NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Mario Party Superstars (29th Oct)

Really chuffed about this. 

The series has been terrible for such a long time, that going back to what made it so good is a really smart move.

Definitely be a day one purchase for me! 

1 minute ago, Aneres11 said:

Really chuffed about this. 

The series has been terrible for such a long time, that going back to what made it so good is a really smart move.

Definitely be a day one purchase for me! 

Yeah, the N64era games were amazing and remastering them is a welcome surprise.

• Like 1

So they're finally seeing sence and getting rid of the car and the free roam board styles? I might actually buy this one for once.

15 minutes ago, martinist said:

So they're finally seeing sence and getting rid of the car and the free roam board styles? I might actually buy this one for once.

Pssst! Super Mario Party already did that. Where have you been?

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Glen-i said:

Passt! Super Mario Party already did that. Where have you been?

Not playing Mario Party

Oh no, Boo seems to be relegated back to stealing stuff.

Worst Mario Party confirmed!

EDIT: Oh wow! That Skeleton Key dialogue is amazing! "OK, I'll open the gate. No, it's fine! You go on ahead"

It's so two-faced.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

It's been a while since I played the N64 ones but only five maps again gives me a deep sigh. Maybe they'll be bigger than SMP and I've just forgotten. 

Still surprised we've received no extra content for SMP. Seems ripe for DLC. 

4 minutes ago, Ashley said:

It's been a while since I played the N64 ones but only five maps again gives me a deep sigh. Maybe they'll be bigger than SMP and I've just forgotten. 

Still surprised we've received no extra content for SMP. Seems ripe for DLC. 

Why offer DLC when you can churn out another entry in the same engine! 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Josh64 said:

Why offer DLC when you can churn out another entry in the same engine! 

I'm actually thankful for this.

Because it means I'm not forced to use Joy-Cons! I can actually play the damn game!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

I'm actually thankful for this.

Because it means I'm not forced to use Joy-Cons! I can actually play the damn game!

Honestly me too, not for that reason but I sold Super Mario Party so this is the perfect way to jump back in. I'm also really excited but can't help but be cynical and bitter without realising :laughing:

I messaged my former housemate earlier saying "If we were still living together I'd get that new Mario Party so we can enjoy it for one weekend and never play it again" which I think sums up my feelings on the game. 

Thus I won't get it because I live alone now but dang that nostalgia.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I messaged my former housemate earlier saying "If we were still living together I'd get that new Mario Party so we can enjoy it for one weekend and never play it again" which I think sums up my feelings on the game. 

I feel your pain there, I will get it as it will come in handy every month or so but back in the WiiU era this would have been a blast every week :cry:

8 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I mean, it has online capabilities.

Just now, Glen-i said:

I mean, it has online capabilities.

Lol yeah, "stamps to express your personality". Do I look like a philatelist?

16 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Lol yeah, "stamps to express your personality". Do I look like a philatelist?

Clearly never played Tri Force Heroes.

• Haha 1

Watched the Treehouse while making breakfast earlier (how did people watch 3 hours of that?) and it got me right in the nostalgia to play it, but voiceless online just ain't the same. 

And this is more a criticism of my lack of a social sphere where I am rather than anything else. 

Out of the hundreds of 1V3 games the numbered games have, you chose to bring back that one!?

brooklyn-nine-nine-terry-jeffords.gif

If your Joycons aren't drifting, they damn well will after a few games here!

I hope you don't need to click the stick in this game. Because I'm totes using a Gamecube controller for this now.

Whelp! So much for that being the excuse to not re-release Mario Party 1…

Can we finally have MP1 & MP3 on N64 NSO now?

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Out of the hundreds of 1V3 games the numbered games have, you chose to bring back that one!?

brooklyn-nine-nine-terry-jeffords.gif

If your Joycons aren't drifting, they damn well will after a few games here!

I hope you don't need to click the stick in this game. Because I'm totes using a Gamecube controller for this now.

Yeah… I think we’re gonna need a gentleman’s agreement here.  Unless you’re using GameCube controllers? Your controllers are gonna get destroyed :laughing:

• Haha 1

Launch trailer:

Reviews:

IGN – 8 / 10
GameSpot – 6 / 10
Game Informer – 8 / 10
Metro – 8 / 10
Gamereactor – 8 / 10
GameXplain – “Loved”

If you're going into this wanting a robust single player experience, reconsider.

If you're planning to play with friends or online, then it's a riot. Even if commits the cardinal sin of making Boo unplayable! (Still angry about that)

Played a couple of games with @Dcubed and @Ugh first aid. Hilarity didn't take long to show up.

What's cool is that even though we used my account to play, any coins, achievements and records got by the other two got sent to their file! Even though they hadn't booted up the game on their account yet! Wish more multiplayer games did that.

That said, the coin economy is kinda wack. Items are pretty damn cheap. Battle games (called versus games in this entry) are also hilarious! First of all, it's actually quite easy for the person who landed on that space to time the roulette and choose how many coins everyone has to bet. Secondly, whoever comes in first basically gets 80% of the pot! Cue me getting 94 of the 120 coins!

@Dcubed had 300 coins at one point in the second game! He did almost lose though. (Damn you Bonus Stars! I was robbed!) Because of this, I don't actually recommend selecting the "Classic" Bonus Stars option. It's far too lopsided towards the person who won the most minigames, basically giving 2 stars to them at the end.

Because of these ridiculous versus games, and the chance for a minigame to be worth double coins (Double Bonus game is just stupid!), it's very easy to be drowning in money!

Oh, and I love the Tri Force Heroes style stickers. They're great!

• Thanks 1

Me and @Glen-i @Ugh first aid were up all night playing this and it's AWESOME! :D

I'll leave it to @Glen-i to do the big write up because I am lazy, but needless to say? I'm pretty dang happy with it so far! It's certainly no replacement for the classic N64 games, but it's a very fun reinterpretation of some of its classic boards, with some neat mechanical changes here and there; and the minigame remakes (a large chunk of which are based on their Mario Party Top 100 renditions), are top shelf stuff.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1