NEurope

10 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Pretty much what I expected from the Treehouse demonstration, then.

I don't know, the heavy focus on stealth and the harsh punishment for getting caught is just making me very apathetic towards this game.

I wouldn't call it harsh at all.

If it sent you back to your last save station that would harsh.

You're likely not gonna find any power ups while avoiding/running from an EMMI that you would have to try get again if you died.

I don't think I've found any power ups during those times actually.

And any time I've been caught it wasn't far from the check point time wise. It just becomes a bit of trial and error trying to figure out what path you should be taking if you don't luck into it before getting caught.

I've not been having any issues with it anyway :)

16 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

the harsh punishment for getting caught

From everything I've read it's not harsh at all, the checkpoint system is apparently really generous.

Not that I would know, f-in royal mail

• Like 1

Just now, Ronnie said:

From everything I've read it's not harsh at all, the checkpoint system is apparently really generous.

Not that I would know, f-in royal mail

The checkpoint system was quite generous in Samus Returns as well.

I still absolutely despised that Diggernaut chase. Absolutely awful section. Instant death in games with some kind of health bar is a cardinal sin as far as I'm concerned.

16 hours ago, S.C.G said:

I just got both notifications as well.

Nintendo Store for the Special Edition.

Currys for the bargain-priced standard copy.

Tomorrow will surely be a Dreadful Friday. :peace:

Plot twist - both deliveries should be arriving by the same courier, so I'll likely be checking the game out this evening, good to know though.

I hope everyone is enjoying the game who has it already, if you've had the chance to play it. :smile:

Launch trailer:

Just got the game for review purpose. Looking forward to playing it! However, Nintendo put out this video yesterday:

and I realised that I haven't played a single 2D Metroid game before. That's actually pretty crazy.

• Thanks 2

Just got the special edition of this delivered, thought it was going to be normal Switch game size in a slightly thicker steel case or something...

Instead its the size of a fat A4 folder!! :laughing:

Size comparison...

Sr3egsK.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Kav said:

Mine has been stuck at the “ready for shipping” status since Monday, but it’s not with the courier (Royal Mail) still. :cry:

Finally got the shipping notification… expected to arrive tomorrow AM!

content-4-36566-switcholedandmetroiddreadlaunchbanner.jpg

Nintendo Switch OLED and Metroid Dread are out now

Now up on the main page.

Full press release and all relevant videos. :peace:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Shorty said:

Just got the special edition of this delivered, thought it was going to be normal Switch game size in a slightly thicker steel case or something...

Instead its the size of a fat A4 folder!! :laughing:

Size comparison...

Sr3egsK.jpeg

I love that the game is in a bigger box than the Switch OLED Model. 
It really is a nice special edition. Just had a flick through the art book. 191 pages and lots to look at. It looks very impressive. 

The postcards in mine were a little warped/bent, anyone elses like that? Not that bothered but it was a bit weird.

3 hours ago, Ike said:

The postcards in mine were a little warped/bent, anyone elses like that? Not that bothered but it was a bit weird.

Mine are slightly bent too but nothing to complain about. 

Been playing a few hours and I’m getting both frustrated and loving the game. 

Spoiler

So I’ve got the charge beam and spider magnet and defeated the second E.M.M.I but now seem to be stuck on which way to get back  as nothing else in the lower part seems doable  I can go in the cold section but can’t do much in there  I’m sure I must have acquired the morph ball function  by now as there’s lots of small openings I can’t get into  

this is what frustrates me about these Metroid games  backtracking and just getting stuck  

I am; enjoying what I have played so far as it’s satisfying which you defeat an E.M.M.I

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

Why is the text on the back of the box so tiny?

Metroid’s triumphant return ruined. :laughing:

I thought I'd be the first to post impressions, but it seems BowserBasher beat me to the punch.

Ah well, I never was much of a speedrunner!

Spoiler

Spent some time getting used to the controls. I never played the 3DS game, you see. My counter move is still clunky, but I've used it on some cool takedowns, it's good that it's somewhat versatile.

As for the game...Loving it. It looks and plays so polished! And the plot never really bogs down the game, the pace is really smooth.

The EMMI segments play more like a horror game than a stealth game. It's better this way, when Samus runs so fast. And they've been really tense, evading an EMMI by the skin of your teeth with a well timed wall jump is extremely satisfying.

The first big boss Corpius was cool for a warm-up boss. Something exhilarating about dodging tail swipes at that height. And the sequence you get when you counter properly was pretty dang cool as well (and maybe not new if you played Other M or Samus Returns..?)

I'm intrigued by that mini-brain sub-boss, though. That... was a small Mother Brain, right? It had to be. I'm totally blind on the plot, and it's exciting!

Finally, the items have been really unexpected. Spider Magnet is pretty new. The Charge Beam powers up your jump? And it's been two hours and not a single whiff of the Morph Ball! What are you doing, Dread!?

This game is hitting all the right spots.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Metroid’s triumphant return ruined. :laughing:

She may have a visor to help but some of us have normal human eyesight. 

But from an accessibility perspective the back of the box is terrible. 

• Thanks 1

Man some of the later bosses are just unforgiving, some (most) you just need to be on your toes and be timed perfectly to avoid damage. But thankfully it still manages to be fun. Dying and having to try again a bunch of times on some bosses, think one beat some of the early ones on first encounter.

There was one though that nearly broke me, just couldn't get past it and kept getting hit. Was probably stuck on it an hour. Felt so good when finally beat the bugger.

Spoiler

Escue, bloody insect with it stupid projectiles that block missles and it stupid frakking energy shield....gggaaaaa

Have the Gravity Suit and Screw Attack at last and a bunch of the map opened up now. For a the last while I felt like it was getting very linear, but now I'm just exploring areas I couldn't get to before and I'm either not sure where the way forward is now anyway...or I've forgotten :D

Got it, put it on to create a save file and have a quick “feel” of the game (I didn’t play Samus Returns).

It’s smooth like butter!

Although I’d like to be able to customise the controls… is there any way to do so at all?

29 minutes ago, Kav said:

Got it, put it on to create a save file and have a quick “feel” of the game (I didn’t play Samus Returns).

It’s smooth like butter!

Although I’d like to be able to customise the controls… is there any way to do so at all?

Just the universal button remapping the Switch has I think. 

• Weird 1

Eeeee it arrived today!

First impressions: I loved the intro and the music. The EMMI were annoying to begin with but got used to them now. On the first boss now (or maybe second depending on how you look at it)

Spoiler

So I’ve put this in a spoiler window because I don’t want to upset people. But can you imagine this game in 1080p or even 2160p? It’d look beautiful.

39 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Just the universal button remapping the Switch has I think. 

Cheers.

I don’t get why games sometimes don’t include customisable controls.

Ok I've realised I am not gonna 100% Items this game. Come across a few things behind Speed Blocks and there is no clear run up before them.

I spent ages trying to figure one out and said I'd try check if anyone has it on Youtube yet. Sure enough found it....the amount of calculations and reflexes required to pull that shit off you would need the computer to be controlling Samus for you.

Anyone who pulls those off you are not human, fair play, haha

Also I've found about 5 or 6 Power Bomb upgrades already but have not unlocked the Power Bomb ability yet. Whenever I find one the game is like "you've upgraded something but we don't know what yet".

I've just reached the second location in the game now. 

I'm really enjoying this. It's a joy to play and it looks amazing on the OLED screen. Can see why they launched them the same day as it is a great showcase for it. 

The seamless transition from gameplay to cut scene has also been pretty impressive. 

I've died a fair bit. But often it's down to my lack of reflex, or panic haha as it is a bit of panicky game in parts. 

So far though, liking it a lot. Having a break with Monkey Ball now then will dip back in later!

12 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

The seamless transition from gameplay to cut scene has also been pretty impressive.

This is something that Other M started and I'm glad they're still carrying on with that idea with the Mercury Steam titles.

Samus Returns does it a lot too, and it's really cool.

More games need to do this. Funnily enough, I'm playing Final Fantasy XIII for the first time and this does a similar thing as well. Normally with bosses when they do their menacing pose/roar and the camera slowly pans towards the 3 characters you're using and the HUD just slides in from off-screen as gameplay resumes.

Makes me smile every time.

Edited by Glen-i