NEurope
Julius

Nintendo Direct | E3 2021 + Treehouse Live (15th June 2021 @ 17:00 BST)

5 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Really not keen on stealth mechanics being quite prominent in Dread, especially stealth mechanics with instant death as a punishment.

I hate stealth.

Yeah, not a fan of the hunted/chase (whatever it’s called) mechanic. Fusion did it pretty well though.

Did that Zelda collection that was mentioned by “insiders” turn out to be the Game and Watch?

24 minutes ago, Julius said:

Can I just say, even if it is only 3 hours this year, I'm so glad we've rolled off a great Direct straight into Treehouse.

Seeing more of Dread and learning more about its development (and as someone who knew it only by name and that Samus suit) is great, and it just lets the hype continue, helps that it looks great for sure. This sort of thing is exactly what everyone else has missed this year. 

They've perfected the Nintendo Direct format in recent years. This had great pacing, separating "headlines" grouped together and bigger more standalone announcements. Going straight into development talk about Metroid Dread (probably the star of the show) was a great idea, and Treehouse is usually a fun time (weirdly stiff opening segment, apart)

• Like 1

Just now, Ike said:

Did that Zelda collection that was mentioned by “insiders” turn out to be the Game and Watch?

Nah, they were saying it would be Wind Walker and Twilight Princess. Aonuma said they are no other collections/games on the cards and so it appears this insider info goes on the pile with Star Fox GP. :laughing:

Good Direct overall, given most of it was about the next 6 months. The rest of the year on Switch is PACKED.

I feel like it was missing maybe 1 big announcement (say, EPD Tokyo's next game) for it to be a real winner, but apart from that great stuff. 

21 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Nah, they were saying it would be Wind Walker and Twilight Princess. Aonuma said they are no other collections/games on the cards and so it appears this insider info goes on the pile with Star Fox GP. :laughing:

It's absolutely crazy to me, especially after what Mario got last year and because of how much growth Zelda has shown across the board since Breath of the Wild, so much being money left on the table (making this a truly Nintendo move).

In the case of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask it makes me wonder if they are considering adding N64 games to Switch Online, but I guess I'm tracking those down for 3DS, and maybe considering getting a Wii U for Wind Waker and Twilight Princess when I get to them? 

So this was their redemption plan for the Wii U all along... :blank:

Super hyped for Metroid Dread right now. I know having a heavy stealth element to it (yeah, Metal Gear Metroid and all that) is not going to be everyone's cup of tea but I have sort of come around on stealth in games as after all it is in multiple Zelda games which got me to finally commit to Metal Gear Solid 2 and finish that,

Hopefully this game will have some good map design, now that Mercury Steam aren't bound by an old game's map design they can really create something that hopefully interlinks. That being said, it might be hard to top Hollow Knight in terms of map design and I'm not expecting that kind, but something close enough.

As for the rest? Kazuya in Tekken is good. We needed another Bandai Namco representative in there aside from Pac-Man and we also needed another Fighting game character since this pass hadn't had one yet. Bandai Namco has two fighting game franchises and while I would have preferred Yoshimitsu to be the other representative so that he can represent Tekken and Soulcalibur I can appreciate SC isn't a particularly well selling series and Tekken is the more iconic fighting game of the two, so having a lead character from Tekken makes perfect sense. So now we've got three of the biggest fighting game franchises represented in Smash, all that's missing is really Mortal Kombat. Though I hope Kazyua's inclusion can also lead to perhaps one or two Soulcalibur songs in Smash in the "other" section since I prefer that soundtrack over the Tekken tunes which will inevitably turn up.

Added to that we finally got a new trailer for Breath of the Wild 2, Super Monkey Ball and Advance Wars are coming to Switch and a new Warioware. While everyone else floundered with their presentations Nintendo have seemingly benefitted from nearly a decade of doing this format and they brought their A game here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, killthenet said:

Not a game that I'm at all interested in playing but that new Guardians of the Galaxy game doesn't look like it would run at all well on the base Switch - could its announcement be the biggest indication yet that a Switch Pro is on the way in the next few months?

Guardians of the Galaxy is a Cloud based version for the Switch, much like Hitman 3 and Control are. If anything, further Cloud version announcements of third party games probably point to any potential new hardware being pushed back till next year (A Plague Tale: Requiem was announced as coming to Switch as a Cloud version and thats supposed to launch next year). I wouldn't expect Cloud versions to be announced for big third party games if there was new hardware capable of running them natively on the immediate horizon.

My guess is that the current chip shortages affecting the industry has perhaps caused Nintendo to put the brakes on some what to let things sort themselves out there. There have been instances of shortages of Nintendo consoles at point of sale because demand has outstretched supply but that's never been because of manufacturing constraints like graphics card, phone and console manufacturers are facing.

• Thanks 1

Ah, thanks @Ganepark32 - I guess I just didn't notice that it mentioned cloud version at the end of the trailer. I suppose feasibly they could still announce native versions at a later date once the Switch Pro is actually revealed but yeah, like you say the existence of so many big titles getting cloud versions is probably a signal that we shouldn't be expecting a revision anytime soon

Are the Life is Strange titles going to be cloud versions too? That would be hugely disappointing.

On 02/06/2021 at 8:33 PM, Jonnas said:

I expect:

• The remaining two Smash newcomers to be announced;
  • Some sort of Fire Emblem announcement;
  • And this is practically a gimme, but of course: Mole Mania - Journey to Moledavia

As long as two out of these three happen, I'll pat myself on the back.

Dammit! Whose back am I supposed to pat, now!?

On 02/06/2021 at 8:33 PM, Jonnas said:

What I wish for:

• Lloyd Irving as one of the SSBU newcomers;
  • Skies of Arcadia remaster;
  • A collection of Tales games, previously unreleased in the west, now being localized. And also Symphonia HD coming to Switch;
  • Binding Blade remake;
  • Almyra 1160. A cookie for those who know what that means;
  • Castlevania Collection with all the Metroidvania titles (PS1, GBA, DS);
  • A new entry of a Nintendo franchise being made by an Indie developer;
  • Playable Zelda and/or Ganon in BotW 2

A single one of these would be enough to hype me through the roof.

Does Advance Wars count? Is Mercury Steam on Metroid Dread?

Fuck it! The hype is real!

gear-patrol-jump-off-roof-970.jpg

• Haha 3

If anyone interested in seeing more of Dread turned off the Treehouse stream for whatever reason, they're back on with the second part! 

4 hours ago, Dcubed said:

METROID DREAD IS ALIVE!!!!

AFTER 19 YEARS OF WAITING!!!

19 years of hurt, never stopped me dreaming 

it's comin' home, it's comin' home, it's comin' - Metroid's comin' home

skinner jpg.jpg

• Haha 2

WTF!? What was that last thing they promised!?

They promised us one more thing!!

That Direct was miles better than I was expecting and for my personal tastes a good 4.5/5.

SMT5 looks absolutely incredible and watching it on the Treehouse blew my mind - The battles, HUD, UI and map are all straight out of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, it makes sense they'd base it on that engine but it feels good that I'll be able to jump right in and know exactly what to do as a TMS diehard. It's a good trade-off as I knew we could never have a real sequel but this is very much a less camp spiritual successor gameplay-wise.

Then we have the return of two of my favourite and long dormant GameCube favourites WarioWare and Super Monkey Ball! I actually saw the Monkey Ball leak yesterday but was so jaded I assumed it was fake so was overwhelmed when Aiai's big face was beaming on my TV.

I've been a fan of recent Mario Party games despite their flaws so to see a new entry which seemingly gets everything right is a real joy: a return to the correct way to play (reintroduced with Super Mario Party - NO CARS), remakes of N64 boards (meaning we won't have to deal with the ludicrously tiny boards of SuperMP) and confirmation that not only is it Friend and Rando online but you can save games and return to them at another time. But best of all - Birdo is playable!!

Then there was the previously announced Mario and Rabbids sequel which is great for me as the original is by far my favourite non-port Switch game. 

I don't care for Metroid games but I'm so hyped for so many of my friends who are gagging for more Samus in their life and I genuinely gasped when I saw the title "Metroid Dread" as it unlocked my younger hardcore Nintendo fan. I can only hope other long lost titles (DONKEY KONG RACING) have the same wonderful phoenix moment. 

All in all a great show!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

WTF!? What was that last thing they promised!?

They promised us one more thing!!

It’s this...

Really enjoyed Treehouse this year, turned out it was closer to four hours instead of three. Metroid Dread segments were the highlight for me, game looks great. 

Just now, Dcubed said:

It’s this...

It's weird how they didn't just say it was No More Heroes 3!

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Damiani from Easy Allies said to do exactly this when they first saw the trailer. 

It's beautiful :D

4 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Says it all about what kind of E3 it's been. :hmm: 

I'm interested in Life Is Strange, SMT V, Mario + Rabbids, and curious about looking into Danganropa to see what it is. 

I’ve just finished the Danganronpa trilogy on PS4 and really enjoyed it.  I guess it’s a little like Phoenix Wright with a Hunger Games / Battle Royale-style twist.  If you enjoy the Phoenix Wright gameplay or ‘whodunnit’ stories then you’ll probably enjoy it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Does Advance Wars count [as indie-developed]?

It's WayForward! It does! :bouncy:

KjFwApX.gif

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, WackerJr said:

I’ve just finished the Danganronpa trilogy on PS4 and really enjoyed it.  I guess it’s a little like Phoenix Wright with a Hunger Games / Battle Royale-style twist.  If you enjoy the Phoenix Wright gameplay or ‘whodunnit’ stories then you’ll probably enjoy it.

I know @Goron_3 is a big fan of the series too

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Really enjoyed Treehouse this year, turned out it was closer to four hours instead of three. Metroid Dread segments were the highlight for me, game looks great. 

It's weird how they didn't just say it was No More Heroes 3!

I'm guessing it's probably because of the PEGI/ESRB rating.  Everything else on Treehouse Live was PEGI 12/ESRB Teen at the highest.

11 hours ago, WackerJr said:

Thanks for the info! I rewatched the E3 trailer yesterday evening and didn't pick up on what kind of genre it was showing. :blush: I've played the first case or two of Phoenix Wright on the 3DS trilogy pack, which isn't enough to know if I like it or not, haha, so I will try to get back to it while looking into Danganronpa. On Switch, I've played and enjoyed some point and click adventures such as Jenny LeClue Detectivu, Agent A, amongst other cheapies :grin: (and Among Us is a whodunnit, too...) so I am up for solving mysteries and rewriting history when the opportunity presents.

4 hours ago, Ashley said:

I know @Goron_3 is a big fan of the series too

Tallies with the Phoenix Wright comparison. Hopefully he takes a minute to weigh in on Danganronpa sometime.

• Like 1

The Legend of Zelda Game & Watch is up on the Nintendo UK Store for £44.99 (link). 

(Had no idea where to put this so here I guess :p)

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

The Legend of Zelda Game & Watch is up on the Nintendo UK Store for £44.99 (link). 

Not long until a fresh batch are unable to find the staircase under the bush in Links Awakening. :laughing: 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

Ordered, thanks for the heads up.