NEurope

1 hour ago, MindFreak said:

Yes. Bar Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (a remake), this is actually the first Nintendo game I've got since Paper Mario: The Origami King (July 2020!). 

Similar story here but in my case it was Pokemon Sword... back in 2019. Almost two years since then and that was previously the last boxed Switch game I'd bought. Things changed only this year when I got Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair last month and now followed by this. Pandemic definitely had an effect on Nintendo's release schedule.

I don't think I'll be leaving that long a gap anytime soon.

Started Hard Mode today and got to the 2nd area, easier than the first time round having timings down.

This is a real joy to play, it's just so fluid and fun to run around. The only thing is the swinging is pretty clunky, but otherwise :heart:

The EMMI rooms are genuinely scary.

Edited by Ronnie

So an hour and a half and I don’t know how many retries I just beat the final boss.

Spoiler

Damn that final boss fight was both frustrating and awesome. It took me a few tries to get the first phase down but I was soon kicking his butt there and those little cutscene parts I just blasted him with missiles. Phase two constantly kicked my butt though, I just couldn’t get the right timing to getting out the way of some attacks, I was getting the hang of the 360 machine gun thing, but it was when he shot across the stage, later I managed to just start jumping around and that sorted that out, but I think it still took me abbé 5 or 6 attempts until I reach the final phase. Luckily this to me seemed the easiest, might have been cause that giant ball of sun thing gave loads of life back when blown up with a super bomb, I managed to keep out his way mostly and finished him off first time, I still don’t know what the final blow was but it seemed like it may have been a simple shot with the arm cannon. 😆 

I hoped it was over, but worried that there might have been more to the fight, luckily the cutscene saved me. Then of course that little after boss fight fight, I actually died first time as I didn’t know what I was doing, wasn’t clear to just hold Y and blast his head off. Then of course the good old run away from the exploding section that ends a few games. Fun, thought I got lost but got out. (Can I get that cannon please, holy hell what a blaster).

So finished with 78% items (207 missiles, 11 super bombs and 10 energy cells) as I had gone back before the fight to get loads and clocked in at 15 hours. I think I’ll be going back to explore the rest and get as close to 100% as I can, I know some of the shinespark puzzles are tricky. 
Really enjoyed the game, not the biggest of Metroid fans, don’t think I ever completed the NES and SNES games, never beat Prime 2 nor 3. But I have beaten the GBA/DS remakes, (whatever they were on).

Great game, thoroughly enjoyed it, even when the bosses gave me grief.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ronnie said:

This is a real joy to play, it's just so fluid and fun to run around. The only thing is the swinging is pretty clunky, but otherwise :heart:

Never got that to work for me. Was fearing a plethora of swinging puzzles after meeting the first place that had swingen sections. 

On 18/10/2021 at 9:50 PM, Mokong said:

Ok I think I've hit my hard mode wall around mid game.

can't climb it (Reveal hidden contents)

The first Chozo Robot Warrior Boss, after you meat Quite Robe.

He kills me in 3 hits ffs. :'(

Wohoo I finally got past it.

I decided to back track a bit, do some other things. Realised I could back track more than I thought I could, picked up a bunch of upgrades, was hoping for some energy tanks but all missle upgrades :p

When couldn't backtrack further went back to the boss with a calmer mind and beat him on that first go when go back :)

The Hard mode adventure can continue.

• Like 1

Just beat and 100%'d this. What a fantastic game. Absolutely brilliant, I had a great time. 

On 20/10/2021 at 7:46 PM, BowserBasher said:
Spoiler

that giant ball of sun thing gave loads of life back when blown up with a super bomb

what. :cry::cry:

Edited by Ronnie
  • Haha 2

Been doing some more tonight, up to 91% with just Burenia (88%) and Artaria (72%) to do. Noticed that the ones I need to do are possibly hiding entire rooms, I found that out in Dairon by the elevator to Artaria, a whole section I didn’t know was there. So it’s off to check the last two areas, I can get this 100% and that will be some achievement for me in a Metroid game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Taking a week off from this before I go back and start speed running it (not bothered about hard mode) - I’m fairly confident I can get sub 4 hours. The fact there’s already a sub-1:30 out there is madness.

• Like 1

It is done. There’s clearly rooms in the game that you can totally miss just playing normally, are are just there to hide energy tanks and missile upgrades. 
Spoiler tagging some of the shinespark puzzles I’ve done just in case. 

Spoiler

Great game and addition to the series. I’ve never 100% a Metroid game before so this is an even greater achievement for me. I don’t know if I’ll get the sub 4 hour ending time for whatever that gets you, but I can see playing this again (I want to try to do the early bombs and grapple beam for the secret Kraid kill)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I finished this earlier. 
Bloody amazing game. 
Im not going to 100% it I don’t think. I may have a little blast through again tonight and just go through some old areas to see if I can pick any upgrades up. 
But I’ll likely just trade it in and move onto the next game.

GOTY for sure for me. 

Edited by Aneres11
  • Like 4

Rarely do I 100% a game and immediately want to jump back in and keep playing but this has definitely done that for me. 

From what I’ve read online it sounds like they really stuck the ending too which is hard to do these days.

• Like 1

I actually didn’t want the game to end. 
And that’s rare for me these days. I have that little time to game at the moment that I’m often wanting a game to finish so I can start something else. 
But I’d have happily carried on with new areas here. Just an absolute joy to play. 

Also the perfect game for the OLED Switch. 

• Like 2

Almost done with Hard Mode. Was hoping to get a sub 8 hour time but just beat the 2nd last EMMI (Purple) and at 7 hours 58mins so won't be going sub 8hours this time :p

I tried to not back track too much for items, but I just couldn't help it :p

• Like 2

And that is Hard Mode done.

Once I knew I wasn't gonna get a sub 8 hour time I decided I should go for the 100% items, so backtracked for anything missed before going to final boss.

Considering how long it took me to beat him on normal mode I was expecting a harder fight and the first few attempts felt like it. Especially since I had forgotten his attack patterns.

After about 5 attempts gave it a rest as wanted to watch some TV with the wife. But when that was over said would give it one more go and beat him there. Again a break to clear the head does wonders sometimes haha.

Surprisingly I only took two hits in his whole second phase too. :)

Wanna try go for a sub 4 hour run, but I reckon that would be a normal mode run. I imagine to get a time like that would a low item run as you'd want to only move forward, no detours for items.

Reckon I could def manage a sub 8 hour run on Hard though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is the sub 4 hour ending or reward much different? I’m not sure if I’d ever be able to get that kind of time. 

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Is the sub 4 hour ending or reward much different? I’m not sure if I’d ever be able to get that kind of time. 

I'm going by previous Metroid knowledge here, but probably not. You'll likely just get a different ending picture.

It's purely for the challenge.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

It's just a different picture unlocked in the gallery like an achievement. There's different ones for Normal and Hard mode for both sub 4 and sub 8.

It just a challenge

• Thanks 1

Bought the Collector's Edition for this one, and I am not dissapointed, but man....I gotta say....

Mercury Steam needs a better composer on their team.

It's just .... atmospheric, which is fine, but after Hollow Knight....god damn. Can't go back after Chrisopher Larkin's angel jizz in my ear.

My hopes are high for the OST of Metroid Prime 4.

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Fused King said:

Bought the Collector's Edition for this one, and I am not dissapointed, but man....I gotta say....

Mercury Steam needs a better composer on their team.

It's just .... atmospheric, which is fine, but after Hollow Knight....god damn. Can't go back after Chrisopher Larkin's angel jizz in my ear.

My hopes are high for the OST of Metroid Prime 4.

According to the credits Kenji Yamamoto was the Music Director for this game. I also heard one of the composers from Breath of the Wild worked on this game.

content-4-36575-metroiddreadupdatebanner.jpg

Metroid Dread update (version 1.0.1) is out now

Now up on the main page.

Patch notes.

- - - - -

• Like 1

Been playing this for a bit today 'cause I'm on sick leave.

Not sure what to think.

Those E.M.M.I. sections are...counterproductive? They don't work with the Metroid formula, which is: plan your way through some sections, follow that plan and maybe explore a bit. Within the E.M.M.I. sections this doesn't hold. You wait until the robot passes or you get caught and have to do a QTE and either run away or do that part again. 
It got old...well, immediately after the first time.

It's a shame that these sections appear to be quite large. Granted, I'm only in the second area but I'm already annoyed.

Other than that, the game's fine. It's Metroid alright. Nothing groundbreaking but what's there is ok.

• Haha 1

Ok I just discovered it is possible to beat some bosses with the Shinespark...how did I never think of this!

Think I will be going back in to try for a sub 8 hour run on Hard soon