NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) - 8th October 2021

Meet the newest entry to the Nintendo Switch family! Nintendo Switch (OLED model) brings the versatility of the Nintendo Switch experience with a vibrant 7-inch OLED screen, a wide adjustable stand, and more. Nintendo Switch (OLED model) releases on October 8.

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

That design is majestic. Absolutely love the new dock + kickstand + ethernet port. Good job, Nintendo.

Now about those internals...

What do we think? Just a new screen + dock or is it hiding something more?

Surprised at the 3 month lead time from reveal to release. Seems like a good way to kill the OG and Lite momentum. It'll be interesting to see how news trickles out for this before Oct 8th. Obviously I want a bit more power, but with my Switch being 4 and a half years old now and showing signs of wear, I'm glad I held off on the V2 revision. 

Oh they Surfaced the kickstand, nice.

I like the design of the new dock although I do worry about whether they've improved the actual docking 'feel'. Weirdly I like the white dock but not the white Joy-Cons.

Bigger internal storage too apparently

Wonder what the price will be.

The title of this thread is wrong. It's Nintendo Switch (OLED model), not Nintendo Switch OLED Model.

Marketing is important! Catchy name though...

• Haha 1

Internal stuff:

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console
Size 102mm x 242mm x 13.9mm (with Joy-Con controllers attached)
Please note: 28.4mm at the thickest, from the tips of the analogue sticks to the ZL/ZR Button protrusions.
Weight Approx. 320g
(With Joy-Con controllers attached: 420g)
Screen Capacitive touch screen / 7-inch OLED / 1280x720 resolution
CPU/GPU NVIDIA customised Tegra processor
System memory 64 GB

You can increase your console's storage with compatible microSD cards (sold separately). For more information on compatible microSD cards, please visit our support section.

Please note: a portion of the internal memory is reserved for use by the system.
Communication features Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant) / Bluetooth 4.1
In TV mode, it's also possible to use a wired LAN connection.
Video output Maximum resolution: 1920x1080, 60 fps
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode. In tabletop mode and handheld mode, the maximum resolution is 1280x720, which matches the screen resolution.
Audio output Supports linear PCM 5.1ch
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode.
Speakers Stereo
USB terminal USB Type-C terminal
Used for charging or for connecting to the Nintendo Switch dock.
Audio jack 4 pole stereo 3.5mm mini plug (CTIA standard)
Please note: Nintendo cannot guarantee functionality with all products.
Game card slot Exclusively for Nintendo Switch game cards.
microSD card slot Compatible with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards. Please read our microSD Card FAQ for more information on compatible microSD cards.

Please note: an update via an internet connection is required to use microSDXC memory cards.
Sensors Accelerometer / gyroscope / brightness sensor
Operating environment Temperature: 5 - 35°C / Humidity: 20 - 80%
Internal battery Lithium ion battery / battery capacity 4310mAh
Please note: the internal battery cannot be removed. If the battery needs to be replaced, it can be replaced for a fee via Nintendo Customer Support.
Battery life Approx. 4.5-9 hours

The battery life will depend on the games you play. For instance, the battery will last approximately 5.5 hours for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Charging time 3 hours approx.
Please note: this is the time taken to charge while the console is in sleep mode.

1 minute ago, Vileplume2000 said:

The title of this thread is wrong. It's Nintendo Switch (OLED model), not Nintendo Switch OLED Model.

Marketing is important! Catchy name though...

Yeah I changed it, bugged me once you pointed it out too. Mainly took it out to save the two sets of brackets (with the date) :p

• Like 1

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Family/Nintendo-Switch-OLED-model-/Nintendo-Switch-OLED-model--2000984.html

New dock is backwards compatible.

They have this warning about software compatibility.

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) is compatible with the full library of Nintendo Switch games.

However, there may be differences in game experience with some of the Toy-Con accessories from the Nintendo Labo series, due to differences in console and screen size between Nintendo Switch (OLED model) and Nintendo Switch. There may also be games where the game experience may differ due to the new capabilities of the console, such as the larger screen size

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

There may also be games where the game experience may differ due to the new capabilities of the console, such as the larger screen size

It's a few centimetres, stop being a size queen Nintendo.

If they released the dock separately (and its not wibbly wobbly like the current) I might be tempted depending on the price but I doubt they will.

4 minutes ago, Julius said:

Yeah I changed it, bugged me once you pointed it out too. Mainly took it out to save the two sets of brackets (with the date) :p

Haha, thanks for changing it. It was more a tongue in cheek comment about how silly the name is, doesn't sound like they want to market this as a big upgrade.

Also noticed this in the FAQ: The Joy-Con controllers included with Nintendo Switch (OLED model) are the same as the controllers currently available.

So no fixes there I guess?

Love the white setup though. Goes well with Metroid Dread's EMMI.

Edited by Vileplume2000
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I like the design of the new dock although I do worry about whether they've improved the actual docking 'feel'. Weirdly I like the white dock but not the white Joy-Cons.

I’m the opposite, the joy-cons I think look great but the white dock is a bit too in your face for my liking.

Seems a bit of a missed opportunity if they haven’t actually changed any of the internals. Still, I do think it looks fantastic and will be getting one as soon as I possibly can.

Just now, Will said:

I’m the opposite, the joy-cons I think look great but the white dock is a bit too in your face for my liking.

I get that but I have this weird thing with the colour white. Sometimes it looks almost sickening to me and it feels like that with the Joy-Cons although they may be different in person.

Just now, Will said:

Seems a bit of a missed opportunity [...] I will be getting one as soon as I possibly can.

The kind of fan that keeps Nintendo alive

Revealed shortly after E3, as expected :heh:

Not going super powerful with the internals, as expected :heh:

It never made sense to me that they'd want to leave an 85+ million instalbase in the cold, there's just no need.

From the name, they're positioning this very much as an optional alternative, rather than the next big thing.

Edited by Ronnie

6 minutes ago, Ike said:

So much for being 4k then. :laughing:

Yup. I don’t see the Switch Pro being a thing now. All that talk of a beefier machine and DLSS will probably be just for the eventual Switch 2.

I doubt I’ll bother with this as I mainly play on the TV and so this has no real benefit to me. Thing will sell like hot cakes though.

Edited by Hero-of-Time
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It never made sense to me that they'd want to leave an 85+ million instalbase in the cold, there's just no need.

I mean, that's never really happened with any Pro model, so not even an issue.

This is disappointing for me, Switch hardware is starting to show its age already.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ashley said:

The kind of fan that keeps Nintendo alive

That’s me!

Also, can we just take a moment to acknowledge how nice the packaging looks? Think they’ve done a great job on that side.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I doubt I’ll bother with this as I mainly play on the TV and so this has no real benefit to me. 

Same. 

Just been reading this:
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Family/Nintendo-Switch-OLED-model-/Nintendo-Switch-OLED-model--2000984.html

And it's cool but not something I need as I never play undocked since my joy-cons started drifting and I got a pro controller. @Vileplume2000 says these new joycons are just as likely to drift I don't see any need to upgrade, personally, for these particular enhancements. 

Never say never though. :p 

Love the white. Think it looks really nice. 
Disappointed at no internal upgrade. 
They could have lengthened the lifespan of it somewhat whereas I don’t feel like this will. 
Normally I’d be 100% buying one, but I haven’t touched my Switch in months. The E3 revealed games will get some play time from me, but not sure it’s worth getting this just for those. 

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I doubt I’ll bother with this as I mainly play on the TV and so this has no real benefit to me. Thing will sell like hot cakes though.

It does feel more like an upgrade to the lite (unless you were particularly enamoured with it being smaller) than it does the base unit but hey ho, no harm in its existence. 

For me, I'm really liking the white Joy-Cons, and I really like the actual design of the new dock itself (the smaller logo footprint makes it look sleek), even if it looks a bit tacky in white. I don't know what's up with console manufacturers pushing white all of a sudden (clearly we need to get the Series S instead of X now, so it all matches, right?), but the white PS5 has really grown on me, so that won't turn me away! 

Like @Hero-of-Time I also play the vast majority of the time in docked mode, and I also haven't played my Switch in a while, though that's just because I own other consoles and I've been putting a couple of games off for other things. But then I think about next year when the BotW sequel is aiming for release (so probably 2023), and that's a game like the first one where I absolutely would bring it with me around the apartment and potentially elsewhere.

I might stick a pre-order in when they go up  and have a think about it, but like others I am a bit disappointed that it's not a Pro model, because the Switch is quickly showing its age, and the increasing frequency of next-gen games over the next 6-12 months will only further emphasise that fact. Let's see what the price of this thing is first I guess. 

12 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Love the white. Think it looks really nice. 
Disappointed at no internal upgrade. 
They could have lengthened the lifespan of it somewhat whereas I don’t feel like this will. 

Yeah, so this is the part that's stumping me a little bit. 

We've heard for years now that the aim for the Switch is to have a longer life cycle than some other consoles in the past, but with this not being a mid-gen refresh like the PS4 Pro or One X...how is that being accomplished exactly? Because now I'm waiting for a Switch 2 between 2023 and 2025, which was almost the expectation anyways, even after the Pro rumours started turning up. I guess they might just be counting a potential true successor to the Switch as being a continuation of the Switch family, but it is odd. 

Edited by Julius

15 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I mean, that's never really happened with any Pro model, so not even an issue.

I disagree. 

1 minute ago, Julius said:

We've heard for years now that the aim for the Switch is to have a longer life cycle than some other consoles in the past, but with this not being a mid-gen refresh like the PS4 Pro or One X...how is that being accomplished exactly? Because now I'm waiting for a Switch 2 between 2023 and 2025, which was almost the expectation anyways, even after the Pro rumours started turning up. I guess they might just be counting a potential true successor to the Switch as being a continuation of the Switch family, but it is odd. 

Switches are flying off the shelves, it's still selling like crazy even 4+ years later. If sales were trending downwards then a more must-buy upgrade would have made sense to jolt sales again, but it's just not necessary. The current model still has 3+ years left in it from a sales pov at least. They'll ride this wave for a few more years, and then make a big splash in 2024 or whatever with the Switch 2.

Personally I wasn't craving more power, so saving myself a few hundred quid is fine by me. Saved a lot of people feeling pressured to buy a new model rather than being left in the cold.

• Like 1