NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

WarioWare Get It Together! (10th Sept)

Yup.  This game is rad as hell.  Was a bit sceptical about the concept’s longevity and variety; but they absolutely nailed it! Great stuff!

We’ve only just gotten up to Remix 2, but 18 Volt is definitely the best character ;) 

Bit weird that they’ve moved away from full voice acting back to traditional Wario Ware text boxes though.

Also… holy crap there’s a LOT of Rhythm Heaven references in this game!! Are they hinting at something I wonder ;) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Yeah, the only criticism I have is that they've backtracked to only partial voice acting. A shame after Gold's high quality in that department.

The rest of the game is utterly solid though. We've only done the main meat of Story Mode and it was a complete riot! Can't wait to get stuck into the extra games we unlocked!

• Like 1

The presentation of "Gotta Bounce" is enough to make me die of laughter!

No way I'm getting a high score on that!

• Haha 1

Just finished Story Mode and now finally have a use for the coins... And there's no unlockable souvenirs or toys? Just character art and colour/voice swaps? Bit disappointing TBH.

Unless there's something else that pops up, this game seems to have the least amount of unlockable content in the series since the original Mega Microgames.  The multiplayer suite is really good though, easily the most robust multiplayer package in the series since Mega Party Games! (A couple of the multiplayer modes are heavily based on that game in particular... most notably Balloon Bang); it even has bespoke multiplayer microgames like in MPG! :D

BTW, this is something of an observation that I wasn't expecting from the outset, but this game is based heavily on physics simulation.  Outside of the multiple characters concept, this is the biggest gimmick that GIT brings to the series.  Almost every single game is built off of a base physics engine that is repurposed in a myriad of different ways; and there's even a bit of BOTW's Chemistry Engine in here too (especially put to good use with...

Spoiler

Penny.  Who can cheese quite a lot of games with her water cannon; wasn't expecting it to be so abusable!

).  It's a decidedly different take on the Wario Ware concept that I feel does work well.  They obviously couldn't put out another standard Wario Ware style game, since the Switch lacks any sort of new & interesting controller gimmick, but I feel that this experimental approach actually works out pretty well! Can only imagine it was a big design challenge to wring as much out of the base physics/chemistry engine and the multiple character concept (with just movement and a single button to work with); but they actually pulled it off! :D

It's not my favourite game in the series, but it's a worthy entry in the Wario Ware series that does enough to stand on its own two feet; despite lacking the ability to base its gameplay on a new method of controller input.  Nintendo & Intelligent Systems did a great job here, and it's one of the few truly original (non remake/non port/non upgraded version of WIi U game) first party Switch games that I am genuinely happy with :) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Just finished Story Mode and now finally have a use for the coins... And there's no unlockable souvenirs or toys? Just character art and colour/voice swaps? Bit disappointing TBH.

:(

Is it also true that...

Spoiler

Pyoro only appears as an additional playable character, but there's no actual Pyoro mini-game itself? :hmm:

Thinking I was right to give this one a miss, at least at launch. If it ever sees a reasonable discount then I may still pick it up in the future, but at the moment if I ever have the urge to play some WarioWare I'll just jump back into one of the old versions. :D

29 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Is it also true that...

post-game content (Reveal hidden contents)

Pyoro only appears as an additional playable character, but there's no actual Pyoro mini-game itself? :hmm:

Thinking I was right to give this one a miss, at least at launch. If it ever sees a reasonable discount then I may still pick it up in the future, but at the moment if I ever have the urge to play some WarioWare I'll just jump back into one of the old versions. :D

Spoiler

Yes, but because he's a character, he can be used in every side game!

In other words, Pyoro Volleyball, Pyoro: The Fighting Game, Pyoro Keepie Uppy, and so on.

45 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Is it also true that...

post-game content (Hide contents)

Yeah.  Seems that way.  Mind you though, who knows what you get for unlocking and Flowering every microgame, I ain’t gonna be done with that for a good while (and you just know that there’s gonna be something for doing it here!).

Worth noting as well that the Missions return from Wario Ware Gold, but there are a LOT more this time around (well over 100 just from a cursory glance!), so there’s plenty to do if you want to truly 100% everything.

Either way, it’s a solid entry in the series, despite the lack of unlockable toys & mini games.  I would recommend picking it up.  Also, there’s an unlockable…

Spoiler

option to make everyone’s voice into Baby Face

which is basically aimed squarely at you ;) 

Edited by Dcubed

4 hours ago, RedShell said:

I'm thinking you may have been right too :blank:

I'm up as far as Remix 2 (which is still very early) but I feel like I'm constantly trying to remind myself that WarioWare games usually get better.. but man, the concerns I had from the initial reveal of the game and the demo have not yet been eased as I'd hoped!

It will get better.. it will get better...... 

16 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Also, there’s an unlockable…

Spoiler (Reveal hidden contents)

option to make everyone’s voice into Baby Face

which is basically aimed squarely at you ;)

Hahaha! That’s brilliant. But I can’t be the only weirdo, surely? :heh: Someone on the WarioWare dev team is also a fan at the very least. :grin:

12 hours ago, nekunando said:

It will get better.. it will get better...... 

Fingers crossed that it does.

8 hours ago, RedShell said:

Fingers crossed that it does.

If anything, it's getting worse!

5-Volt is absolutely terrible 😖

24 minutes ago, nekunando said:

5-Volt is absolutely terrible 😖

5-volt is OK, it’s the other 2 that suck.

11 hours ago, Ike said:

5-volt is OK, it’s the other 2 that suck.

You kidding, right? 18-volt is easily one of the best characters. It's ridiculous how flexible he is!

5-volt is one of those characters who either completely demolishes a microgame, or really struggles. Case in point, that microgame where you have to navigate through a cave to a helicopter, 5-volt can literally just warp there! But throw her at a game where she needs to hover around the top of the screen, and she kinda falls apart.

EDIT: Oh right, and 9-volt is apparently one of the better characters for speedrun purposes, he's difficult, but awesome, thanks to the sheer force behind his Yo-Yo. He's really good at games that require you to move an object if you can aim properly.

Edited by Glen-i

I have enjoyed what I have played of this game, I completed the story mode and beat all the single player missions, I also levelled up Cricket and gave him a Kawaii design but I'm pretty much done with it. I sometimes dig up the old games to this day and still have a blast but this one isn't quite wacky enough to hold my interest and the character mechanic ultimately slows down the gameplay and sucks out a lot of the gameplay variety.

Given the myriad of different unique things about the joycon, the IR, the HD rumble and ofc motion controls, it's a shame we didn't get a sequel to Smooth Moves but given the existence of the Lite and how local play seems to thrive on the system I can see why they'd go with this route. 

Not for me but I can see how this ultimately appeals to a wider audience and will be more welcoming to newcomers. The only true thing that is objectively worse about this game and not just personal preference is the complete lack of extras - I loved all the weird and stupid extra unlockables you could get in previous games. 

• Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this