NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Starfield (6th September 2023)

I've tried to hunt a thread down for this game but haven't been able to find one, so guess this will have to do. 

The game was officially announced at E3 2018 during Bethesda's conference, but all we got was this short teaser:

Discover Starfield, the new space epic currently in development by Bethesda Game Studios. Starfield is the first new franchise in twenty-five years from the acclaimed developers of The Elder Scrolls and Fallout series.

This game was initially rumoured to be in development since far before even E3 2017, so has clearly been in the works for a long time, and I think this E3 is the time that Bethesda will choose to have a bit of a blowout for the game. Personally, I'm fully expecting a trailer and some gameplay footage, maybe even something similar to (but probably shorter than) what they did at E3 2015 for Fallout 4. If Halo opens the show, I could see this closing it. 

I don't think this because of any leaks - though there have been a few images of the game floating around - but because the planet which was shown in the teaser is pretty plainly visible in the bottom sector of the Xbox & Bethesda conference promotional image circle:

xbox-e3-2021.jpg

dp3nhn90ki171.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

This is probably one of the few games on the announced upcoming lineup from Bethesda and Xbox which really excites me, and this is as someone who has little interest in or history with their big RPG IP's, Elder Scrolls and Fallout. If there's a focus on space exploration which they can effectively tie to RPG systems, then this might convince me to buy an Xbox sooner rather than later. I'm also interested to see what direction they go in with the soundtrack too. 

Really hoping for something special with this, but last time I started a thread on an already announced RPG we ended up with the whole Cyberpunk situation...so I guess we'll see :p

Edited by Julius

I generally get Bethesda's RPGs once all content is available for a decent price, along with plenty of mod support. With Game Pass, I'm not sure if we'll be seeing any discounted or "complete" editions any more.

Any chance this might be third person? I know they're pretty much a FP studio but I'd love to actually be able to play Starfield...

49 minutes ago, Cube said:

I generally get Bethesda's RPGs once all content is available for a decent price, along with plenty of mod support. With Game Pass, I'm not sure if we'll be seeing any discounted or "complete" editions any more.

Right, I think that's another big sell for me too: just the knowledge that if or when I decide to pull the trigger on an Xbox to get this, it will be on Game Pass and I probably won't buy it physically at full price (assuming it's an Xbox exclusive, which I imagine it would have to be). 

I would say it sucks before Bethesda, but with Microsoft's backing I suppose sales aren't going to be a massive concern for them, but I wonder if between this and Halo Infinite we'll start seeing figures thrown out there by Xbox for just how many people have played the game (rather than copies sold).

15 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Any chance this might be third person? I know they're pretty much a FP studio but I'd love to actually be able to play Starfield...

Well from what I've seen and read, from some of the supposed leaked images... 

Spoiler

...it will end up being third-person.  

XfBZsF7E5kwdP3CNozAjXf.jpg

Yeah, this would be a massive deal for me too. I don't mind first-person, but I often need to spend a lot of time changing settings, so it's rarely ever my preference. 

Worth noting however that this is supposedly from a 2018 build, so it's totally possible that this perspective is for development only, and I suppose it's also possible that it could have first-person moments in the game. 

Should be interesting to see how it pans out!

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

I love the poster, which I imagine will end up being the cover art, so much:

starfield-13-06-2021-key-art-cover_00009

Bethesda have dropped a short video which goes a bit more behind the scenes with some of the staff working on the hame and shows off some great concept art, and in my opinion should absolutely have been there yesterday. 

Spoiler

E3yMNhcXIAACqFH?format=jpg&name=large

E3yMQguXoAcb8f_?format=jpg&name=large

E3yMK-AXoAQ1gVC?format=jpg&name=large

E3yMMptWEAERRzH?format=jpg&name=large

E30T2RvVkAE6-oH?format=jpg&name=medium

E3yMVyzWEA0elFp?format=jpg&name=large

E3yMW1qX0AIITi9?format=jpg&name=large

E3yMYWnXwAggaux?format=jpg&name=large

E3yMSBAXwAIM66A?format=jpg&name=large

E3y6SZMXEAAFy-m?format=jpg&name=large

E3y6UmPWUAIkcyC?format=jpg&name=large

E3y6Vs0WEA0ZMRw?format=jpg&name=large

E3y6WwQXoAEsDab?format=jpg&name=large

Was nice to hear the music a bit more here too, sounds exactly how I wanted it to, feels like a throwback to classic orchestral sci-fi. No surprise here as many had guessed it a few months ago, but Inon Zur is composing the game's soundtrack:

Yesterday's E3 trailer:

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

It feels like publishers are putting out multiple content drops as E3 goes on to keep the conversation going rather than put all their eggs in one basket. There seems to be a lot of extra information on things the day after reveals.

Edit: but yeah would have been good to have gotten that in the Xbox showcase itself. 

Edited by Ronnie

Some interesting stuff being said by Todd Howard in his interview with The Telegraph (unfortunately it's behind a paywall so I won't bother linking it):

0uto9q4113571.png?width=640&crop=smart&a

dajz5c4u87571.png

"It is a first person and third person game, like our other ones. We like that style of gameplay. First person for us is still our prime way of playing"

So it will give you the option to play both? I always thought all Bethesda Softworks games were first person.

Rest sounds good though, hopefully they'll have learned lessons from Cyberpunk. 

Edited by Ronnie

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

"It is a first person and third person game, like our other ones. We like that style of gameplay. First person for us is still our prime way of playing"

So it will give you the option to play both? I always thought all Bethesda Softworks games were first person.

There's been a third-person option in all of their RPGs since Morrowind. I found the third-person mode kind of poor in the games I've played (which is just the Fallouts, to be fair), but a lot of people don't seem to mind them, so maybe I'm just expecting too much.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Magnus said:

There's been a third-person option in all of their RPGs since Morrowind. I found the third-person mode kind of poor in the games I've played (which is just the Fallouts, to be fair), but a lot of people don't seem to mind them, so maybe I'm just expecting too much.

Thanks I never knew that!

Some really nice stuff here, sounds like there's going to be consistent updates over time.

EDIT: Oops never mind I'm a bit late to the party!

20 hours ago, Julius said:

I love the poster, which I imagine will end up being the cover art, so much:

Poster is gorgeous, in fact the whole creative vision looks fantastic so far. 

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

A tease of the settled systems:

Explore the Settled Systems of Starfield with Bethesda Game Studios Design Director Emil Pagliarulo. Get some fresh details on Starfield’s unique setting and the factions that call it home. From the Settled Systems’ two largest factions – the United Colonies and the Freestar Collective – and the pirates of the Crimson Fleet, to the intrepid explorers of Constellation, with whom you will begin your journey in Starfield.

We got a 10 minute suite for this game performed by the London Symphony Orchestra and London Voices, introduced by Inon Zur during Skyrim's 10th anniversary concert. 

Spoiler

FD8CYn-XMAkZhpk?format=jpg&name=4096x409

FD8CYn6WUA0wUje?format=jpg&name=medium

FD8DJFoXoAQVRg9?format=jpg&name=large

FD8FrBWXMAIts-o?format=jpg&name=large

FD8FU9DXoAUk9_s?format=jpg&name=large

Sounds incredible. This or some other games might get delayed, but for now, 2022 is looking freaking stacked. 

The other day, Todd Howard also confirmed that you can pick your pronoun in the game, and that the voice-acting in the game will support this. 

Really excited about what the team has done with character creation here. Including choosing background, skills, etc. You also can pick your pronoun (he, she, they) and we've recorded all the relevant dialogue to support that choice.

You love to see it! :smile:

On 25/10/2021 at 12:58 PM, LazyBoy said:

Will this still be running on the Creation engine?

Todd Howard confirmed last year to The Telegraph that both Starfield and Elder Scrolls VI will be running on an overhauled Creation Engine dubbed - wait for it, you'll be surprised by the totally original name! - the Creation Engine 2. 

The [new Starfield] technology, Creation Engine 2, is sort of built for both [games],” he said. “It’s like a new tech base. The vast majority of our development work is on Starfield right now but everybody works on everything so the projects kind of intertwine.

It’s good to think of The Elder Scrolls 6 as still being in a design [phase]… but we’re checking the tech: ‘Is this going to handle the things we want to do in that game?’ Every game will have some new suites of technology so Elder Scrolls 6 will have some additions on to Creation Engine 2 that that game is going to require.

(Source: VGC, because the original interview with The Telegraph is unfortunately locked behind a paywall)

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Todd Howard talking over more concept art in this latest update, before they start talking about it in vague terms and oblique concepts:

We've been getting a fair bit lately, and we're less than a year out; this game feels nailed on to appear at The Game Awards, right, with an actual gameplay trailer? Really feel like it could be a missed opportunity for Xbox / Bethesda if not, given how Xbox have good ties with Keighley, there will be a lot of eyes on the show from owners of other systems, etc., from a casual perspective maybe even more so than Xbox's E3 might get. 

I just want to see more :p

Edited by Julius

32 minutes ago, Cube said:

Delayed to somewhere in 2023:

Welp, big blow for Xbox's year (in terms of first party content), but smart to get out ahead of the Xbox/Bethesda showcase next month, and it's not totally unexpected (Bethesda's recent track record paired with firming a launch date over a year out never inspired confidence). Still, have to imagine it could still turn up next month seeing as we haven't seen any gameplay yet, and while it's a shame, a delay is pretty much always the right move ::shrug: 

This is for exactly the sort of thing I've been talking about when it comes to Xbox's pick-ups: it's all well and good buying up one studio after another, but we still haven't seen how they manage and curate their slate of games (sure, this game has been in the works since before the Bethesda buyout, but at the end of the day Xbox allowed them to come out and say 11/11/22 so far out), and how consistently they can get them out of the door. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but does that mean that the only first party Xbox game currently slated for 2022 is S.T.A.L K.E.R. 2? (EDIT: completely forgot this was delayed indefinitely due to the invasion of Ukraine, so yeah, they've got nothing slated currently)

Guess it means I can put off picking up the Series X a bit longer :p

Edited by Julius

Wow! That’s a huge blow for Xbox.  They have literally no retail games lined up for the rest of the year now!

Are they seriously gonna go without a single retail release for an entire year!? This is literally the worst first party games drought for any platform holder in all of gaming history!

Edited by Dcubed

New Digital Foundry video on the footage we saw at the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase:

Might as well also throw that footage in here while I'm here too:

Delayed to September 6th 2023, with a Starfield Direct on June 11th 2023 for Xbox's and Bethesda's Not-E3:

This thing has been delayed a couple of times and it's still probably going to come in hot.

Let's just hope it's more a case of this:

obi-wan-kenobi-jedi-master.gif

Than this: 

awing-super-star-destroyer.gif

:p

They literally stole the Nintendo Direct branding wholesale! LMAO!

That can be Nintendo's payment for free COD ports I suppose.

• Haha 1

Trailer and Direct from yesterday:

Thought this looked great, and it's still probably the only game I'm interested in enough to remotely consider picking up a Series X or S for; which is to say, it's still not enough to justify picking one up for me yet (unfortunately). 

Not too long to go for this now! Will definitely be checking it out via Game Pass. :)
The ship creation aspect looks so cool, :cool: that's like an entire game for me already with that feature alone. :D

Anyway, hopefully Starfield as a whole lives up to the hype and is fun to play. I just love the look and vibe of it all, but then again the same was true of No Man's Sky... which I couldn't seem to get into. :hmm:

They’re saying all the right things, as people rightly have concerns on a number of areas that Bethesda have fallen foul on in the past, or that similar games (of a much smaller scope!) have, but they haven’t been afraid to address them and reassure people that they have considered them and are ensuring that the game plays well.

Whether they’re all talk and no trousers we’ll find out soon enough. I’m still surprised it’s so close to release date.  It looks good, it has a great premise, I’m not sure it could possibly live up to all of its promises, but let’s see.

Sign in to follow this