NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Games You Never Played

I was watching a video the other day and it mentioned the game 40 Winks which I'd long forgotten about but I can remember seeing a lot about at one point and thinking I'd like to try but never got the opportunity and it got me wondering which games you have never had the chance to play. That could be because they never arrived here (Hey You, Pikachu!), or you couldn't afford, didn't have the right console etc.

Or if you want games that were like that for a long time and then you did eventually get to play, which might be ones like Super Mario RPG for many of us European folks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aero the Acrobat on the Megadrive! 

I can remember pouring over the pictures of it in some old gaming magazines, I'd go to bed dreaming about playing it...and then for some unknown reason by the time my birthday came around, I didn't ask for it 🤷‍♂️ still a big regret of mine 😢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Or if you want games that were like that for a long time and then you did eventually get to play

That's exactly what happened with me and Panzer Dragoon Saga. It's infamously expensive to buy, but I eventually just bit the bullet and bought it a few years ago. Glad I did, as it's ludicrously priced nowadays, so doubt I'd have even played it if I didn't get it when I did.

It was worth the wait, as it's a great game, plus it only seems to be going up in "value", so a decent investment too.

• Thanks 1

These days, I've played most of the older Nintendo console games that I never played back in the 90's that I was interested in. (Terranigma, the 3 Earthbound games, Lufia, etc.) So there isn't much left on my miss list outside of the first three Dragon Quests. (DQ III is getting that HD-2D Remake, so that one will be fixed soon)

Chances are, if there's an older game I want to play, it'll be a PS1 RPG. The one I'm mostly interested in is Breath Of Fire III (and IV).

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

My favourite Wii game is Excite Truck. Due to not releasing over here, I never played the sequel Excitebots: Trick Racing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jet force Gemini and Blast Corps were the games I remember as a kid that looked cool but I never got to play.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Jet force Gemini and Blast Corps were the games I remember as a kid that looked cool but I never got to play.

They're both still great on Rare Replay. Blast Corps is still a beast on original hardware (JFG not so much). Highly, highly recommend giving them a go if you ever get a chance. Two of the best and most unique games from the N64 generation. 

• Thanks 2

I remember fawning over pictures of San Francisco Rush 2049 for ages in the N64 magazine. Was building myself up to buying it, and then....just didn't? Can't remember why now, maybe something else came along that i bought instead? Either way, I spent so long researching and reading about this game, that I've almost convinced myself that I have played it, even though i haven't.

• Thanks 1

Great question. I feel like the games I truly wanted to play for a long time, I already had the opportunity to play them, or my excitement eroded over the years (like with World Ends With You back in the DS era. Never found a copy, and eventually I stopped caring)

But there is one I never forgot: Tales of Innocence for the Nintendo DS. I was incredibly hyped for it, loved the character designs, and I was really excited to try a Tales game that was designed like a fighting game more than any other... But the game was never localized. I didn't want to play fan translations, nor a ROM on my PC, nor did I want to go through hoops to install patches on my DS (and I'm not sure if this game ever got one, anyway): I wanted an official, professional localization, and I wanted to play it with a proper controller. That version has yet to exist, but if they ever announce a localization, I'll be there day 1.

I know it's unlikely, but hey, if Trials of Mana made it, anything's possible.

6 hours ago, Kaepora_Gaebora said:

Aero the Acrobat on the Megadrive! 

I can remember pouring over the pictures of it in some old gaming magazines, I'd go to bed dreaming about playing it...and then for some unknown reason by the time my birthday came around, I didn't ask for it 🤷‍♂️ still a big regret of mine 😢

Oh wow, blast from the past! It was a really fun platformer, besides the fact that it lacked a password or a save system. I think a rerelease with save states would do pretty well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nowadays I am going out of my way to try and play every classic game that appeals to me but in spite of my gaming library having encompassed over 200 games the fact that I only got involved in gaming from 2000 onwards and that was only on handhelds means that I missed several retro games, some of which I went back for but others due to licensing issues I never got around to play.

Here are some well known games that I have never played or only experienced over the internet in my favoured format, one massive list:

Final Fantasy

Final Fantasy II

Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble

Star Fox

F-Zero

Pilotwings

Final Fantasy V

Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Banjo-Kazooie

Goldeneye 007

Conkey's Bad Fur Day

Jet Force Gemini

Banjo-Tooie

Blast Corps

Diddy Kong Racing

Final Fantasy VIII

Final Fantasy IX

Final Fantasy Tactics

Chrono Cross

Xenogears

Soul Blade

Metal Gear Solid

Resident Evil

Resident Evil 2

Resident Evil 3

Pokemon Snap

Pokemon Puzzle League

Pokemon Puzzle Challenge

Super Smash Bros.

Hey You! Pikachu!

F-Zero X

Paper Mario

Mario Party

Mario Party 2

Mario Party 3

Pokemon Colosseum

Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness

(Yeah, despite being into Pokemon I never really got the home console stuff for it, by the time I got a Gamecube my interest in Pokemon had become main games only)

Chibi-Robo

Pikmin

Pikmin 2

Resident Evil 4

Super Monkey Ball 2

Viewtiful Joe 2

Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader

Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut

Star Fox Adventures

Star Fox Assault

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Mario Party 4

Mario Party 5

Mario Party 6

Splinter Cell

Jak II

Jak III

Sly Cooper

Sly 2

Sly 3

Grand Theft Auto III

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Burnout 3: Takedown

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Halo: Combat Evolved

Halo 3

(My experience of Halo 2 was only in multiplayer on a friend's copy in case anyone was curious.)

Advance Wars (I was never really interested in strategy games)

Advance Wars 2

Fire Emblem (Same deal, though I ended up maining Roy and Ike in Smash)

Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (having gotten into Castlevania recently I will be crossing that one off my list at some point!)

F-Zero Maximum Velocity

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team and Blue Rescue Team

Star Fox Command

Pokemon Ranger (all of them)

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time and Space

Mass Effect

Mass Effect 2

Uncharted

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006

Sonic & the Black Knight

Sonic Colours

Sonic Generations

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Sonic Lost World

The Last of Us

Hyrule Warriors

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

Fire Emblem Awakening

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attourney (plus sequels)

Bravely Default

Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair

Demon Souls

Dark Souls II

Dark Souls III

Bloodborne

I think that's about it for now, I'm sure there are others. Note that I haven't played some of these games simply due to a lack of interest in their particular genres.

• Haha 1

For years I intended to play through the Elder Scrolls series, but I kept putting it off because of my obsessive need to start from the first game - and I didn't really feel like playing Arena or Daggerfall (plus the length of the games didn't help).

And then I played Fallout 4 for like 80 hours and I disliked it so much that it completely cured me of my interest in The Elder Scrolls. At least something good came out of it!

• Thanks 1

Thanks to the Switch remaster I am currently putting one right: Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne.

For the longest time, I thought of Sonic 3 as "the greatest game I hadn't played" but that got set to rights through the Wii VC and it wasn't so great after all. :blush: 

On 08/06/2021 at 1:22 PM, Cube said:

My favourite Wii game is Excite Truck. 

Killer soundtrack. On my version anyway. ;)

• Like 1

There was a Gameboy game called Warlocked which I remember seeing in N64 magazine, would've liked to have played that if it ever got an EU release. Would have also liked to play Bombernam 64 2 and Snowboard Kids 2 if they had released over here.

• Like 1

Nice topic!

Ignoring JPN only releases (and yes @Glen-i, we WILL get Earthbound Endings and Ace Attorney Investigations 2 in English someday!), there’s quite a few I can think of... Mostly from the SEGA CD and SEGA Saturn.  Given the absolutely ludicrous prices that they go for on the second hand market (and I’m not willing to steal/pirate them; I have some morals in me), I just can’t justify a purchase...

The biggest ones that immediately spring to mind are...

Burning Rangers, Lunar: The Silver Star, Lunar: Eternal Blue, Shining In The Darkness, Shining Force CD, Snatcher, Popful Mail and Dragon Force. (For those wondering, yes I already own Panzer Dragoon Saga! That’s why it’s not listed here! Also, Shining Force 3 isn’t listed here because there’s no point in getting it when Scenarios 2 & 3 remain JPN only; the English release is only 1/3 of the whole game!).

On the PS1, most of the best games in its library thankfully got re-released on the PS3 PSN store; but there were a few unfortunate stragglers that didn’t make it... Most notably Tales of Destiny and Tales of Eternia/Tales of Destiny 2... which I did actually own for a short time! But I really needed money at that time and had to sell them both off... Now they both go for silly money!

On the SNES and MD? The major missing ones for me are Sparkster, Rocket Knight Adventures, Rocket Knight Adventures 2 and Crusader of Centy.  I’ve got all of the other English friendly games I really want on those systems now.

On the GBA? It’s just Ninja Cop/Ninja Five-o left now; and wouldn’t you know it? It also JUST so happens to be the single rarest and most valuable game released for the system! Go figure!

On the N64? I’m missing Mischief Makers,  Bangai-o, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon and Goemon’s Big Adventure.  The latter three are very expensive, while Bangai-o is both low priority (due to the readily available Dreamcast remake that I do own, but plays quite differently from the N64 original).  Mischief Makers is an odd one though, since it’s not that expensive and not that hard to come by really; I’ll probably get it fairly soon.

Original Gameboy? Just Kid Dracula and Castlevania Legends really (though I’m currently satisfied with the recent official English localisation of the previously JPN-only NES original version!).

For every other system? I’ve basically got everything I want now in one form or another.  That’s about it.  There are some other smaller titles I want as well, but those are all the major ones left unaccounted for.

Otherwise? The last major title I’ve not played through yet are the ones on my backlog that I’ll get round to eventually when I’m in the mood.  Namely Fire Emblem Fates, Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia, Codename STEAM, Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinestrals, Octopath Traveller, Bravely Second, Bravely Default 2, Doom Eternal and Miitopia.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I’m missing Mischief Makers,

Now I've got "shake shake!" in my head.

Some popular games I've never played

- Super Mario Bros 2, 3

- Mario Galaxy 2

- Halo 1 and 2

- FF 1 to 13. I've played 14, a bit of 15 and the pretty bad FF7R.

- The main Meal Gear games. I've played the original (not MSG), Twin Snakes and the beta for Survive

- Any Resident Evil except 4 and 5

- Any Dark Souls

- Crash and Spyro

- Any Kirby game

- Jak and Dexter

- Fire Emblem

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Namely Fire Emblem: Shadows of Valentia,

I think I already knew about this one... someone may have mentioned it like 5 times here on the forum :heh: 

Just play Echoes, bro. Get it out of your system

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

I think I already knew about this one... someone may have mentioned it like 5 times here on the forum :heh: 

Just play Echoes, bro. Get it out of your system

Whoever mentioned it is very smart, you should listen to that person.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Burning Rangers, Lunar: The Silver Star, Lunar: Eternal Blue, Shining In The Darkness, Shining Force CD, Snatcher, Popful Mail and Dragon Force. (For those wondering, yes I already own Panzer Dragoon Saga! That’s why it’s not listed here! Also, Shining Force 3 isn’t listed here because there’s no point in getting it when Scenarios 2 & 3 remain JPN only; the English release is only 1/3 of the whole game!).

Shining in the Darkness has been on a couple of MD collections, so it’s cheap enough to play these days. I think it was on the Virtual Console as well. As for Shining Force 3, I highly recommend playing it even though it’s only the first part. Plus, if it bothers you that much, the fan translations for parts 2 and 3 have been widely available for years and are supposed to be fantastic.

On the PS1, most of the best games in its library thankfully got re-released on the PS3 PSN store; but there were a few unfortunate stragglers that didn’t make it... Most notably Tales of Destiny and Tales of Eternia/Tales of Destiny 2... which I did actually own for a short time! But I really needed money at that time and had to sell them both off... Now they both go for silly money!

Tales of Eternia is cheap enough on the PSP. I really enjoyed my time with that game back in the day.

On the N64? I’m missing Mischief Makers,  Bangai-o, Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon and Goemon’s Big Adventure.  The latter three are very expensive, while Bangai-o is both low priority (due to the readily available Dreamcast remake that I do own, but plays quite differently from the N64 original).  Mischief Makers is an odd one though, since it’s not that expensive and not that hard to come by really; I’ll probably get it fairly soon.

I’m still missing both the Mystical Ninja games as well. The first one can be picked up pretty easily but the second game is a nightmare. Not only does it rarely pop up on eBay but also the ones that do appear never meet my standards when it comes to its condition.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Plus, if it bothers you that much, the fan translations for parts 2 and 3 have been widely available for years and are supposed to be fantastic.

He refuses to play Mother 3 despite having an amazing and lovingly crafted fan translation.

Same with Ace Attorney Investigations 2. It's even worse in that regard because he owns a copy of that game, but won't play the fan translation!

27 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

He refuses to play Mother 3 despite having an amazing and lovingly crafted fan translation.

Same with Ace Attorney Investigations 2. It's even worse in that regard because he owns a copy of that game, but won't play the fan translation!

Doesn’t he play rom hacks? What’s the difference?

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Doesn’t he play rom hacks? What’s the difference?

I don't know!

It's infuriating!

12 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I don't know!

It's infuriating!

Give him a slap across the face when you next see him and make sure to use a copy of Fire Emblem Echoes while you’re at it.

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Shining in the Darkness has been on a couple of MD collections, so it’s cheap enough to play these days. I think it was on the Virtual Console as well. As for Shining Force 3, I highly recommend playing it even though it’s only the first part. Plus, if it bothers you that much, the fan translations for parts 2 and 3 have been widely available for years and are supposed to be fantastic.

Ahh shite! I meant Shining The Holy Ark; not Shining in the Darkness.  You’re right, SitD is common as muck (and I do have it; it’s not bad, but STHA looks SO much more fun!)

Tales of Eternia is cheap enough on the PSP. I really enjoyed my time with that game back in the day.

I had the PSP release too... unfortunately it was the version with the unskippable Game Ending Crash Bug... And there’s absolutely no way to tell that you’ve got a (rare!) bug fixed copy until you buy it and try it yourself :( So I gave up on trying to hunt a PSP copy down.

I’m still missing both the Mystical Ninja games as well. The first one can be picked up pretty easily but the second game is a nightmare. Not only does it rarely pop up on eBay but also the ones that do appear never meet my standards when it comes to its condition.

Yeah, I’ve been keeping a side eye on eBay on and off for some decent copies over the last few months... I did find one good copy for a decent price, but got sniped! Then I went and drowned my sorrows by finally picking up Terranigma for a decent price instead!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Ahh shite! I meant Shining The Holy Ark; not Shining in the Darkness.  You’re right, SitD is common as muck (and I do have it; it’s not bad, but STHA looks SO much more fun!)

That makes more sense. I wondered why it was amongst your rare games list. :D Shining The Holy Ark is one of my favourite JRPGs from that generation. It runs like garbage but I have a strong attachment to the game.

12 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I had the PSP release too... unfortunately it was the version with the unskippable Game Ending Crash Bug... And there’s absolutely no way to tell that you’ve got a (rare!) bug fixed copy until you buy it and try it yourself :( So I gave up on trying to hunt a PSP copy down.

Ah, the old version 2.0 bug. It’s easy for a seller to check if their version is the busted one or 2.5. Some eBay sellers actually state which version they are selling. It’s a very underrated Tales game, IMO. I love the sprite work. :heart:

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this