NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
darksnowman

Games That Need the Switch 4K Power Boost

To piggyback on yesterday evenings thread, let's continue anticipating the allegedly imminent Switch upgrade reveal (which is due to happen within 48 hours if the rumours are to be believed) by discussing some games on the bog-standard Switch that could benefit from a power boost.

Breath of the Wild
Topping yet another list. I recently went back and finished BotW--not 100%--and was really struck by how jittery the framerate was as well as the amount of pop-in that occurred. We hold Nintendo to high standards and you would have expected them to find solutions to and workarounds for technical issues like these. Load times in Nintendo games weird me out, too. Hopefully, the 4K can smooth things out somewhat.

Link's Awakening
Come on, there's really no excuse for this one stuttering; it should be fixed already. Not the level of care normally shown by the Big N. 

Bowser's Fury
Gets a bit choppy when Fury Bowser is up and about. Personally, I didn't mind it too much as it felt, imo, like the Switch was working its socks off just to render everything which I kind of enjoyed in an old-skool way. Would be great if load times are considerably reduced, too.

Crypt of the Necrodancer / Enter the Gungeon
Load times again. Sometimes it takes longer to load a map than a run lasts...! :laughing: 

Persona 5 Strikers
An upscale would be cool. :cool: 

The Outer Worlds
I like to check these ports of games that aren't typically available on Nintendo hardware. Comparisons of this one made it look like a valiant job was done but the scenery appeared scaled back and sparse all the same. Perhaps patches could be pushed out to players on the 4K to bring these ports more in-line with their original versions?

What about everyone else? Got any games that you'd like to get, get back to, or start a fresh file in if they receive a performance boost to enhance the experience?
:peace: 

Both Xenoblade games look like garbage in handheld mode and aren’t that hot in docked mode either. Both of them could do with a boost.

• Like 2

Mario Kart 8 is still one of the most stunning games Nintendo have ever made. It runs flawlessly so give me that 4K boost just for extra detail!

• Like 1

The right answer is all of them, but Xenoblade 1&2 are especially in dire need of the boost (Xenoblade 1 is such a shoddy port that it barely looks better than the Wii original at all!).

Bowser’s Fury’s performance is also dreadful on the current Switch; and is barely playable at all in handheld mode.  Well below the standard I’d expect from Nintendo.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Mario Kart 8 is still one of the most stunning games Nintendo have ever made. It runs flawlessly so give me that 4K boost just for extra detail!

Congratulations! You chose one of the worst examples of games that need this theoretical boost. Might as well shove Smash Ultimate and Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap in there while you're at it!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Congratulations! You chose one of the worst examples of games that need this theoretical boost. Might as well shove Smash Ultimate and Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap in there while you're at it!

24 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It runs flawlessly so give me that 4K boost just for extra detail!

The thread is called "Games That Need The Switch 4K Power Boost"

A miniscule amount of detail isn't exactly a great use of that.

There are a lot of games that could use the power boost in terms of frame rate alone.

A game I'm currently playing that could use a kick in the behind is Immortals: Fenyx Rising. Although it runs okay and it's impressive it runs on the Switch, it looks a bit muddy at times and could use better draw distances and more consistent frame rate.

I'm guessing it goes for more graphics heavy third parties, like Doom, Wolfenstein and The Witcher.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

The thread is called "Games That Need The Switch 4K Power Boost"

A miniscule amount of detail isn't exactly a great use of that.

There are a lot of games that could use the power boost in terms of frame rate alone.

I apologise for adding to the conversation. Stupid me. I'll stay well clear.

• Sad 1

Mario Kart definitely doesn't need the boost but it will 100% be getting a patch to take advantage. 

Of the games I've played I would say all the Xenoblade's need to boost the most, along with Rime (which improved with patches but is still pretty muddy and stuttery) Little Nightmares would benefit from a resolution bump too, I played the demo for the second one and it looked alright but I opted to play it on PlayStation instead because I thought it deserved the higher fidelity.

I think the Bethesda releases will get a boost too, DOOM and Wolfenstein especially would benefit massively from even a 30 FPS lock and a bump up to 720p. It'll be interesting to see how easy it is to implement improvements, would be nice if it was simple enough that developers of all sizes could utilise the extra power for their older titles.

• Like 1

Switch games that need the 4k power boost

That's the full list for me. Nothing wrong with the performance of any Switch games I've played.

What Breath of the Wild needs far more than 4k is the ability to show the HUD and map on the Wii U GamePad.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Weird 1

Give me Breath of the Wild's (and it's sequel's) forests at a consistent frame rate and all is forgiven. Kind of. Also maybe make Legends: Arceus not look like a mess please. Please!

But also, now that you'll finally have the power for it and won't be restrained by the tech of the original Switch:

ADD SOME FOLDERS AND THEMES

Crisp, 4K, 60 fps folders and themes. 

• Like 2

Pokémon Legends so it can double the amount of Pokémon in the wild area to 4.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Super Mario 3D World so that Toad can run at 200cc+ equivalent speed.

• Like 1

Tbh I find a lot of games on the TV look really good. No complaints at all. 
It’s in handheld mode that stuff starts to look a bit garish at times. 

So if it’s a better quality screen then hopefully that will help! 

• Like 1

Picross. Gimme some 4000x4000 puzzles.

What do you mean, that's the wrong 4K?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Apex Legends really needs it. Such a good game but it’s unplayable in comparison to other versions.

• Like 2

A lot of great replies mentioning games I haven't played on Switch like the Xenoblades, Doom, Wolfenstein, Witcher 3, etc. Sounds like plenty of these (over-?) ambitious titles aren't so silky and could do with some help.

17 hours ago, Vileplume2000 said:

A game I'm currently playing that could use a kick in the behind is Immortals: Fenyx Rising. Although it runs okay and it's impressive it runs on the Switch, it looks a bit muddy at times and could use better draw distances and more consistent frame rate.

Yeah, I tried the Immortals demo and whilst impressive as it is, a boost in the areas you mention would be nice to see.

17 hours ago, killthenet said:

Mario Kart definitely doesn't need the boost but it will 100% be getting a patch to take advantage. 

Maybe 250cc is incoming. :laughing: 

15 hours ago, Aneres11 said:

Tbh I find a lot of games on the TV look really good. No complaints at all. 
It’s in handheld mode that stuff starts to look a bit garish at times. 

So if it’s a better quality screen then hopefully that will help! 

I also play docked and have very few complaints about the games I've played. When I first played Mario & Rabbids I thought it had the best graphics in any game I'd ever played! :blush:  It's the joysticks that would need a boost to get me back to undocked mode. If only!

13 hours ago, Kav said:

Apex Legends really needs it. Such a good game but it’s unplayable in comparison to other versions.

Good call. Other cross-platform free-to-play games could maybe be brought up to par with the other versions too.

• Like 1

Just BoTW in 4k please. No performance complaints, I just think its beautiful.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dcubed said:

The right answer is all of them

Yep. Sad but true.

It’s not as much of an issue when you game exclusively on Nintendo systems, but once you spend time playing on higher spec consoles and PC in particular, that’s when it becomes crystal clear just how much room for improvement there actually is. :eek:

While there are certain Switch games that would massively benefit from more horsepower, the fact is they could all be significantly improved, either by higher/smoother frame rates, increased resolution/image quality, or all of the above and more.

When I saw a video of Bowser’s Fury being emulated on PC at 4K/60+FPS that was a real eye opener as to just how much the current Switch hardware is now holding back even Nintendo’s own development teams! :o

That said, there has been some straight-up wizardry on the Switch as well. For me the best example still has to be Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. That game looks so good and runs amazingly (including online) it actually defies logic! :D 
But even it would benefit from a hardware upgrade as it’s still possible to completely tank the frame rate with an 8 player all Ice Climbers battle, or a custom stage with too many moving parts etc. :heh: Or worst of all, an 8 player all Ice Climbers battle on a custom stage with too many moving parts! :laughing:

Anyway, it’s going to be really interesting to see exactly what the impact will be for existing software running on a more powerful Switch, so bring on that reveal! :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Anyway, it’s going to be really interesting to see exactly what the impact will be for existing software running on a more powerful Switch, so bring on that reveal! :) 

It will be good for games which have a dynamic resolution. That was some nice forward thinking from Nintendo. It does not mean, however, that we'll see BOTW at more than 900p 30fps without a patch. I don't see Nintendo going back and patching old games outside of a select few (BOTW hopefully!). The same goes for every game - they'll run at or closer to max resolution most of the time, but anything above that ceiling will require work. Personally, I'd be jumping straight in to Hyrule Warriors. That game runs very badly on the OG Switch. I'd hope a new console will lock it at it's highest framerate and max resolution. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dcubed said:

The right answer is all of them,

Ehh no, definitely not. I've mentioned this before, and I've mentioned it recently again on Discord.. There are plenty games, often small indie games, that are simply not optimized. Some games run badly, even though they don't look like they should. These games need proper programming and optimization, and a power boost is not going to help, nor should it be the answer.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this