NEurope
CrowingJoe79

Are Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil Village both overrated?

14 hours ago, Glen-i said:

If only it could support Gyro (or the Wii Remote's IR aiming)...

Is there no separate mod available for that kind of thing? :blank: I suppose mouse cursor control is an option with the PC version too, although I've not tried it myself.

While gameplay with the default controller settings in RE4 is indeed pretty clunky (especially when returning to it after a long time playing modern games) it also tends to click quite quickly. I did enjoy IR aiming in the Wii version, but I also seem to recall it making the game less of a challenge as well.

31 minutes ago, RedShell said:

While gameplay with the default controller settings in RE4 is indeed pretty clunky (especially when returning to it after a long time playing modern games) it also tends to click quite quickly. I did enjoy IR aiming in the Wii version, but I also seem to recall it making the game less of a challenge as well.

Well yeah, any game that has a decent gyro (or in RE4's case, IR) option will inevitably be less of a challenge. But that's because gyro is just inherently superior to aiming with a control stick. That's like saying Doom on Switch is easier then the original release because it supports gyro.

Aiming with sticks is frustrating for me. Any game that has aiming something make up a significant amount of gameplay these days just feels awful to play because I've played quite a few games with great gyro controls. It feels like a serious step backwards.

Resi Evil 4 on Switch really ticks me off because the Wii version is the first game that really made me realise how awesome motion aiming is. So seeing it released on Switch, with it's native gyro support and not have the option just shows how half-arsed the port was.

Now, that's not to take away from the amazing mod you were bigging up. Because the controls weren't the focus of it. But I just can't go back to that experience of me having a miserable time playing the GameCube version.

If there is a separate mod that allows gyro support, well then, RE4 will finally have a definitive version.

Edited by Glen-i

@Glen-i have you been able to check out the VR version of RE4 at all?

That's something I'd quite like to try at some point. Supposedly the aiming in that version of the game is super intuitive.
It could never be the definitive version though due to being censored. :indeed:

1 hour ago, RedShell said:

@Glen-i have you been able to check out the VR version of RE4 at all?

That's something I'd quite like to try at some point. Supposedly the aiming in that version of the game is super intuitive.
It could never be the definitive version though due to being censored. :indeed:

Oh yeah, it looks like loads of fun. Definitely want to try it as well, just for the novelty of it all.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 1:24 PM, CrowingJoe79 said:

Well... what do you think? Do you think RE4 is golden, or is it overly praised dog poop?

Why the polarised question?

Regardless, I remember being a loyal GameCube owner back in the day and I heard about this game in gaming magazines all the time. When it came out and I played it I felt slightly disappointed especially as the PS2 version would be out not long after. It would have been great if some of the earlier ideas from the RE4 prototypes had been put into the game and I felt that the story and game style was quite removed from the old RE stories.

RE4 was the game that needed to come out, it helped revive the series and brought a lot of new fans to the series as a whole. I think it's a great game and I loved the Mercs mini game as well. The best game in the series for me however is Resident Evil (remake) on the Gamecube.

Edited by sumo73
  • Thanks 1