Sign in to follow this  
Josh64

Cruis'n Blast

Posted (edited)

Cruis'nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn! 

This one was a bit out of the left field at yesterday's event but looks like a wild time! Is anyone else excited for this? I feel as though it might be a good substitute for those of us that loved Excite Truck and Excite Bots.

I've never owned a Cruis'n game before but it's in my local arcade and is a right blast. After a bit of searching it seems the series has fairly strong Nintendo roots as the aforementioned arcade machine is donned with massive Nintendo logo's and the N64 games seemed like a staples of the console. There seems to have been exclusive GBA and Wii releases too, though I didn't know that until just now. Is this a Nintendo property?

The arcade hit Cruis’n Blast is speeding onto Nintendo Switch™! 

Blast your way through nearly 30 over-the-top tracks.

Grab the wheel of 23 custom rides from licensed supercars to monster trucks and unicorns!

Up to four players can race together, so pick your favorite vehicle and hit the road!

Edited by Josh64

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

Is this a Nintendo property?

Midway Games were the ones who did the N64 game. That I know. And I'm pretty sure Nintendo published that.

Considering that outside of Arcades, the Cruis'n series has never appeared on a non-Nintendo console, I'm gonna say Nintendo at least own part of it. Kinda like Pokémon.

Not entirely certain on that, mind.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

You can race as a Triceratops, a shark and a unicorn, what’s not to love? Depending on how this pans out I may take the plunge. 

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

You can race as a Triceratops, a shark and a unicorn, what’s not to love? Depending on how this pans out I may take the plunge. 

Finally, we get to play Donkey Kong Racing

• Haha 4

I spent more time on the arcade version of the original Cruis'n USA than I care to admit. :hehe: Was a teenager back then though, and you got a lot of gameplay for your 20p. :grin: In fact, sometimes you wouldn't even need to pay, as getting 1st place was so easy the machine was often just abandoned on a free play!: :D

58saxgI.gif

Also played the sequel (Cruis'n World) a little bit, but nothing else in the series since then. Looks like there have been 4 more games made in that time, with Blast being the latest. But yeah, I certainly don't plan to get this any time soon/ever. :heh: It's bad enough my poor ears got subjected to the atrocious music in that trailer. :shakehead The song just randomly popped into my head again the other day at which point I was like...

GGagFit.gif

:laughing:

Posted (edited)

I've never been a fan of any of the Cruis'n games, but it's great to see a proper Arcade Racer being made in this day and age :) 

I've played the cabinet for Blast a couple of times and it's alright.

On 6/16/2021 at 4:07 PM, Glen-i said:

Midway Games were the ones who did the N64 game. That I know. And I'm pretty sure Nintendo published that.

Considering that outside of Arcades, the Cruis'n series has never appeared on a non-Nintendo console, I'm gonna say Nintendo at least own part of it. Kinda like Pokémon.

Not entirely certain on that, mind.

Nintendo own the Cruis'n IP 100% and always have.  Midway made the original N64 games (as well as whatever that abomination was on Wii), but Cruis'n Blast is (or rather I should say, was) an arcade exclusive Cruis'n game made by Raw Thrills (a company set up in 2001 by ex Midway staff) released in 2017.  Nintendo licensed the Cruis'n IP to Raw Thrills for that release.

This is the console port of that 2017 arcade game.

One thing that's also notable is that this is Raw Thrills' first ever console release, period.  They were previously committed to keeping all of their games arcade only, so this is the first time that any of their games have received a home console version.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this