NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope

Absolutely.  They should’ve waited until Switch 2; just like what Nintendo advised them to do.

Same console sequels nearly always sell significantly worse than their predecessors, no matter the budget increase.  The list of sequels that outsell their predecessors on the same console is vanishingly small.  Without new hardware/controller inputs, same console sequels just inherently lack the novelty their predecessor had, and they have less time on the market to sell too.

Well they've already said it will be coming out in one shape or another on Switch 2

Inspired by @Julius, who was inspired by My Life In Gaming, I made a few pledge lists for 2024. Here is my Switch list.

GGnYz4XXIAAfe5k?format=jpg&name=large

This game had been sitting on my shelf for a while now and I decided to tackle it first. After playing it over the past couple of weeks, my first pledge game is complete.

GGb0DNIbkAArisT?format=jpg&name=large

GGb0DNIbkAETA0Y?format=jpg&name=large

GGb0DMqbwAA8tFz?format=jpg&name=large

I'm still not sure if I enjoyed the game, which probably really answers that question. I loved the first game but this sequel just didn't hit the high notes that the original did.

I think a lot of my issues come from how big the levels are, both in and outside of battle. Trying to navigate some of the overworlds is a nightmare due to the size of them, especially when trying to find all the collectibles. There were so many times I could see items but just couldn't find a way to get to them. It was very frustrating.

The battles themselves seem to lack the tight, tactical gameplay which made the original so good. Instead, the team opted for more movement and larger arenas. This made some of the battles really drag on. Later levels were made even worse by this due to how many enemies were on screen. There were a few battles where I was sat waiting ages while the AI took its turn with all the enemies on screen. Even with the Fast Forward option always on it still took a while.

I will say that the narrative was better than the original game and I did find some of the writing to be quite funny at times but everything else seems weaker than what came before it.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this