NEurope

7 hours ago, Dcubed said:

"A checkpoint where you can restart from is always nearby, though, which should be helpful in case something goes sideways and Samus is captured."

Guaranteed to go sideways as it's a 2D game. 

• Haha 6
  • Weird 1

Been playing some Metroidvanias to get ready for this game. Completed Gato Roboto maybe 2 weeks ago. Now I've moved onto Axiom Verge.

• Like 1

Wonder how long this game will be? Seeing as most 2D Metroids can be finished to 100% in 10-15 hours and even less if you’re any good. Do you think this will be the same or do you reckon it’ll provide more of an expansive 25-30 hour adventure.

Hoping for the latter, but expecting the former. 

Eh, Metroid kinda prides itself on providing fun games to speedrun (Except Metroid Prime, but those are much slower paced). So don't expect a lengthy game.

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Eh, Metroid kinda prides itself on providing fun games to speedrun (Except Metroid Prime, but those are much slower paced). So don't expect a lengthy game.

Samus Returns was absurdly long for a 2D Metroid; the best ending requires you to beat it within a whopping 4 hours! (Most other Metroid require sub 2 or 3 hour completion for the best ending).

Samus Returns is too long for a 2D Metroid, but I suspect that Dread will have a similar running time… Hopefully it’ll justify the extended length better than SR did.

Edited by Dcubed

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Samus Returns was absurdly long for a 2D Metroid; the best ending requires you to beat it within a whopping 4 hours! (Most other Metroid require sub 2 or 3 hour completion for the best ending).

Samus Returns is too long for a 2D Metroid, but I suspect that Dread will have a similar running time… Hopefully it’ll justify the extended length better than SR did.

I totally agree, that game outstayed it's welcome, and is likely why I'm not exactly keen on playing through it again.

The shorter the better for Metroid games as far as I'm concerned. The best are those that are so short they don't exist. :D 

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

The shorter the better for Metroid games as far as I'm concerned. The best are those that are so short they don't exist. :D 

That Super Metroid cartridge you sold me for £2 lost the data right before the end and I effectively had to play through it twice in succession.. in your honour!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, nekunando said:

That Super Metroid cartridge you sold me for £2 lost the data right before the end and I effectively had to play through it twice in succession.. in your honour!

You were had.

The chocolate and 5-alive that came from that £2 provided more enjoyment than Super Metroid ever did!

• Haha 3

3. 35 years of history

To date, the history of the Metroid series spans 35 years, beginning with the original Metroid released in 1986 for the Family Computer Disk System in Japan. The game would later release in North America and Europe for the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1987 and 1988, respectively.

The original game kicked off the story arc of what is commonly referred to as the '2D Metroid series', which tells the tale of the uncanny, intertwined fates of Samus Aran and the Metroids. Other games followed to continue the story, with Metroid Dread concluding this story arc.

SQ_NES_Metroid.jpg

Metroid (JP: 1986 / EU: 1988)
The original Metroid game tells the story of a battle that takes place between Samus and the Space Pirates on the planet Zebes. Later, this game would be remade and expanded on as Metroid: Zero Mission for the Game Boy Advance.

The original NES game can be played on Nintendo Switch via the Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online app*.

SQ_GB_MetroidIIReturnOfSamus.jpg

Metroid II (1992)

Samus is sent by the Galactic Federation to eradicate the dangerous Metroids found on planet SR388. She returns from her mission with the imprinted Metroid hatchling. This entry was later remade and expanded on with Metroid: Samus Returns for Nintendo 3DS family systems.

SQ_SNES_SuperMetroid.jpg

Super Metroid (1994)

The Space Pirates return to steal the Metroid hatchling for their own nefarious purposes. Samus must again travel to planet Zebes to retrieve the hatchling and put an end to the Space Pirate threat.

Super Metroid is available to play on Nintendo Switch via the Super Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online app*.

SQ_GBA_MetroidFusion.jpg

Metroid Fusion (2002)

Aboard the orbiting Biologic Space Laboratories (B.S.L.) station, Samus battles the terrifying X – a parasitic life form capable of overtaking organic creatures and mimicking their hosts completely based on their genetic information. Lurking around the station is a deadly mimic of Samus at full strength: the SA-X.

35 years of Metroid acknowledged in report volume 3.
https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2021/July/Metroid-Dread-Report-Vol-3-Seven-points-that-define-the-2D-saga-2007780.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pre-Ordered the amiibo set with the My Nintendo Store as well.

It looks like they've got a decent amount of stock available... hours later and you can still buy them.

I'll keep the Game pre-order as well though, just in case.

• Like 1

There’s a new trailer out but it apparently spoils some later game items, so I’m not watching it…

Did spot this little tidbit nicked from the Japanese Dev Diary though…

image0.png

Metroid Zero Mission style sequence breaking you say!? Oh HELL yes!!! :D 

Oh hey, Nintendo remembered Metroid's 35th anniversary this year!

Speaking of the anniversary, I've just released a video to commemorate the occasion, it's another gaming diary/series retrospective.

• Like 1

Looks better and better with every trailer. I'm glad it looks to be a lot more than just EMMI chase scenarios.

content-4-36548-metroiddreadnewtrailerbanner.jpg

A new trailer for Metroid Dread reveals more gameplay and story details

Now up on the main page.

*Spoiler warning, the trailer reveals certain locations, encounters and story elements which you might not want to see before playing the game*

An excellent trailer though, there's also a press release in the article which has links to all the previously released material for the game.

- - - - -

Nope.  I ain’t going anywhere near that trailer.

Not quite sure why Nintendo seem so keen to spoil everything about this game before release, but I ain’t going near that trailer!