NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope

I've had the final boss of a game spoiled on this very site, even though there was absolutely no reason to post a picture of it... even in spoiler tags (which had malfunctioned).

Surprisingly enough, it actually seems to be a general downgrade in terms of visuals/tech compared to the first game (same resolution but worse graphical quality and lower framerate); but the environmental scope is bigger.

Edited by Dcubed

9 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Surprisingly enough, it actually seems to be a general downgrade in terms of visuals/tech compared to the first game (same resolution but worse graphical quality and lower framerate); but the environmental scope is bigger.

So it's not running on a Switch Pro then? :p 

I wonder how well the game will do? Compared to the original game, there seems to be very little hype for this. I adored the first game but just can't muster up any excitement for the sequel. Same goes for God of War Rangarok. ::shrug:

I can't recall there being much pre-launch hype for the first. I think until people started playing it the general consensus was "what is this? It won't work"

Still, it being a Ubisoft game it'll be £20 come January and will probably do well at that price. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

So it's not running on a Switch Pro then? :p 

I wonder how well the game will do? Compared to the original game, there seems to be very little hype for this. I adored the first game but just can't muster up any excitement for the sequel. Same goes for God of War Rangarok. ::shrug:

I liked the first game, but I've definitely had my fill of it.  I'm not gagging for more of the same.

I don't think this game really does enough new to get me truly excited; certainly not enough to jump in at full price (and especially considering the state of modern Ubisoft in general; I do not want to support that company).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I liked the first game, but I've definitely had my fill of it.  I'm not gagging for more of the same.

Honestly, I'm not too keen on the changes to the map sizes and the movement of the characters. I think the compact levels, along with the turn based movements, made for some great strategic moments and I just can't see the sequel offering that same feeling with the changes that have been made.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Honestly, I'm not too keen on the changes to the map sizes and the movement of the characters. I think the compact levels, along with the turn based movements, made for some great strategic moments and I just can't see the sequel offering that same feeling with the changes that have been made.

Agreed.  The smaller maps were actually a benefit to Kingdom Battle's gameplay; bigger isn't always better.

That being said, I would be willing to give Davide Soliani and the team at Ubisoft Milan the benefit of the doubt here.  They certainly proved themselves with Kingdom Battle, and I'd trust them to make a good game.  I just don't think that they've changed enough with the core gameplay for me to want to jump in immediately though, especially when I've got so many other games to play (including Bayonetta 3 next week!!!).

Also... Nintendo... Please headhunt Davide Soliani and Ubisoft Milan and set them up as a first Party Nintendo studio.  Don't let them get dragged down and rot at Ubisoft, they're too good for that company.

Edited by Dcubed

Well I was planning to give it a quick bash and give my impressions but it seems I'll have to wait. I was uncertain about the change in structure (I kind of like the grid system and how it forced you to think) but based on impressions/reviews the new approach is good too, so I guess its just a different approach and requires you to strategise in a different way.

But it seems the team in Milano are celebrating the release:

(oh interesting, the twitter embed doesn't show multiple videos so you'll have to head to Twitter to see the second video he uploaded)

Surprised to not see more comment on this game.

Put a couple of hours in, it's great fun. I was worried about the lack of a grid this time around, but actually it works really well. Still getting the hang of only being able to move before you shoot, I could swear you could do it in either order in the original. I get the feeling the sparks are going to add a lot more strategy to the battles.

The visuals are a step down from Kingdom Battle for sure but that's just the trade off to having more open environments. Exploring the first planet has been fun though so can't really complain.

My only negative is the voice acting. Love Rabbid Peach but she and the rest of the crew need to not open their mouths. Her silent gags in cutscenes are way more effective. Also praying that Beep-o gets blown up asap.

On 21/10/2022 at 6:56 PM, Ronnie said:

Surprised to not see more comment on this game.

I think that's because we're the only ones playing it. 

Only played two hours but enjoying it so far. The lack of grid movement does change things up a bit but I'm getting used to approaching things in a different way. 

Voice acting I'm fine with, although the loading gets a bit irksome sometimes. Plus the actual mechanism of using the skill tree is a bit clunky but it's nothing huge. 

I'm trying to finish Xenoblade 3 before moving on as leaving that now would mean that I never get back to it. 

After XC3, Pokémon is the next game, and theb I will go for this or NieR Automata. 

15 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I'm trying to finish Xenoblade 3 before moving on as leaving that now would mean that I never get back to it. 

After XC3, Pokémon is the next game, and theb I will go for this or NieR Automata

Indy-Jones-Chosen-Wisely.gif

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Indy-Jones-Chosen-Wisely.gif

Indeed.

That game smacked MGS 3's ladder sequence from the top spot. NieR Automata's ladders can't be beaten.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

You lot have me intrigued now, I've started playing that recently to get me hyped for Bayonetta.

It's weird, good weird, but weird.

I'm definitely interested but at the moment I have Splatoon 3 to play and Bayonetta 3 coming up. Knowing Ubi games will go half price within half a year, I can wait for it.

Can we keep this on topic please?

Let's keep the discussion firmly about ladder sequences.

This is a lot of fun. Just finishing up the second world and getting really into it. 

I hadn't watched too many trailers or much gameplay beforehand so I was surprised by just how different the game is structured. It's a lot more open, with lots of side-quests everywhere and a ton more battles. Nothing too involved obv but there's lots to do if you wander around. The cutscenes are quite fun. I hate Beep-o's voice with a passion though. HATE it.

So yeah, very different experience to the original, but both are good!

You can turn voice over (for all characters, not individuals) off in the settings if its that irritating.

I am around the same area as you though. Just been playing about 10-15 minutes most days. 

• Thanks 1

Beep-o's little bloops and bleeps in the first game were cute enough, I've heard complaints everywhere about the voice over in this game though,  so will be pretty interested to hear it :laughing:

I was planning on picking this up but everything released at the same time lol, and I decided on Persona 5, and will likely get Pokémon at launch, but I definitely will check this out eventually. 

The most worrying thing for me was the change in movement as I really liked having to plan my routes, so it's reassuring to hear that you're liking it Ashley, even if it is different. 

The graphics do look worse to me but if it means bigger scope then I guess that's fine. And as much as I LOVE the graphics of the first, it did often look pretty blurry, I guess the insane polygon counts hindered the resolution or draw distance?

Personally I'm not that fussed. I tend to not hear the whole thing anyway as I read the text and skip it when done. I guess it's a nice accessibility thing but maybe they'll patch in the ability to switch it off at a later date as it seems generally unpopular. 

I've gotten used to the new movement mechanic. It's essentially been replaced with other tactics such as what sparks and items to use (can't even recall if items were a thing in the first?)

Nah items weren't a thing but the secondary weapon and the upgrade choices kind of acted as items in my mind. 

The game is still very much grid-based, even if it's not as explicit visually. It's the ability to move around freely as much as you want and use Sparks and other skills before locking in your position by firing your weapon that took some getting used to. It adds an interesting bit of strategic thinking, even if it can get a bit fiddly when I'll be shifting characters a block or two to get them in range to help another team-jump. 

Did the first story battle of world 3 this morning and enjoyed it a lot, they added a new mechanic to help get around and it was a lot of fun. I barely took much damage and it was really satisfying getting around so freely and taking enemies out with relative ease.

Edited by Ronnie

Still plodding along in the second world, in part because I'm just dabbling and also because everything is white it's difficult to decipher landmarks. 

Anyway, the DLC details were released the other day: https://www.polygon.com/23438664/mario-rabbids-sparks-hope-dlc-rayman-tower-doom-release-date

The game’s first DLC is the only one that has an official title. “The Tower of Doooom” is described as a “new combat game mode” and features the creepy robot Rabbid that gives you some of the base game’s harder side content. The image shows Mario, Edge, and Rabbid Peach, but there’s nothing to suggest that these are the only heroes players will have access to. This first DLC will launch in “early 2023” and is exclusive to those who own the game’s season pass.

There are fewer details about the second and third DLCs, although they sound more intriguing than the tower. The second DLC’s description reads: “Heroes confront a mysterious foe on a new, enchanting planet.” 

The final DLC, slated for late 2023 [...] The description here says that the DLC will allow players to control Rabbid Peach, Rabbid Mario, and, of course, Rayman himself. 

Sign in to follow this