NEurope

I’m guessing they are trying to stop bots and scalpers. I was like 245 in the queue when I got in. Only waited a couple minutes for it to empty though. 

6 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Good luck finding it on the Nintendo UK store page when it does appear though!

So dumb that they removed the specific Amiibo section when they redesigned the site.

True, the redesign of the My Nintendo Store is not exactly brilliant, when ordering Metroid Dread Special Edition, the site claimed that you can use PayPal, then the only option available was Credit Card... the address form is broken, as you have to put in your address and then it will find the closest match which you have to accept as there's no way to change it, despite the option to 'edit' the address being present.

As for the amiibo section, it's a mess... there are 42 results, which presumably means that there are only listings for figures or cards which they are currently producing, and if you wanted to search for 'newly added' figures, you can't, as there isn't a filter for that, though the new figures are labeled as such at least.

My advice, for anyone who is planning on ordering from this site, is to have the amiibo section open, but also have another tab/browser open with a search for 'Metroid' as there are currently only three results, but that should change as soon as the figures are added, also, it'd be best to be already signed-in as well of course.

ShopTo might have been an option, but I haven't ordered from that site since they last redesigned their site, so I tend not to bother with them.

Anyway, regardless of whatever happens with these amiibo figures, I'm sure the game will be fantastic. :D

If it does turn out that not enough people can get hold of the figures who want them though, I think it would be a good move for Nintendo to make the bonuses which are attached to these two figures, work with some of the other Metroid themed figures, especially the Metroid: Samus Returns amiibo, seeing as they unlock basically the same thing, but in a different game.

• Thanks 1

Metroid Dread was the biggest surprise for me and I am so excited for it.  Metroid is my favourite game franchise.  Already got my pre-order in for the game and amiibo.  I ummed and ermmed over the special edition, but I have to remind myself they just end up in the loft now.

I do think it's weird that Nintendo are trying to say this is in anyway related to the original Metroid Dread from the 2000s.  I'd bet that MercurySteam suggested the name.  After Samus Returns, they seem to have a real love of the franchise and it's history.

There is only one negative I have about this, and I think it's already been mentioned in this thread, is that it pretty much means there won't ever be a 2D sprite based one ever again :sad: This 3D on a 2D plane is nice but I miss the sprite work of Super Metroid to Metroid Fusion so much.

I need to hear more of the soundtrack as that can make or break it.  The music of Metroid is so ingrained into me that I will sometimes just hum it without realising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ugh, I'm already seeing people complain about this being a full priced game.

1 hour ago, V. Amoleo said:

Metroid Dread was the biggest surprise for me and I am so excited for it.  Metroid is my favourite game franchise.  Already got my pre-order in for the game and amiibo.  I ummed and ermmed over the special edition, but I have to remind myself they just end up in the loft now.

I do think it's weird that Nintendo are trying to say this is in anyway related to the original Metroid Dread from the 2000s.  I'd bet that MercurySteam suggested the name.  After Samus Returns, they seem to have a real love of the franchise and it's history.

There is only one negative I have about this, and I think it's already been mentioned in this thread, is that it pretty much means there won't ever be a 2D sprite based one ever again :sad: This 3D on a 2D plane is nice but I miss the sprite work of Super Metroid to Metroid Fusion so much.

I need to hear more of the soundtrack as that can make or break it.  The music of Metroid is so ingrained into me that I will sometimes just hum it without realising.

This video has the music more noticeable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, S.C.G said:

As for the amiibo section, it's a mess... there are 42 results, which presumably means that there are only listings for figures or cards which they are currently producing, and if you wanted to search for 'newly added' figures, you can't, as there isn't a filter for that, though the new figures are labeled as such at least.

I had to return my Byleth Amiibo because it arrived damaged, the customer rep on the old site assured me there was stock for a replacement and it was on the site the day before the site change happened. It's not even listed on the new website. I got a refund, but I haven't gotten round to re-ordering one.

I wonder if they are still managed by the The Hut Group, the new site is running Shopify eCommerce platform.

On 17/06/2021 at 1:40 PM, darksnowman said:

Fusion is my personal fave (of the ones I've played).

Zero Mission clinches it for me, but I regularly replayed Zero Mission and Fusion. Think a replay before Dread launches is in order.

• Like 1

Alright then, seeing as I already have an account with them, I've put in a pre-order with Game, just in case. :smile:

I just checked, and one of the last times that I ordered from Game, was when Samus Returns was released, nearly four years ago...

I'm glad that Metroid Dread turned out this way, with Mercury Steam co-developing the game, having previously proven just how well they know and love the series with Metroid: Samus Returns, I really don't see how Metroid 5 could end up being anything less than the follow-up to Metroid Fusion which many have waited so long for. :peace:

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Ike said:

Zero Mission clinches it for me, but I regularly replayed Zero Mission and Fusion. Think a replay before Dread launches is in order.

Both are top tier games and much better than Super Metroid, IMO. The pacing of both is spot on.

18 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

I'm glad that Metroid Dread turned out this way, with Mercury Steam co-developing the game, having previously proven just how well they know and love the series with Metroid: Samus Returns, I really don't see how Metroid 5 could end up being anything less than the follow-up to Metroid Fusion which many have waited so long for. :peace:

Metroid: Samus Returns was a great game. Mercury Steam really had a good handle on what makes a good 2D Metroid. Saying that, I was also a fan of what they done with Castlevania: Mirror of Fate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Julius said:

Amiibo are now up over at ShopTo for £29.85! Link

@BowserBasher @Dcubed @S.C.G not sure if you were waiting for the Nintendo store specifically, but figured I'd tag you just I'm case you're cool with ShopTo and can get there in time :smile:

Sigh... Missed it again.

Whelp.  2/3 missed.  One more miss and it’s Strike, I’m out.

Come on Nintendo Store! Don’t let me down!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ike said:

Admittedly, I don't have Zero Mish, but I prefer the Fusion Suit to the Zero Suit so Fusion still gets the nod from me. :p 

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Metroid: Samus Returns was a great game. Mercury Steam really had a good handle on what makes a good 2D Metroid. Saying that, I was also a fan of what they done with Castlevania: Mirror of Fate. 

The truest Metroidvania (or should that be Castletroid based on the order they worked on these series?) developer around. 

5 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

The truest Metroidvania (or should that be Castletroid based on the order they worked on these series?) developer around. 

You wouldn't want those when you have to sit down.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Glen-i said:

You wouldn't want those when you have to sit down.

It'd be dreadful. 

• Like 2

Special Edition is up on Amazon UK for those still looking (Zelda)

Still nothing yet on the Nintendo UK Store for the amiibo :blank:

20 minutes ago, Julius said:

image.jpg

• Haha 1

£80! For an artbook and some cards. Crazy pricing!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:
2 hours ago, Julius said:

£80! For an artbook and some cards. Crazy pricing!

Yeah, and don't forget the tin box. Utter madness.

3 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Yeah, and don't forget the tin box. Utter madness.

Tin box! What is this, 2009?

9 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Tin box! What is this, 2009?

Metroid's been out of the game for a while so... :laughing: 

Have noticed that both Zero Mission and Fusion are charting in the WiiU eShop, with Metroid Prime coming in 4th since Dread was revealed at E3.  Physical copies of Fusion, Zero Mission and Samus Returns are flying off virtual shelves, with prices for some being pretty high.

I think the love for Metroid is still there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Weird 1

4 hours ago, Jimbob said:

Have noticed that both Zero Mission and Fusion are charting in the WiiU eShop, with Metroid Prime coming in 4th since Dread was revealed at E3.  Physical copies of Fusion, Zero Mission and Samus Returns are flying off virtual shelves, with prices for some being pretty high.

I think the love for Metroid is still there.

Those Fisher-Price gamers are gonna be snookered without the Miiverse to bail them out.  :laughing:

Then by the time Dread comes to virtual and brick-and-mortar shelves, they will be thoroughly burned out on Metroid and it'll flop. ;) 

Dev Diary Vol 2 is out!

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2021/June/Metroid-Dread-Report-Vol-2-Researching-the-E-M-M-I--1997672.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=MetroidDread|Report2|o1|m_id_UKvry7ZHej|1997672|w27

Gives some details on how the EMMI work (with a pretty Metal Gear Solid esc Alert system in place).  A few noteworthy exerpts below...

"If caught by the E.M.M.I., you may still have a chance to escape – however slim it may be! Strike with a well-timed Melee Counter the instant the E.M.M.I. opens itself up to attack. However, this timed window of opportunity is so narrow you may consider it nearly impossible to successfully land a counter – so much so that you might want to avoid being put in this situation at all costs.

"A checkpoint where you can restart from is always nearby, though, which should be helpful in case something goes sideways and Samus is captured."

"The areas where you must contend with the E.M.M.I. threat are limited. It’s otherwise too stressful to have this kind of sustained tension!

"When you enter an E.M.M.I. Zone, your map registers the layout of the zone and the locations of the Zone Doors, which is helpful for making important decisions about where to go. Just remember: stay calm and check the map when you enter."

However, the packshot illustration shows seven shadows of E.M.M.I. behind Samus. It seems there are more kinds of E.M.M.I. out there!

CI_NSwitch_MetroidDread_Illustration.jpg

~Transmission from the dev team~

"Each of the E.M.M.I. have different abilities. What kinds of abilities, you may ask? Well, the E.M.M.I. hold countless mysteries...but we’ll save this one for another time."

• Like 1

Really excited for this. 

It’ll be interesting with so many amazing Metroidvanias released in the last 5-10 years how Nintendo can stack up. Unless I’m forgetting something it’s been a while since they made an original one. 

Saw on Twitter earlier it's 100 days until release too. Or I guess near enough 99 now.

15 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Really excited for this. 

It’ll be interesting with so many amazing Metroidvanias released in the last 5-10 years how Nintendo can stack up. Unless I’m forgetting something it’s been a while since they made an original one. 

Last completely original one was Metroid Other M in 2010.

That being said? Samus Returns is basically a completely brand new game, even though it uses the same story & setting/characters of the original Metroid 2 for Gameboy.  Just like how Zero Mission is basically a completely different game from the original NES Metroid.

Dread (AKA: Metroid 5) is the first true sequel within the Metroid timeline since Metroid Fusion (AKA: Metroid 4) though... which came out 19 years ago!!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1