NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Wii-Visiting Skyward Sword

I was debating whether to just bump the old Wii Skyward Sword topic but I figured I would start a fresh one instead. I’ve been wanting to delve back into the Wii catalogue for a while now and decided to start off with this game. It’s a game I’ve not played since it was originally released. Back then, I never got on with the control scheme and even though I did finish the game, it went down as my worst 3D Zelda game, at least until the arrival of BOTW. Time can change a persons tastes in a variety of things. That being the case, I was eager to see if my thoughts had changed on the game. I could have picked up the Switch version when it releases in a couple of weeks but playing the original version forces me to play the game as it was meant to be played and it makes for a better/fairer comparison to my original feelings. 

E5g4hPzXIAIemUY?format=jpg&name=4096x409

E5g4hP6XIAAecpx?format=jpg&name=4096x409

E5g4hP1WUAI_Xwo?format=jpg&name=4096x409

As you can see, I’ve named the file the same as the rest of the Zelda games that I’ve been playing so far this year. You can also see, given the amount of hearts on the file, that I’ve put a little time into the game already. I started my adventure yesterday and will give my thoughts on what I’ve played thus far.

I remember when first playing the game that I didn’t care for the long opening section but this time it didn’t bother me at all. As I’ve gotten older I have wanted strong narratives in games such as this and was really on board with how things started this time around. The relationship between Zelda and Link in this game is certainly one of the better ones in the series, with Spirit Tracks also being up there. I think the game does a good job of setting the scene and letting to player get to know Skyloft and its residence during this opening segment. Also, the music in Skyloft is lovely. It’s such a laid back theme.

It wasn’t too long before I jumped on my Loftwing and headed out to the big blue sky, before jumping down into the beam of light in search of Zelda. The Sealed Temple area where you land brought back horrible memories of having to fight the Imprisoned numerous times. We’ll see how I get on with that later down the line.

I loved exploring the Faron Woods area. Finding the hiding Kikwi tribe, opening up shortcuts and getting to grips with the combat movements, made for a pretty good opening area for the player to get a handle on things. The dousing mechanic is used a bit here or at least it’s supposed to be. I was happy enough to just ignore using it and find my own way around the area. I know there were a lot of complaints about this mechanic but so far it has been pretty much optional as to whether you use it or not. With the Wii audience being what it was, I can see why it was put in and it would definitely help those who are new to playing adventure games.

With a newly found slingshot in hand, I headed further into the woods area and came across Gorko the Goron.  The guy was talking about the Goddess Cubes and for the life of me I couldn’t remember what they actually done. I feel this will be a common theme going forward. I’ve only played through the game once and that was 10 years ago. Plus, I never bothered with any side mission stuff. At this point I think a lot of it will be like playing a new game. Anyway, I was happy enough to keep an eye out for these cubes during my adventure and I would find out what they do in a little while.

Skyview is the first temple in the game. It felt sooooooooo good to play through a proper Zelda dungeon again. Like I mentioned, I don’t remember everything in this game so this was like playing a new dungeon. Some of the puzzles were pretty standard but one puzzle that actually isn’t part of the dungeon itself was when fighting the Skulltula. I thought about cutting the webs but that didn’t work and then I tried to vertical slash it. Nope. A horizontal slash spun it around and then I seen it’s weak point. I figured the slingshot would take care of it here but that wasn’t the case. It then dawned on me that I could actually do a stabbing motion and sure enough that action worked. Lovely stuff. Given the nature of the control scheme, I imagine most enemies will be like this in terms of figuring out how to take them on.

I love the beetle item. It’s one of my better memories of the game. The thing is so handy, from knocking down enemies, to picking up items that are hiding away. It’s a very versatile little thing. The big chamber that you enter after getting the beetle is actually one of the areas I do remember, mainly because of the fun you can have when using the beetle item. :D 

There’s a room just after said area where there is a rope you need to walk across but there is a Bokoblin on the other side of it. I figured I would be smart and walk across the rope a bit, bait him into getting on the rope and then go back and shoot him off. Genius! I started my walk and he took the bait. As I was walking back I seen that another Bokoblin had snuck up behind me and was also walking on the rope. I was sandwiched! Sneaky little gits.

The first boss in the game is found at the end of the temple and it’s a very unique fight. In previous Zelda games the first boss is pretty easy and usually you have to use the item you find inside the dungeon to defeat the thing. That isn’t the case here. You don’t use the beetle and the boss is pretty difficult. When I originally played the game I never really got to grips with how to actually fight Ghirahim properly. During each of the encounters I remember getting frustrated and waggling randomly until I managed a hit. It took ages. This time I learned how to fight him correctly and he was taken down pretty quickly. All it takes is for you to move your sword one way so that his hand goes to that side and then move your sword to the opposite direction and slash. The second phase is easier than the first, with a quick shield bash whilst he’s running towards you leaving him wide open.

With him defeated and the tablet piece obtained, it was time to take to the skies again and return back to Skyloft. On the way back I seen that chests had appeared from the cubes that I hit. I now knew what they done! I decided to head to and open these before I returned to base. One of them was on top of the Lumpy Pumpkin building but I couldn’t figure out how to get the thing. It then dawned on me that I could probably just land on that area when I jumped off my Loftwing. Sure enough that’s what it was, although I did face plant into the floor when landing. Not very graceful at all.

Back at Skyloft I decided to tackle a few of the side quests that had popped up. I had to find a missing kid and locate the whereabouts of a person who went off on her Loftwing but never came back. The missing child quest was quite fun and I love the character (Batreaux) that you come across. The thing seems a bit insane but harmless enough. Completing this quest was what opened up the other one that I mentioned. This one was also quite simple and just had me fly to an island and then back.

After I had helped these people I went exploring around the island, just talking to the islanders and getting to know each of them a little. The amount of charm and character that is in some of them is great. The shopkeeper in particular is hilarious. It’s his animations that crack me up. Thankfully, there was a recent thread on era that highlighted them.

2U8qnl.gifd8nfdhl-06cfb533-7e5a-4292-b9f0-3e9b1f9d

Peatrice also cracked me up. She clearly hates her job and doesn’t want to be there. Poor woman. Oh, and Bertie also got a laugh out of me. I burst out laughing when I seen he had his kid strapped to his back. At least I assume it’s his kid…. There’s certainly a lot to love about the people in Skyloft and it’s something that I feel was missing from BOTW. Sure, the settings are different, with BOTW being set in a ravaged Hyrule, but having that central hub to return to and chill out in with these quirky characters is very welcome. Windfall Island was also like this.

I noticed Beedle was now flying around the town and so I set about buying all the stuff off him that I could afford. I was still short for a few of the items but I found the pots just outside of the main building where Link’s room is housed a few blue rupees and sometimes red ones as well. I just kept walking in and out of the building and building up my cash supplies before going back to Beedle. It worked like a charm. A guy in town said that I could sell my bugs to someone but I was very reluctant to part with them in case I need them further down the line.

With all of that being done, I was ready for my next destination but that’s where I called it a night.

So far, so good. I’ve certainly enjoyed my time with the game in these opening sections. I have found the motion controls fine, Fi hasn’t been intrusive yet and even the flying around the open sky hasn’t bothered me. It’s very early days but I’m feeling positive about the whole thing at the moment.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

God I love Skyward Sword.  Every inch of it is so meticulously designed and handcrafted with love! :D 

It’s very much like Minish Cap in full 3D.  It trades breadth for depth and it’s all the better for it!

Combat is first class as well.  10 years later and there’s still nothing that feels as “real” as Skyward Sword in that regard!

And all of the puzzles are just tremendously good.  Some of the very best dungeons in the series! And the way that they play around with your knowledge of each of the three main overworld areas throughout the game is incredible! The level design is just out of this world!

Amazing game! Can’t wait to replay it on Switch! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

It’s very much like Minish Cap in full 3D.  It trades breadth for depth and it’s all the better for it!

That’s exactly how I’ve been feeling about it playing it today. Makes sense given it’s the same director. There’s a lot to do in such a small space.

My adventure continued today with me diving into the Eldin Volcano area. The Mogma characters that pop up here are great and full of personality. There’s a hilarious conversation between two of them about how to find key pieces to open the door. One of them then realises that they are mole type creatures and can just dig under the door and into the temple. Amazing. :laughing: 

Like the forest area before it, I enjoyed figuring out how to make my way through the area. I love that the different settings are essentially dungeons themselves. It’s like the game eases you in to each new location and then gives you the main meat of the area once you enter a temple. 

The bombs took a little getting used to. Throwing them is fine but I initially found rolling them a little fiddly. Once I started positioning the Wiimote correctly I was getting much better results and bombing structures and creatures that hide in skulls like nobodies business. I appreciate how fast the bomb plants grow back. They seem to respawn a lot quicker than what they did in Ocarina of Time. There was a puzzle early on that required me to bomb a rock that was plugging a lava flow. I kept trying to run across a sinking bridge to get close enough to throw the bomb but this wasn’t working at all. It then dawned on me that I should roll the thing. Idiot.:blush:

I love the Digging Mitts, just as I did when playing Minish Cap. They’ve come in pretty handy, not just for moving the game forward but also for replenishing my hearts. There’s a section where you have to slide down various paths in order to grab some items. To get there you have to pass through a fire area and this takes away some of your health. I kept cocking up the routes and losing my hearts but thankfully the dig spots scattered around the place nicely replenished my health.

I wasn’t a fan of the digging mini game, that for some reason was hidden behind a rock. There’s too much reliance on luck for it to make it worthwhile playing and there doesn’t seem to be any upgrades of exclusive items that you get from winning. After a couple of games of what is essentially Minesweeper, I moved on from that area. Far better keep my rupees for something better.

I was quite surprised how brief my time in the Earth Temple was. It seemed quite straight forward but then I suppose the challenge this time was getting into the dungeon rather than completing it. Despite the brevity of the dungeon, it was still a fun trek though it. I really enjoyed riding around on the giant boulders/balls and I’m shocked motion controls weren’t used for this just like they were in Mario Galaxy when Mario was standing on a ball.

The introduction to the Lizalfos enemies was a welcome one. Now these guys I do remember and I also remember that I just waggled my way to victory every time they showed up. It’s a strategy that worked 10 years ago and it’s one that worked now. No need to wait and pick my moment when I can simply flail around and get the same result but in a much quicker time. :D It reminds me of when the game was originally released and a Reggie appeared on the Jimmy Fallon show to promote it. Poor Reggie was trying to tell him to be precise with his movements but Jimmy just went crazy with the Wiimote and finished the enemy off stupidly quick.

I enjoyed the boss battle in this temple. It was a much more traditional Zelda fight, with bombs being used for the main way to stun it before getting hits in with my sword. Scaldera is very much a slight variation of Donodgo. Stun it, get him to suck up a bomb and then go to town on it with sword slashes. Rinse and repeat.

After finishing the temple I headed back to the skies to collect my rewards from the Goddess Cubes that I had found. I quite like this aspect of the game. You explore in the land area and then get rewarded with goodies in the skies. It encourages exploration but also fleshes out the sky area a little more. Sure, you just have to fly to the area on the map, land and open then chest but it gives you something to do other than going straight back to Skyloft.

Speaking of other things to do, I done a side quest that had me carrying pumpkins to a storage area. This was trickier than it should have been. When the 5 pumpkins started to lean left I had to go right to compensate and vice versa. It was a very fiddly affair and took a couple of attempts. It would have been much quicker for Link to have picked up a couple at a time and just ran to the shed with them!

That’s all the progress I’ve made today which has left me ready to explore the mine area next. Not sure if I’ll go back for another session this evening but once again I’ve certainly enjoyed my time playing on it today.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fair play to you for going through this again. Any more progress?

There's a lot I enjoyed about Skyward Sword (Zelda herself, Groose, the quirky characters in general, the controls, the toilet callback to MM, the overworld as a dungeon aspect) and I'd probably say that overall I had a great time with it. At best the sky reminded me of exploring Skies of Arcardia... at worst... well it was functional. The thing that really killed my enjoyment was the blatant padding that amounted to little more than busywork. It was like they had an hour quota they wanted to meet and by hook or by crook they were going to do it.:( In fact, it left such a bitter taste that I still feel it's far too soon for me to consider Wii-visiting SS. At least this thread and the Switch thread will let me remember the good bits without having to slog through the rest. :D 

I haven't played it since it came out (apart from messing around in Dolphin). seems I've forgotten quite a bit based on HoT's write-up.

Apart from the pumpkins, not looking forward to doing that again.

One of my favourite memories from Skyward Sword was when I found out that you could stab the pumpkins in Skyloft and get them stuck on your sword; then you could fling them off in whatever direction you swung your sword (oh and they would float down the river if you throw it in as well!).  That attention to detail just blew my mind!

Wasted a good hour or so just messing around with the pumpkins by flinging them at people, enemies and things! :D 

17 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

One of my favourite memories from Skyward Sword was when I found out that you could stab the pumpkins in Skyloft and get them stuck on your sword; then you could fling them off in whatever direction you swung your sword (oh and they would float down the river if you throw it in as well!).  That attention to detail just blew my mind!

Wasted a good hour or so just messing around with the pumpkins by flinging them at people, enemies and things! :D 

• Haha 6

On 09/07/2021 at 5:28 PM, Dcubed said:

And thus the sandbox approach to Zelda was born. :( 

I've been looking through a lot of image results and can't quite find what I'm after, but I always thought of this as a precursor to the Hyrule Warriors games:
1802.jpg

Skyward Sword has a lot to answer for. 

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this