I forgot about that point! Cheers.

22 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

...twice a day. :p

Being right twice a day is a pretty sweet batting average!

Anyway, never expected a mid console revision to be 4K (You were only fooling yourself if you did). Nintendo just don't chase graphical prowess. So this is closer to how I imagined it.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mokong said:

Any prices announced?

$350. It’s expected to be around £320 in the UK.

• Like 1

Like I’ve been saying all along, you’ll get your sweet 4K DLSS goodness with Switch 2 and not before.

Switch 2: March 2023.  BOTW2, Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 will be launch window titles that year.  Book it.