NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Direct | E3 2021 + Treehouse Live (15th June 2021 @ 17:00 BST)

Thanks, ordered.

Imagine attempting to play Adventure of Link on that thing :laughing:

First of all, shout-out to @Hero-of-Time. I was chatting on Discord during the Direct, and the first thing I shouted when the 18+ logo showed was Bayonetta confirmed, and the first thing I said when Dread was revealed was "it lives!". Exactly the same reactions you posted here haha.

Anyway, a solid Direct all in all. The opening had me on the wrong foot for a short moment as it was Ganondorf being tossed so thought they might open with BOTW2, but the art style was off and it quickly dawned this was Smash. A good choice for a character, but I still haven't bought any of the passes and this is not convincing me to purchase one now.

The highlight was of course Metroid Dread, can't wait for it to arrive as I had a blast playing Samus Returns last year. I have faith that it is in good hands of MercurySteam. Two other games that are high on my list but were already confirmed are Tony Hawk 1+2 Remastered and Mario + Rabbids 2.

WarioWare is a good get for the system, and one that is also long overdue. The last one I played was one of the DS ones I think, may be up for this in time. Mario Party Superstars, great they are going back to the roots but I have Super Mario Party borrowed from a friend and it really doesn't feel like a €60 title. I wonder if the new one has a bit more content. Same goes for Advance Wars 1+2 Remastered, great to see the series return but I prefer the old pixel art style, and €60 feels steep for a remaster of two GBA games. Even WarioWare I'm not sure if I want to dish out €60 for it.

Super Monkey Ball, loving the looks of it! Have great memories of the GameCube games so if the remaster is done well this will be a get, but probably a bit later down the line. Mario Golf keeps looking better and better, but after Aces and Mario Party I'm a bit wary about the Switch Mario spin-offs so far.

The Breath of the Wild teaser was a good closer, it gives an ever-so-small insight in what the game is going to be and surprising how different the vibe was from the first teaser. I'm guessing it will be Holiday 2022 at best but we'll see.

• Haha 1

Breath of the Wild 2 looks excellent and glad it's out in 2022.

Metroid Dread looks pretty good, good chance I'll buy that at some point.

Advance Wars... I usually enjoy it for a few days and get stuck/bored lol so I might skip that one.

Nothing else really caught my attention.

Sad that no Switch Pro, no Mario Kart 8 DLC or 9, no classic Pokemon on Switch, no BDSP, no Arceus, no GB/GBA/N64 for Switch Online, no Prime trio and no Prime 4.

Sooooo my takeaway from Nintendo E3 is: I'm glad BOTW2 hasn't been delayed. xD

• Like 1

content-4-36519-nintendodirecte32021banner.jpg

Nintendo Direct E3 2021 Roundup

Now up on the main page.

Full press release, and a link to the video. :)

(It was on the main page within a few hours, but I was catching up with the Metroid Dread coverage, the game looks fantastic) :D

- - - - -

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sckewi said:

Advance Wars... I usually enjoy it for a few days and get stuck/bored lol so I might skip that one.

The main thing I remember about Advance Wars is that by the time you are down to the last couple of missions it felt like there was only one way to victory. ::shrug: Having said that, I'm up for a new entry or even Days of Ruin getting tarted up for Switch because whilst I have DoR, it still remains sealed. Oops. 

@BowserBasher How did spoiler avoidance go?

23 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Nintendo Direct E3 2021 Roundup

Now up on the main page.

Full press release, and a link to the video. :)

(It was on the main page within a few hours, but I was catching up with the Metroid Dread coverage, the game looks fantastic) :D

- - - - -

Haha, I'm sure you had your head turned trying to keep up with everything! Nice work. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everyone going hype over BotW2, while I'm here twiddling my thumbs, waiting to go on a silly motorcycle adventure with Zelda this Friday.

Edited by Glen-i

50 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

@BowserBasher How did spoiler avoidance go?

Perfectly. Got a link from @Glen-i that was fine. Glad it did too cause a few of the announcements I would not have liked spoilt. 

• Like 2

So, that was much better than expected! :hehe:

Personal highlight was obviously WarioWare, but I have to say I really did enjoy the reveal of Metroid Dread (despite not being so keen on the 2D games) and I'm super happy for all the fans that have been waiting for such a long time! Advance Wars remake was a fantastic moment too! :o I have both of the originals so won't be picking up Re-Boot Camp, but this is probably the most tempted I've ever been to get one of these Switch re-releases.

Monkey Ball remaster (with the correct game/s this time ;)) was obviously nice to see. But again, I've played them both to death (I'm serious... I lost a bloody GCN controller to these games! :laughing:) so it's not for me.

Oh yeah- the latest Smash character reveal. Great stuff! No quibble with that choice at all, and while it won't see me purchasing FP2 I'm looking forward to seeing Kazuya in action in the dedicated vid, and then of course to find myself on the receiving end of some 10 hit combos in the N-E newcomer online session. :D Hopefully they make good choices when it comes to adding music from Tekken though. Aim to Win definitely needs to be in there. :bouncy:

Just remembered something else, Shin Megami Tensei V. No idea why as I have no history with the series and it's blatantly not my type of game, it also looks pretty rough, but for some reason I'm contemplating checking it out. What the hell is going on? :heh:

As for something that is very much my cup of tea... BotW 2. :cool: It looks absolutely brilliant, wish they could've showed a bit more really.  :grin: Not sure if I truly believe it will make 2022, but I certainly can't wait to play it whenever it does arrive. :)

All great stuff, but there were a few negatives. It's a shame we didn't get anything at all on Bayonetta 3. And "Switch Pro" remains a mystery. :hmm: Also, as much as I'm hyped for BotW 2, I think ending on it wasn't the best idea. I know there had already been several new projects revealed in that Direct, but if they could've just scraped together a little something from one of the still secret in-development titles, you know, just to end it on a surprise, I think that would've been the icing on the E3 Direct cake.

But yeah, overall pretty happy with what we got. And considering the ongoing issues caused by coronavirus I think Nintendo actually did very well indeed. :peace:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 6/3/2021 at 4:51 PM, Mandalore said:

Would love to see F-Zero, Advance Wars, Golden Sun or Pilotwings get new games.

I didn't really believe any of those games had a chance of getting sequels, so great to see Advance Wars getting remade! And a new Nintendo racing game that isn't Mario Kart!

Also pleased to see a new 2D Metroid and a Mario Party which uses all the best bits from the original games.

Best Nintendo E3 in ages.

8 hours ago, RedShell said:

Just remembered something else, Shin Megami Tensei V. No idea why as I have no history with the series and it's blatantly not my type of game, it also looks pretty rough, but for some reason I'm contemplating checking it out. What the hell is going on? :heh:

What's funny* is I think it looks really advanced. :blush: 

*not sure if that's funny-haha or funny-sad. Probably sad. 

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

What's funny* is I think it looks really advanced. :blush: 

*not sure if that's funny-haha or funny-sad. Probably sad. 

I think it's just a case of Tokyo in Shin Megami Tensei looking really desolate and barren, which is the point. SMT is a much grimmer game then Persona and Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

I can imagine newbies to the series will feel a similar way as @RedShell especially after seeing said other games.

Still, I played the fourth one on the 3DS, it's a great little RPG with elements of Pokémon in it.

Spent yesterday catching up on what I missed of Treehouse, watched the Direct again, and re-watched a bunch of trailers and checked out some of the reactions too. 

Started out strong with Smash, that Kazuya trailer was hilarious :laughing: the Life is Strange games coming to Switch is great too, my sister loved the first one when she played it on my PS4, so I'm sure she'll be interested in that (strange that True Colours is coming day-and-date with other consoles, but no date for the Remastered collection when it comes out a couple of weeks later for other consoles is a bit weird); Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania is a collection I'm curious about (only memory of those games is being around a friend's house and just constantly watching him fall off the edge); and I'm glad I didn't pick up Super Mario Party, because Mario Party Superstars looks like a great time, guess what I'm playing with my family this Christmas!

Then it was Metroid Dread. Someone mentioned it on here the other day before the Direct, and so I looked it up and found a bunch of fan-made Samus suit designs, and so when we saw the white and red suit (not sure if it appears in any of the other games, but I haven't played most of them so I haven't!) I immediately knew what was going on. Agree with @Jonnas that the reveal itself and what they did around it was probably stronger than what they showed in the trailer itself, as while I think it looks really good from a gameplay perspective, it looks a lot closer visually to what we saw from Samus Returns than I expected. Still, made many people here very happy, which is always great to see! :) only criticism I've seen of this section really was that maybe they could have had even more exaggerated reactions if they didn't lead into it by saying that it was a new Metroid game beforehand, but given that they started with the bad news that Prime 4 is still in development and we could extrapolate from what they were saying that it wouldn't be here, I think it was a wise decision. 

After this they went into Just Dance 2022, and I bring this up because I think we need to point out three strengths that Nintendo's Directs have that shows by others don't: they know how to pace a show; they know what their fans are hungry for; and they know how to control the narrative within their show. Absolutely no-one rightly freaking out over the Dread announcement was paying attention to anything that happened for the immediate minute or so after that trailer finished, and they know that, so sticking something in like Just Dance to allow that announcement and the fans a moment to breathe is something which goes well under the radar at these things, but I think is really worth highlighting. 

After that it cooled down a bit for me, but again, it just flowed well and they kept the interesting announcements coming. Warioware looks like a lot of fun but is perfect for a mid-Direct game, what they showed of Shin Megami Tensei V looked great, the Danganronpa collection sounds great, and some third party ports were interesting to see as always. Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp is something I am absolutely in for, I've only heard good things from here and elsewhere, and while at face value I think the sprites in the originals looked better, I'm not complaining. 

Koizumi and Takahashi throwing it over to Aonuma for the Zelda stuff was good, but when you say you're throwing it over to someone for the final section of the Direct, I really don't think there was a reason to go back to them, because it instantly makes you wonder if there's one more thing. That and the three quick montages throughout, rather than one longer montage, were probably the only tiny missteps I think they made in the whole thing. 

Age of Calamity DLC looks like good fun, that game is still on my shelf but as I'm starting to slowly get that Zelda itch, I doubt that will be the case for too much longer. Skyward Sword HD I'm obviously looking forward to, it's a bit of a downer on things that there aren't any other plans beyond that and the Game & Watch (which looked cool by the way, guess that's our Zelda collection!), but then it was onto the Breath of the Wild sequel. Yes, it's a bummer there's no title yet and "aiming" for 2022 doesn't do much to inspire confidence, and it wasn't as strong a trailer as any of the ones we got for the first game, but I still think it was really strong in its own right. I love the melody in the middle section, and I absolutely adore just how much of their sound design comes into play when creating moments of harmony and disharmony in the trailer, which further complements the music: the wind flapping in your face as Link descends from the heavens; the sound of the glider being beat by the air; my absolute favourite part of the trailer -- the bokoblin horn sounding out as the music starts to climb towards its highest point, and the Stone Talus they're chilling out on literally climbing up too; the moment of disharmony caused by Link's new arm infestation and its magic/sci-fi sounds; the immediate climb back up after that disharmony as Link freezes the spike ball rolling towards him, there's a split second moment to breathe as it stops, before it rolls back up the hill and punches that climax again; and the way the water droplet reversing leads into Link phasing through that island in the sky and back to the incantation-sounding stuff from earlier in the trailer. They do similar things in their other Breath of the Wild trailers too and I love it. Really spoke to me with that erhu at the end too, it's my favourite sounding instrument and loved when it would turn up in the first game :D

Strongest of the bigger E3 presentations this year by some margin for me (and seemingly everyone else here too, which is great to see!). Nintendo almost singlehandedly filled out the second half of 2021 with a bunch of games I'm very excited to check out. 

My Totally Official Score: 9.0/10

Spoiler

Summer Game Fest - 6.5/10

Ubisoft Foward: 6.0/10

Devolver Maxpass+: 7.0/10

Gearbox: 3.0/10

Xbox & Bethesda Showcase: 8.0/10

Square Enix Presents: 4.0/10

Capcom: 4.5/10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'd pretty much agree completely with those Totally Official Scores of yours. Probably bump Nintendo down to an 8, alongside Xbox.

There's definitely been stronger E3 Directs in the past 5-7 years but after 18 months of Covid they did really well, and are probably keeping plenty close to their chest.

Edited by Ronnie