NEurope

I’ve seen so much discourse on social media about the game not being worth its price, obviously from fanboys who haven’t even played it, so I’ll be sharing this on posts I come across… :laughing:

Spoiler

• Haha 2

Reading gamers opinions on social media is always a depressing affair. Apart from anyone here obv.

• Like 2

A rising tide raises all ships: Metroid is crushing it on the Wii U Virtual Console! 

• Like 5

Think I’m getting closer to the end, or at least two thirds though. 

Spoiler

So I’ve just got the scan-y item and double jump item, and ice rockets. 
Game feels so much more fun when you have all the upgrades back. Still loving the game, finding the double jump a bit awkward to get the time right (or maybe it was just at the start, but had a lot of trouble getting it at first)

had these amazing moments against an E.M.M.I

Think I have a little bit to do as I guess I need a Gravity Suit, Super Bombs and maybe something to let me in the cold areas. 

• Like 3

As I get further and further into this game is becoming quite apparent that it’s GOTY worthy!

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 9:29 PM, BowserBasher said:

Think I’m getting closer to the end, or at least two thirds though. 

Thoughts (Hide contents)

So I’ve just got the scan-y item and double jump item, and ice rockets. 
Game feels so much more fun when you have all the upgrades back. Still loving the game, finding the double jump a bit awkward to get the time right (or maybe it was just at the start, but had a lot of trouble getting it at first)

had these amazing moments against an E.M.M.I

Think I have a little bit to do as I guess I need a Gravity Suit, Super Bombs and maybe something to let me in the cold areas. 

You still got a good bit to go :)

That double counter is a thing of beauty btw.

I've just restarted on Hard Mode.

Not noticed much difference so far other than the enemies hit harder and take more health. Some like the big pink crab thing can one shot ya at start which was a surprise.

Just beat the first boss, took me a few more tries than I thought it would. I'd say he def took more hits to take down but he also hits a good bit harder too. And cause I just came from finishing the game on Normal my mind is still adjusting to not having all upgrades anymore and I kept jumping into him thinking I could double jump :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had a marathon of a session today and I now have all the powerups. Going to explore ZDR a bit to try and get all the upgrades before making my way to the final boss before I think of taking on the final boss.

Spoiler

Well, that last Emmi was an anticlimax! Samus can now absorb energy like a Metroid eh?

I think I'm about halfway through now. Just left the Elun-area. I must say that even though this is good, there is not really much new here, is there? You get the same upgrades as always and sure, new enemies, but you just shoot them, no questions. Counter is somewhat new but that was implemented in Samus Returns. Then there's the story - or whatever. It's not that good. I appreciate that they explore the lore, that's great, but the story itself could be more captivating.

As I see it, this is a good game but there are better games in the same genre out there. Since Hollow Knight, it seems like the Metroidvania genre has been pushed and I don't think Metroid itself has been able to follow suit.

However, it's still a good game and I enjoy playing it very much.

Managed to get my hands on all the upgrades so I’m at 100% now. Some of the Shinespark ones were ridiculous, especially this one…

Another one gave me a lot of trouble as well, but I forgot to record it. It involved doing lots of wall jumps while in boost mode. Major elation when I finally got it :D

Had a go on the final boss and still got my arse handed to me. Will try again later when I’ve got more time. 

Big in Japan! 

I think the hope would be that Nintendo reacts somewhat to the sales of Dread and how it's also revived purchases on the Wii U. Get those GBA games on the Switch so I don't have to go buy a Wii U, and maybe bring Samus Returns over to the Switch too. 

But this is Nintendo, so... anniversary pin set when? :p

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Btw, I'm not the only one hoping for Samus Returns to be ported to Switch now, am I?

No, you're not.

That said, I prefer the Game Boy version, so I'd rather have that.

So how good would people say this is? I've never been the most massive fan of Metroid 2D games because of the amount of backtracking there tended to be, but I saw a bit of the Easy Allies review and it did look quite interesting.

• Like 1

To piggyback off of @Sheikah's question, for those who have played the game, is this a good jumping in point for someone new to Metroid? Or would you recommend checking out the other 2D Metroid games first, then getting to this? I'm in no rush, and plan to get those games anyways, but with this being touted by many as a GOTY contender, it's very hard to ignore! 

I ask as I know Nintendo generally isn't heavy on story in their games, but this is the fifth entry, and they've been screaming from the top of their lungs since it was revealed at E3 that it's the end of the story being told. I think I remember reading that this has a recap at the start of the game, but not sure how much that covers, and have to imagine it might outright spoil some things from those earlier games? 

If you have Nintendo Switch Online, try Super Metroid if you haven't already, if you have, then check out Metroid Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion on the GBA or VC.

Metroid Fusion in particular seems to have a lot in common with Metroid Dread, also, you'll get more of the backstory.

If you've played most Metroid games which have come before this, then yes, I would recommend Metroid Dread, and that's just from only briefly playing it.

I also think that Metroid: Samus Returns could benefit from a Switch port, with improved movement using the Metroid Dread engine, as it presumably has improvements from the one used in Mercury Steam's first Metroid title, plus the counter-rate could be adjusted, and the biggest gripe, the circle pad controls would be alleviated by having it on the Switch.

It's still not a perfect remake, though it's an admirable take on the second game in the  series, but then, so is AM2R... and there is still a lot to be said for the original Game Boy game, even though it has clearly benefitted from having two remakes, one official, one not official, which both get a lot of things right.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Julius said:

To piggyback off of @Sheikah's question, for those who have played the game, is this a good jumping in point for someone new to Metroid? Or would you recommend checking out the other 2D Metroid games first, then getting to this? I'm in no rush, and plan to get those games anyways, but with this being touted by many as a GOTY contender, it's very hard to ignore!

Nope. Absolutely not. It's more difficult then the average Metroid game. And it's "Metroid 5", you're probably expected to know some things about the 4 2D games before hand.

Play Super Metroid before hand. It's easily available on Switch.

But if you can, play Zero Mission first. That's the best "My first Metroid".

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Julius said:

I ask as I know Nintendo generally isn't heavy on story in their games, but this is the fifth entry, and they've been screaming from the top of their lungs since it was revealed at E3 that it's the end of the story being told. I think I remember reading that this has a recap at the start of the game, but not sure how much that covers, and have to imagine it might outright spoil some things from those earlier games? 

I played Metroid on the NES 30 or so years ago, but haven't touched any of the others since, and I'm playing and loving this. It gives you a recap of the story at the beginning. 

I'd say play Fusion as a minimum as this is a direct continuation of the story. Fusion had quite a large impact on the story.

Zero Mission is a good "My First Metroid" as stated.

Only the Prime games are backtrack-y, the 2D games are usually good at leading you were you need to go.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sheikah said:

So how good would people say this is? I've never been the most massive fan of Metroid 2D games because of the amount of backtracking there tended to be, but I saw a bit of the Easy Allies review and it did look quite interesting.

@Julius To piggyback off of @Sheikah's question, for those who have played the game, is this a good jumping in point for someone new to Metroid? Or would you recommend checking out the other 2D Metroid games first, then getting to this? I'm in no rush, and plan to get those games anyways, but with this being touted by many as a GOTY contender, it's very hard to ignore! 

I wouldn't really recommend starting with Dread; since it is one of the hardest games in the series.  That, and it's the last story entry in the mainline series; so you won't get as much out of it as you would if you had played the others first.

I mean, sure, you can play Dread first; but I think you'd enjoy it more having played the previous games beforehand.

Funnily enough, I was just talking yesterday with a friend of mine about this very topic and this is the recommended order of playing through the Metroid games that I came up with, quoted verbatum...

Super Metroid (Metroid 3)
Metroid Fusion (Metroid 4)
Metroid 2: Return of Samus (Metroid 2)
Metroid Zero Mission (Metroid 1 re-telling)
Metroid NES (Metroid 1)
Metroid: Samus Returns (Metroid 2 re-telling)
Metroid Dread (Metroid 5)

I’d pick that order because I feel that Metroid NES is too hard for newcomers, while Metroid 2 is not really representative of the series as a whole (despite being a great game in its own right).

Super is the best introduction to the series really (and it catches you up with the story from Metroid 1&2 at the start anyway).

Playing Metroid 2 after Metroid Fusion will also give you more of an appreciation for what you see and do in Fusion as well (as the two share quite a few links).

Zero Mission also assumes some familiarity with the series (and it has some pretty awesome bits that specifically tie into Super that are really meant to be experienced after you’ve already played Super)

Metroid: Samus Returns re-imagines Metroid 2 in a form that’s much more similar to Super; it’s a remarkably different game from the GB original.

Metroid Prime 1-3 are side stories that take place in between Metroid 1 & 2 BTW.  They don’t really tie into the mainline story all that much and are kind of their own thing.  Just play the Prime games in release order.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The hard parts of this... I just don't think they're right. I get that it's the type of game that's meant to be difficult, and I don't might a tricky fight but... it's just not balanced right, in my opinion. Everything that's "difficult" hinges on having to start again over and over, instead of having a moment to learn the right thing to do. I think this has come down to the vastly increased pace, which is a good thing, but I don't think the amount of damage you take per hit has been changed to reflect this.

I also struggle a lot to do some of the controls, especially the things on the triggers, and hitting down when you run. Wall jumps regularly not connecting and sometimes for no apparent reason a jump not becoming a flip.... I can't really understand why it's not an option to have movement on the D-pad. This might just be because I've not played Switch for a long time and gotten used to other controllers than the Pro.

This is a good game, and a good Metroid game, there's a lot to love about it. But I think it's got some really bad segments and I don't quite agree with the very high ratings it's getting. I'd rank it way below Super, Fusion and Zero Mission I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d recommend playing through the others first, at least Zero Mission, Super & Fusion.

I’ve collected all power-ups now and only need to go to the last battle and even though I’ve not quite finished, as far as rating the game, it’s my GOTY without doubt and stands alongside Super at the top of the 2D games in the series!

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Sheikah said:

If by "backtracking", you mean Super Metroid's version of it (where you'll need to re-explore a bit, check the map and such), then that shouldn't be too bothersome here. Dread is clearer about where you need to go, usually.

If you mean Metroid Fusion's version of it ("go to the place I marked on your map!, then come back!, then to the other place I marked!"), then there shouldn't be any of it at all.

Either way, this game is considerably faster paced than previous entries (which includes general movement), so take that into account on whether that would help with backtracking issues.

4 hours ago, Julius said:

I think Dread's plot works fine for newcomers, and it is good at recapping the essential bits. But you'll get more out of it if you play the previous entries (Super and Fusion, mostly). There's also the fact that specific twists and outcomes from those games will be spoiled here (they kinda have to be).

Gameplay-wise, Dread's fine for newcomers, nevermind the comments about difficulty, playing the previous ones won't help the issue, anyway :heh:

If you do start with a previous entry, I highly recommend Super Metroid. Excellent jumping-on point, excellent game, and it is more readily available on the NSO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Got about 5 hours in, and this just oozes quality - really loving it. One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is the physical characterisation of Samus - casually charging the beam when a boss appears, or standing shoulders back, and the way she ‘relaxes’ in one particular cutscene (you’ll know it when you see it) - I really feel the human behind the suit. Top, top stuff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just watching the credits roll… that last boss fight and lore dump is *chef’s kiss*

Absolutely my GOTY!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1