NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Josh64

Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania

It has been 9 years since the last original Monkey Ball game on PS Vita but finally after dipping their toe back in the water recently with the HD re-release of Banana Blitz, SEGA are blessing us with a wonderful celebration of the whole series, lovingly remade for modern consoles! 

The official word from Bad-Boon: 

Get ready for a modern HD remaster of Super Monkey Ball 1, Super Monkey Ball 2, and Super Monkey Ball Deluxe releasing on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via Steam on October 5, 2021.

Also - Getting the real answers, the original announcer is back!

yes!!.png

Edited by Josh64
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

As I said to you, I can't believe it's been 20 years since the original came out. 

I'll probably pick this up. The games were a lot of fun. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ashley said:

As I said to you, I can't believe it's been 20 years since the original came out. 

I'll probably pick this up. The games were a lot of fun. 

1 is especially good, 2 is still great but some of the levels are ludicrously unforgiving and it makes me wonder if they will leave them as is or edit them slightly - I recently played through 2 on Dolphin and one level in particular made me nearly lose my mind :bouncy:

2 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

I recently played through 2 on Dolphin and one level in particular made me nearly lose my mind :bouncy:

Gonna take a stab here...

Switch Inferno?

6 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Gonna take a stab here...

Switch Inferno?

GOD that was one of them but not the one I was thinking of :laughing: I was actually thinking of arthropod! 

Also, some unlockable content found within the website not yet officially announced:  

Spoiler

Character artwork for Sonic the Hedgehog and Tails have been found buried within the official website for SEGA’s Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania, suggesting that the two furry heroes are planned to be (as-yet-unannounced) playable characters in the game.

Spoiler link

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

GOD that was one of them but not the one I was thinking of :laughing: I was actually thinking of arthropod! 

Ah nuts! That would've been my second guess!

It's so difficult that I end up just waiting for about 20 seconds and then just bum rushing the stage, hoping to hit the goal at full speed.

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

Ah nuts! That would've been my second guess!

It's so difficult that I end up just waiting for about 20 seconds and then just bum rushing the stage, hoping to hit the goal at full speed.

That's all I've ever known! And I used to be able to do it fine, just linger around until about 0.37 and bomb it but I just could NOT do it. Ended up using a save state at about the 40 second mark and doing it about 20 times before finally bodging my way in. I have no idea how I had it down so easy back in the day. 

• Haha 1

That trailer looked fantastic! God I hope they don't screw this up...

Will be hooking up my Gamecube controller and partying like it's 2002! :D 

Edited by Dcubed

On 16/06/2021 at 5:51 AM, Dcubed said:

That trailer looked fantastic! God I hope they don't screw this up...

Will be hooking up my Gamecube controller and partying like it's 2002! :D 

It didn't even occur to me that this is possible! That will be truly awesome! 

Some more info!

Sega says Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania will include more than 300 recreated levels and refined versions of the 12 multiplayer mini-games from the original games. Those 12 multiplayer games won’t be playable online, though — they’re four-player local multiplayer only, Sega tells The Verge. The remaster does have online leaderboards and an online time attack mode, however.

via The Verge

Also, Engadget has some info regarding the release - what seems interesting to me is that 'original soundtrack' is included in that, so I wonder what we can expect from a potential new soundtrack on the base game

The release coincides with the 20th anniversary of the series and Sega has a bunch of extras planned to celebrate the milestone. It's also offering a digital deluxe edition for $50, complete with extra character and console skins and new items, plus the original soundtrack. A 20th anniversary edition featuring an art book and special cover and sleeve, along with ten cosmetic items, will also be available at retailers — though Sega did not disclose its price at the time of writing.

soccerjpegh.jpg

I've scoured Twitter for some of the character skins and they look incredible, especially OG AiAi!

Edited by Josh64
  • Like 1

I'm sure I saw on Twitter the digital version has stuff the physical version doesn't, but you will be able to purchase the extras at a later date. 

Outside of a house party type atmosphere, I cannot understand why ANYONE would ever want to play this game with gyro controls. 

Expert mode was hard enough with a control stick! 

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

60 FPS and gyro controls confirmed.

I would bloody hope that it's 60FPS! It would be embarassing if it wasn't!

Motion controls are nice, but hopefully they're not actually using the gyro (but instead are using the accellerometer).  Using the gyro would actually make the game unplayable as it starts drifting within seconds; so hopefully SEGA aren't dumb enough to use it instead of the accellerometer...

content-4-36533-supermonkeyballbananamanianewtrailerbanner.jpg

Sega releases Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania "Meet the Gang" trailer

Now up on the main page.

- - - - -

• Thanks 2

I can only imagine that's just another Tuesday for him.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

content-4-36550-supermonkeyballbananamaniamoreminigamesandmodesbanner.jpg

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania has more mini games and modes revealed

Now up on the main page.

Almost certainly the Super Monkey Ball game which fans have been waiting for since the original games...

...which is ironic, seeing as it is essentially the original games, but in HD, and with more content, but sometimes that's enough.

- - - - -

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now I'm definitely going to get the game! 

Although I do think the bananas should go towards unlocking the extra stuff, or even simply keep a record of your highest banana count for the stage.

Edit; a follow up tweet mentions the bananas will be used to unlock stuff.

That said, they still should allow the option for lives for those who like such a thing.

22 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Yeah, removing it completely is a bad decision. It should be an option instead.

The thing is that the original SMB2/SMB Deluxe already had a Story Mode; which removed the lives system and gave you infinite chances to complete each stage!

They've literally just removed the Arcade Mode; for no good reason! (You know, the whole main point of the original Monkey Ball; which is, you know, an ARCADE GAME!!).

SEGA really have no clue about what made the original games so good.

Edited by Dcubed

Doesm't seem like SEGA have much of an idea when it comes to their older game franchises anymore in general really...

Sign in to follow this