NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Advance Wars 1+2 Re-Boot Camp (21st April 2023)

I was expecting a Fire Emblem announcement. Will definitely take this though, never played the series. Another day 1 purchase.

Do we know who is making this? Graphics look like the Links Awakening Remake and so I instantly though of Grezzo. They often handle remakes and so this would be right up their street.

I can’t remember if I played both, but I’m ready for a replay regardless.

Looks pretty good, I'm just glad Advance Wars is getting another chance. Missed opportunity not doing a Smash character at the same time though.

1 minute ago, Mandalore said:

Looks pretty good, I'm just glad Advance Wars is getting another chance. Missed opportunity not doing a Smash character at the same time though.

This is a good point. It would have be a great way to add to the revival. Shame. :( 

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This is a good point. It would have be a great way to add to the revival. Shame. :( 

Far too late to get in Smash Ultimate.

Anyway, those people clamouring for Advance Wars better put their money where their mouth is, because if this doesn't meet expectations, it's going dormant again!

Just now, Glen-i said:

Anyway, those people clamouring for Advance Wars better put their money where their mouth is, because if this doesn't meet expectations, it's going dormant again!

I think it will depend on how it performs in Japan. It doesn’t look like they’ve added any waifus and dating mechanics into the game and so I’m expecting the franchise disappear once this releases.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think it will depend on how it performs in Japan. It doesn’t look like they’ve added any waifus and dating mechanics into the game and so I’m expecting the franchise disappear once this releases.

So true

Calling it now.  Wayforward are co-developing this game.

The art style SCREAMS Wayforward.

My jaw never dropped twice during any presentation, but the revival of Advance Wars did it. The mad lads. Every single Fire Emblem "leaker" going on about how IS is totally working on a remake turned out to be right... they just got the wrong franchise!

Holy shit, this is amazing. I still occasionally listen to Sami's theme, recognizing a remix for it on the trailer felt like this was tailor-made for me. Plus, Advance Wars 1 campaign with gameplay tweaks from AW2? YES, PLEASE! Advance Wars Ultimate, bitches, deal with it.

Maybe they can also remake Days of Ruin! Or just bring the COs from Dual Strike as DLC for this game (albeit tweaked for balance, Javier needs to chill). Guys, we need to make this game successful!

4 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Maybe they can also remake Days of Ruin! Or just bring the COs from Dual Strike as DLC for this game (albeit tweaked for balance, Javier needs to chill). Guys, we need to make this game successful!

Not sure if it’s true or not but apparently the game didn’t even feature in the Japanese Direct. I’m aware of the history the series has in Japan but with the Switch being a success over there I would have at least thought they would give the game a push.

If anyone is looking for a bit of WayForward to tide them over, Bakugan: Champions of Vestoria is 60% off on the eShop at £15.99 until 27th June. Some Shantaes, River City Girls, Mighty Switch Force!, and Vitamin Connection are reduced too, but we all know Bakugan is the biggie. 

• Like 1

The game allows for local and online battles for up to 4 players (confirmed in Treeouse Live).

Edited by MindFreak
  • Thanks 1

The eShop listing implies that online play is limited to 2 players, while local multi (same system and local wireless) is 1-4 players.

Makes sense.  Most online 4 player matches would never end, as it inevitably gets filled with jerks grieving others and artificially prolonging matches.

Here’s hoping that we also get online custom map sharing! :D 

Edited by Dcubed

I’m assuming they’ll combine the ‘Map modes’ (can’t remember the name, but the non-story battles).  I recall Advance Wars 2 included most of, if not all, of the maps from the first game.  This was one of the those moments when originally playing it that it dawned on me just how large the game was & what great value it was!

• Like 1

Wonder if they’ll be cool enough to do a reverse cover with the AW2 boxart as well…

Sad news.  Had my suspicions though, considering how quiet Nintendo has been regarding this game since E3...

Hopefully they can use that time to fix and speed up the battle screen loading times.

• Thanks 2

Box art lookin' good:

Looks like the blue haired guy has been popping roids.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Sad news.  Had my suspicions though, considering how quiet Nintendo has been regarding this game since E3...

Hopefully they can use that time to fix and speed up the battle screen loading times.

Well, that blows, but like you said, the writing was on the wall. I would have been more concerned if it had managed a December release, I know it seems like a pretty faithful remake, but not giving it much of a push in terms of marketing seemed like they were sending it out to die! At the same time though, Q1 2022 is stacked, so that might still be the case :(

Genuine question for those who have played the original: I'm thinking of picking up a Wii U in the next few weeks, is there any reason that I should wait for this rather than picking up the GBA versions based on what we've seen so far?

Edited by Julius

20 minutes ago, Julius said:

Well, that blows, but like you said, the writing was on the wall. I would have been more concerned if it had managed a December release, I know it seems like a pretty faithful remake, but not giving it much of a push in terms of marketing seemed like they were sending it out to die! At the same time though, Q1 2022 is stacked, so that might still be the case :(

Genuine question for those who have played the original: I'm thinking of picking up a Wii U in the next few weeks, is there any reason that I should wait for this rather than picking up the GBA versions based on what we've seen so far?

AFAIK, these Switch remakes include all of the content from the original GBA releases (+online multiplayer).  The dialogue has been re-written though, so if you want to experience the game as it was originally; go ahead and get the GBA originals.

Otherwise? We really don't know what gameplay tweaks and changes they're making compared to the GBA originals yet; whether that be obvious stuff (like gameplay rebalancing) or more subtle stuff (like tweaks to how the AI works).  Hard to say until we see more of the game really.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Julius said:

I'm thinking of picking up a Wii U in the next few weeks

jontron-why-would-you-do-that.gif

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this