NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Nintendo Museum (construction complete March 2024)

Nintendo decided it was easier to announce a museum than the new Switch model. 

Press release from the JP site:

photo.jpg

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (HQ: Minami-ku, Kyoto; Representative Director and President: Shuntaro Furukawa) is pleased to announce that its Nintendo Uji Ogura Plant (Ogura-cho, Uji-city, Kyoto) and the land surrounding the building will be used as a new gallery to showcase the many products Nintendo has launched over its history.

Nintendo has been discussing the possibility of building a gallery, as a way to share Nintendo’s product development history and philosophy with the public. To this end, the Nintendo Uji Ogura Plant will be renovated to accommodate the gallery, a decision reached after taking consideration of The City of Uji’s plan of re-developing the nearby Ogura Station area.

The Nintendo Uji Ogura Plant was built in 1969, and was known as the “Uji Plant.” The name of the facility changed to “Uji Ogura Plant” in 1988, after the construction, extension and renovation of the current Uji Plant (Makishima-cho, Uji-city, Kyoto). The Uji Ogura Plant has been used to manufacture both playing cards and Hanafuda cards, and it also operated as a customer service center for product repairs. Discussion of how to use the Uji Ogura Plant began after these functions were transferred to the current Uji Plant in November 2016.

The facility, tentatively named “Nintendo Gallery”, where Nintendo’s historical products will be showcased, and exhibits and experiences will be available, is expected to be completed within our 2023 Fiscal Year, which ends in March 2024.

Edited by Julius
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Cool to see that they're going to host a museum themselves. Especially if it goes back to the early Hanafuda days that would be really interesting! Just checked out the location on maps, it is in Kyoto, about half an hour from the central station so it's not on the most accessible spot. But there are stations nearby, so if you are visiting Japan chances are you will wind up in Kyoto, and then it should be possible to make a visit. Curious to see if it will be open to all public (or just for partners or guided tours), and if the info there will be in English as well or all Japanese.

• Like 1

Seriously though, this is really cool! I hope that they house their pre-video game stuff there as well! (Come on! Show off your Love Hotel and Yakuza Hanafuda card stuff!)

Oh and design documents! We know they still have everything! I'd LOVE to be able to view the original design docs for things like Super Mario Bros and Earthbound! :D 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Cool to see that they're going to host a museum themselves. Especially if it goes back to the early Hanafuda days that would be really interesting! Just checked out the location on maps, it is in Kyoto, about half an hour from the central station so it's not on the most accessible spot. But there are stations nearby, so if you are visiting Japan chances are you will wind up in Kyoto, and then it should be possible to make a visit. Curious to see if it will be open to all public (or just for partners or guided tours), and if the info there will be in English as well or all Japanese.

From what I recall it's easier and quicker to get from Tokyo to that location than it is to get from something like Bournemouth to Birmingham.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

242687-game-watch-gallery-4-game-boy-adv

At last, the sequel we've been chomping at the bit for!

The placement of the ESRB rating and Goomba's face leaves a lot up to the imagination...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Weird 2

18 minutes ago, Ashley said:

The placement of the ESRB rating and Goomba's face leaves a lot up to the imagination...

I see you're an art connoisseur. 

34 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

I see you're an art connoisseur. 

Gotta make use of that art degree. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Gotta make use of that art degree. 

Perhaps a Patreon goal to send you over to this gallery to do vids and write-ups for the site is in order!  :idea: 

• Like 1

Speaking of art degree...

CIO1JTN.jpg

Edit: What am I doing with my life.

Edited by ArtMediocre
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Weird 2

Well, at least you chose to keep his pants on, could have easily gone the other direction!

1 minute ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Well, at least you chose to keep his pants on, could have easily gone the other direction!

If you join my onlyfans account, I'll sell you the nsfw version for a tenner.

1 minute ago, ArtMediocre said:

Non-fungible?

18 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

The sad thing is there is definitely a market for this, as you see advertised on Deviantart a lot.

21 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

The sad thing is there is definitely a market for this, as you see advertised on Deviantart a lot.

OK, I'm gonna have to jump in here, seeing as I'm on DeviantArt.

Yes, this is a thing.

No, I don't do that. No-one's even gonna pay me to do that, so luckily, I don't have to consider it.

11 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Yes, this is a thing.

No, I don't do that. No-one's even gonna pay me to do that, so luckily, I don't have to consider it.

How do you know that if you've never tried? I'll give you a quid if you draw me Donkey Shlong.

• Haha 2
  • Weird 1

8 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

How do you know that if you've never tried? I'll give you a quid if you draw me Donkey Shlong.

A quid you say....? :blank:

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weird 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Yes, this is a thing.

Isn’t Kecleon naked anyway? You’ve been doing it all along!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Isn’t Kecleon naked anyway? You’ve been doing it all along!

Ah! Kecleon's reptilian, don't need clothes when it's internal!

Nature's very own censor bar!

That'll distract them from the fact that I have most certainly drawn many mammalian Pokémon...

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

On 6/2/2021 at 5:50 PM, Ashley said:

From what I recall it's easier and quicker to get from Tokyo to that location than it is to get from something like Bournemouth to Birmingham.

Having done both of those trips a number of times, I would definitely rather do a trip from Tokyo to Kyoto than Bournemouth to Birmingham, much much easier.

This sounds super cool, definitely want to go. Not sure which will happen first, this opening or it being viable to travel to Japan.

• Like 1

I KNEW I'D ALREADY MADE A THREAD FOR THIS! Damn search bar made it hell to find...and it's time to retitle the thread from Gallery to Museum! :laughing:

As announced in today's Direct, construction is now scheduled to be completed in March 2024 (so, still in line - just about - with the previously announced "by end of FY23" goal).

Super excited to see how this turns out! 

• Haha 1

Watching that in the Direct I thought I didn't know it was happening but turns out I just forgot.

Was thinking of going back to Japan early next year...

Sign in to follow this