NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
darksnowman

NEO: The World Ends With You

This song feels like it belongs in a modern day Sonic game.

Seeing as this a remixed version of a song from the original game, I imagine such a comment was made in the TWEWY thread back in the day.

The Yearlong Ensemble pins are pretty much the only way I could pull off the last 5% or so.

This game's great. Had a lot more fun then the DS game!

If this was last year, I would've put it somewhere in my GotY list.

Will give more detailed thoughts in the Gaming Diary thread later.

Edited by Glen-i

Finally got around to finishing this game.

FjZtAfzXkBMURXz?format=jpg&name=4096x409

It really did become a bit of a slog towards the end, hence me taking ages to complete the thing. The story really drags on and the amount of chatter between characters gets more and more as you progress. I wouldn't say it got as bad as Tales of Arise but it certainly was up there. At least the narrative was more interesting in this game than it was in that.

Getting the 100%/platinum is a massive grind. Having to collect all 333 pins and then level every single one of them up took a stupid amount of time. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the game I have spent the most time on this year. Getting the pins wouldn't be that bad but they are scattered across multiple chapters of the game. This means you have to revisit each of them and while you can fast forward cutscenes, you can't outright skip them. It's a baffling decision that really sours repeat playthroughs of chapters.

Repetition is a common theme when trying to nab the pins. You have to fight the bosses so many times it's beyond stupid. Fighting them on different difficult levels is bad enough but then having to fight different variations of them and on the different difficulties is just nuts. It wouldn't be so bad if you could get the lower difficulty pins and the harder difficulty pins by doing the hardest setting but this isn't the case and you only get 1 pin drop each battle with the boss.

The secret bosses were decent but very easy to overcome, especially once you get the Black Cat pin set. It melts their health bar down in super quick time and equipping clothing that has the Regen ability meant that not having any healing pins at the ready wasn't really an issue. Even the hardest of the secret bosses was taken down easily with a water based missile set. This was done before I had the Black Cat set as he had one of them as his drop.

It's a decent game that overstays it's welcome and then becomes a chore when going for 100%. I still prefer the original game over this but I did appreciate all the references and other things from the original game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the game I have spent the most time on this year.

Do you have an estimate? I need hours :D 

Great to see, you've done it :peace: You mentioned before that it's a stupidly long grind and I wondered when you were finally done with it.

14 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Do you have an estimate? I need hours :D 

Great to see, you've done it :peace: You mentioned before that it's a stupidly long grind and I wondered when you were finally done with it.

Probably over 100 hours. Hopefully the yearly PS stat wrap up will highlight it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Probably over 100 hours. Hopefully the yearly PS stat wrap up will highlight it.

It will probably highlight it, but as usual it will be completely wrong. :p 

• Haha 1

Took me over 130 hours according to my Switch profile.

Granted, that's how long the game was on for. But there's a ballpark for you, @drahkon

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

Took me over 130 hours according to my Switch profile.

Granted, that's how long the game was on for. But there's a ballpark for you, @drahkon

How did you find when going for 100%? Did you mind it or were you getting a bit sick by the end of it all?

30 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

How did you find when going for 100%? Did you mind it or were you getting a bit sick by the end of it all?

The most annoying thing was constantly chugging coffee to get the drop rate bonus maximised. And then eating everything to max out everyone's stats. Mastering all the pins pretty much happened before I beat every superboss, so that wasn't too bad (Obviously, I had to do one last pin afterward, but that didn't matter too much). Yearlong Ensemble and chaining 10 fights with the hardest puffer fish enemies made grinding very easy.

Spoiler

In regards to the food boosts, it got annoying because Minanimoto becomes playable again after the credits, and he has some absolutely amazing endgame threads! (Neku is the only one who has better) Which meant I had to shove food down his throat a lot...

That last superboss is proper BS though. It can easily one shot you, even with maxed stats. I'm just thankful you don't need to be level 1 on Ultimate to get the pin.

All in all, I didn't mind. I was still having fun by the end. The fact that I 100% this, but not the DS one says a lot about how much more manageable the controls are.

Edited by Glen-i

I never bothered maxing the stats as I found it wasn't really needed. The puffer fish method was quick enough to grind cash, especially with the Black Cat pins equipped. Levelling the pins was easy (Week 3 Day 4 fighting chained frogs with PP maxing threads) but I made it worse on myself by not switching pins out during the course of my playthrough, so it being a slog at the end. 

The last superboss I didn't think was bad at all. Yeah, he can one shot you but he telegraphs his moves and you can easily dodge them by dodging towards him. The water missiles I used meant that I was able to keep well enough away from him and do damage from a distance. Speaking of dodging, I found it very stupid that they had the dodge move as one button in battle and then the dash dodge move whilst exploring as another button. The amount of times I used a special move in battle because of this was ridiculous. :D 

The hardest pin to obtain for me was the one from the Plague Wolf. The thing has a stupidly low drop rate, not to mention you can't chain fights to raise the rates.

Sign in to follow this