NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Sonic Colo(u)rs Ultimate (7th Sept-Switch/PS4/Xbox One)

1 hour ago, Sckewi said:

I'm actually more looking forward to Origins than Colours. I hope they are all modern versions with more options similar to the mobile versions. Although in the reveal trailer S3&K wasn't widescreen so 3&K is probably emulated. :( 

The community manager confirmed on Twitter that 3&K will be in widescreen.

• Thanks 1

I'm looking forward to this but I can't see much that makes it ultimate other than the HD upgrade and the gross unrelated baby Sonic keychain lol. I will get it anyway though as it's a great game that will be a joy to play again and it's one of the few that I just couldn't get working well on Dolphin a few months ago when I was on my Wiicube replay. 

• Thanks 1

Sonic Symphony starts in a few minutes.

Edit 1: They barely played anything from S3&K :cry:

Edit 2: The ending was great.

• Like 1

I'd recommend checking this out on mute unless you want your ears assaulted as well as your eyes.

4 hours ago, darksnowman said:

I'd recommend checking this out on mute unless you want your ears assaulted as well as your eyes.

Hope your talking about the random scream and not the music. 

On 08/07/2021 at 10:28 PM, Ike said:

Hope your talking about the random scream and not the music. 

Maybe they just used a poor rendition in that video...? :woops: 

I bought the Deluxe edition of this on my Series X so I could play it over the weekend. 

I bought this the first time round, but remembered nothing about it other than the fact I wasn't that impressed with it. 

Well, so far, same kinda feeling. It's funny really as this is the Sonic game most people say is the better one, or one of the best recent ones. I disagree. I've had way more fun with both Forces and Unleashed. 

The problem with this game, is the Wisps. The levels have absolutely no structure to them what so ever. I'm two worlds in and some wisps aren't even unlocked yet. The ones that are, well they serve no real purpose. The drill wisp, for example, just lets you plummet underground at speed to get elusive red rings, or more coins or whatever. It isn't a necessity to finish the level with it. It's all very tacked on. 

In Sonic forces, the wisps were better I felt as there was less of them, but they actually served a purpose to further you in a level and it was if the level was built with them in mind. Not all, granted, but a few which made the inclusion fit much better. 

I will keep going with it as there are some elements of the game that are enjoyable. 

I think as remakes go, this looks pretty trash. Keep forgetting I'm playing on my Xbox and no on Switch. The cut scenes have had no polish added what so ever and look utter ass. 

The sound in the game is all over the place. Voice acting is extremely quiet, but level playing and sound effects in game are super loud. So I can't get the balance right at all. 

All in all, not crazy on it. Which is a shame as I always felt I must have been missing something first time round as I'm such a huge Sonic fan. But I don't think I was... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve got the Switch version preordered, considering if I should switch to a different console or wait to see if it gets a Steam release later.

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

I’ve got the Switch version preordered, considering if I should switch to a different console or wait to see if it gets a Steam release later.

Sounds like it's a bit of a garbage port... especially on Switch.

You're probably best off getting it on another platform, or just sticking with the Wii original.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like you can avoid most of those glitches by not switching between levels on different planets as quickly as possible. Or, in some cases, by not using a pirated version in an emulator (which is where some of the footage is from). It seems unlikely that people will encounter most of these while playing normally. Hopefully they can still patch the issue that is causing it.

It sounds like some level assets are loaded in the selection menu, and quickly going in, backing out and choosing another interrupts the load, so it only partially loads the stuff for the new area, so might be a simple fix for them if they can make it so you can't change level until it has finished loading properly.  

I played though the game on a Series S, incredibly fun experience, and only encountered one extremely minor bug. It feels just like Colours, but just a bit nicer. By biggest issue is that the cutscenes aren't upscaled very well. Currently working on finding all of the red rings. 

• Thanks 1

Never played Sonic Colours when it came out on the Wii so I was kind of looking forward to this remaster. I might take a look after all the bugs have been cleaned out of it. Might get it on Series X to see if thats a better port or not.

Edited by martinist
better not petter

Wasn't the original Wii version relatively well made and glitch free (by 3D Sonic standards)?

It's a bit like a previous anniversary when they released that appallingly bad GBA port of Sonic 1.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mandalore said:

It's a bit like a previous anniversary when they released that appallingly bad GBA port of Sonic 1.

Or another anniversary where a certain new 3D Sonic Game was an absolute trainwreck that ended up tanking the series's reputation?

Sega really have to stop getting out games with a deadline of a 5 year anniversary...

23 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Or another anniversary where a certain new 3D Sonic Game was an absolute trainwreck that ended up tanking the series's reputation?

That was the exact same day as Sonic GBA. 

7 minutes ago, Cube said:

That was the exact same day as Sonic GBA. 

It was? Huh. Well, double the catastrophe then.

My point still stands.

Absolutely miserable excuse of a port on all platforms (not even PS4 Pro manages a locked 60FPS and can’t even breech 1440p).

They would honestly have gotten better performance & visuals if they had just emulated the original Wii version on Switch.

Does kind of remind me of Sonic The Hedgehog Genesis on GBA…

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Absolutely miserable excuse of a port on all platforms (not even PS5 manages a locked 60FPS and can’t even breech 1440p).

They would honestly have gotten better performance & visuals if they had just emulated the original Wii version on Switch.

He says in the video PS5 and Xbox run at 60FPS?

16 minutes ago, Ike said:

He says in the video PS5 and Xbox run at 60FPS?

I meant PS4 Pro and Xbox One X :p 

Really not acceptable that even those consoles can't handle running a Wii game at 60FPS!

I'm struggling with the want to finish this. Think I've done 4 worlds and I'm up to the aquatic one. 

I am finding it boring. My earlier complaint regarding the wisps not really serving a purpose is still relevant. There's only been a handful of stages that actually need you to use the wisps to progress or to get through a level. 

Considering the game is so heavily built around them in its story and placement of them in levels, it's stupid. I also think the controls are a step behind Forces, which is so far and away the better game. Despite what reviewers say IMO. 

The wisps are used a lot more when looking for Red Rings, which are really fun to find, and unlock some fun levels in the Game Land section.