NEurope
Dcubed

Dragon Quest Treasures

I don't know what the hell this is, but it looks cute, I want it and it's getting a simultaneous worldwide release!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I don't know what the hell this is, but it looks cute, I want it and it's getting a simultaneous worldwide release!

It looks to me like this is what the new Dragon Quest Monsters that they originally announced in 2018 has pivoted into? 

Producer Taichi Inuzuka said this today:  

We’re working on a completely new spin-off of the Dragon Quest series called Dragon Quest Treasures.

You may have seen us show of the designs for Erik and Mia as children before, and through various twists and turns, they have become the lead characters of Treasures.

I can’t reveal too much about the game at the moment, but I can tell you some important key themes: “Erik and Mia’s childhood,” and “treasure hunting.”

It’s an RPG, but nothing at all like a traditional one, and that’s just about all I can say right now.

The release date and the platforms it will be playable on are as yet unannounced, but we’re working closely with [Dragon Quest game designer Yuji] Horii to make a worldwide simultaneous release happen.

The exact same character art shown in the trailer is the same as that shown for the new DQM project back then, which also had Erik and Mia planned as it's leads: 

New-Dragon-Quest-Monsters-Siliconera-650

Inuzuka said at the start of last year that development on the new DQM wasn't going well...at all. So I'm guessing that's what the mention of "twists and turns" is about. Quotes from Siliconera (Jan 2020): 

For the new Dragon Quest Monsters game… while I do want to say something cheerful, it really doesn’t feel like it’s going that way. I want to work hard to make something happen soon, but it feels like the more effort I put into it the more fruitless they become?

It’s kind of like taking three steps forward and then two steps back.

There are many good games coming out this year, so please try them out and wait leisurely. 

From what I'm reading it sounds like a new Dragon Quest Monsters is still in the works, but this isn't it, and it's probably a ways off. 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Julius said:

From what I'm reading it sounds like a new Dragon Quest Monsters is still in the works, but this isn't it, and it's probably a ways off. 

They said in the stream there will be a new DQM that's also in development (or starting soon). Sad this is no longer a Monsters game, was looking forward to it. Still am cuz Erik is MVP.

• Like 1

More news coming next month, probably at Not-E3? 

starts screaming the Dragon Quest main theme

Date was revealed in the Direct Mini. Seems to be Switch exclusive?

• Like 1

I still have no idea what the hell this is, but it's cute and I want it.

It's also... surprisingly a Switch exclusive it seems! (No PS4/PS5 or Xbox versions announced!)

A completely new spinoff from the Dragon Quest series, Dragon Quest Treasures explores the childhood escapades of the siblings Erik and Mia, who first appeared in Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age.

Erik and his sister Mia live on a Viking longship, dreaming of the day they can explore the world in search of grand treasure. One night they encounter a pair of otherworldly creatures, Porcus and Purrsula, and are whisked away to a mysterious place known as Draconia—a legendary land full of treasures just waiting to be discovered. The adventure Erik and Mia have always dreamed of is finally underway!

With the vast world of Draconia to explore and tons of tantalizing treasure to find, Erik, Mia, and their cute companions will need some help. The team soon befriends and recruits a veritable variety of well-mannered monsters. By making use of these monsters’ magical visions of hidden treasure and their unique treasure-hunting abilities, our heroes will race over open fields, scale cliffs with a single bound, and glide over gaping chasms to locate loot in even the most fiendishly inaccessible spots!

Venture into a vast, varied world where twists, turns, and mysteries lie hidden on your path to discovering the legendary treasure of Draconia!

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/06/dragon-quest-treasures-launches-december-9-for-switch

Dragon Quest Treasures details story, world, and characters
Meet Erik, Mia, and their spirit partners.

Publisher and developer Square Enix, and developer TOSE have updated the Japanese official website for Dragon Quest Treasures with information on the game’s story, world, and characters.

Get the details below.

■ Story
Erik and Mia, best friends and siblings who live on a Viking longship, are one day whisked away into another world by a pair of mysterious spirits. The world, called “Draconia,” is a legendary land where the Seven Dragon Stones and many treasures lie in wait. In a realm full of monsters, the siblings embark on the treasure-hunting adventure they have always dreamed of!

Dragon Quest Treasures
Dragon Quest Treasures
Dragon Quest Treasures

■ World
Draconia, where the game is set, is made up of islands with various climates, each inhabited by a wide variety of monsters. Erik and Mia, who gained the ability to communicate with the monsters of this world through the power of the “Dragon’s Dagger,” will befriend the monsters that inhabit this land and grow together while collecting the treasures waiting to be found here!
Dragon Quest Treasures

https://gematsu.com/2022/07/dragon-quest-treasures-details-story-world-and-characters
More screenshots and some character info at the link. I'm extremely curious about this one as I know basically nothing about it. :) 

Game's out now. And I'm still not certain if I actually want it.

If any of you do get it, let me know if it's an open world or not.

I completely forgot it was coming out. Given the lack of buzz in other places, I think everyone else did as well. 

I've got far too much to play already and so I doubt I'll be picking this up until the new year.

On 10/12/2022 at 7:23 PM, Glen-i said:

Game's out now. And I'm still not certain if I actually want it.

If any of you do get it, let me know if it's an open world or not.

It's open world in a similar way to Legends of Arceus, but you unlock all areas at once early on.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ike said:

It's open world in a similar way to Legends of Arceus, but you unlock all areas at once early on.

Did you pick it up, Ike? 

16 hours ago, Ike said:

That's a pity. Oh well. Thanks for telling me.

On 12/12/2022 at 7:22 AM, Hero-of-Time said:

Did you pick it up, Ike? 

Yeah I did, not put much time into yet due to trying to finish of Pokémon first.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday morning, I was out and about and decided to pick this up. I fired it up to see this...

FkPdOoTaMAAaVC7?format=jpg&name=large

It's so refreshing to pop a game in and not have a stupid amount of updates/copying/installing going on. It's nice to see a finished game that is actually on the disc/cart for a change.

I've only put a few hours into it so far but its been a very fun and cozy experience. I've even had a few laughs, thanks to the usual DQ humour being present.

FkPdd_9aUAA9McT?format=jpg&name=large

You get to name your group of treasure hunters and figured this name seemed very appropriate.

FkPdeAOaYAASfj-?format=jpg&name=large

I've been enjoying exploring the maps, and levelling up my team. Hearing the classic DQ jingle as myself or one of my monsters goes up a level never gets old. :D

I'm off to explore an ice covered map. Given the time of year and the weather outside, it fits perfectly. The treasure hunt continues...

FkPdeAFagAAlGAg?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've had this sitting around for a week now and i've barely touched it. I'm not even out of the tutorial yet. I've gotten to the main base of opporations. Might get back inot it later today actually.

Thought the combat was going to be turn based but it's more action rpg combat.

15 minutes ago, martinist said:

Most of the combat is quite passive. Your monsters do most of the damage and you just chip away with your dagger.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Most of the combat is quite passive. Your monsters do most of the damage and you just chip away with your dagger.

Ironic, seeing as Erik ended up being the big massive physical damage dealer of the DQ XI party.

Dude's a beast in that game!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yesterday morning, I was out and about and decided to pick this up.

One of us! One of us!

I've been having a chuckle at the names and general humour in it. Maybe General Humour will be a character or boss later, you never know. :laughing: Like how I think of General Chit Chat as one of General Pepper's colleagues. Probably on my own with that one. LOL.

The game seems pretty chilled out so far. :cool: I haven't really done anything in it except explore each area a bit while picking up whatever I come across and seeking out treasure that's in the vicinity. It's nice to know there are some quest markers to head to but for now it's been fun enough just to have a mooch around. Looking forward to getting golems and any other higher-level monsters recruited as I go. It's handy (and refreshing) that the daily quests seem to give you tasks you'll just knock out through 20 mins of normal play rather than be stuff you need to go out of your way for. Hope it remains a nice passive bonus like that.

Seems a good game so I hope it doesn't fly under the radar too much.

50 minutes ago, martinist said:

I've had this sitting around for a week now and i've barely touched it. I'm not even out of the tutorial yet. I've gotten to the main base of opporations. Might get back inot it later today actually.

Nice one. Playing anything else at the mo or just not been grabbed by the opening of this? Tbh, I was glad you're off the boat and on your way pretty much immediately. Thought it was going to be a repeat of the DQB2 boat tutorial but nope! When you emerge from the cave, the first thing I did was walk off the edge. :laughing: No invisible walls here.

Combat doesn't seem to be the main focus of it. I haven't used the slingshot outside of just trying it to see how it works; just telling the monsters to "go, go, go!" has been getting me by. There are some higher-level monsters around so maybe you'd need to put more thought into your party setup for those. Not sure what kind of depth to expect yet.

• Like 2

Apparently the game is around 20-30 hours long. Yeah, I can see me putting a lot more hours into it than that. I'm nearly 10 hours in and have yet to pick up one of the 7 artifacts you need for the main quest. I'm having too much fun just running around finding treasure and doing sidequests.

I like the fact you can send off a group of monsters to do pillaging of their own. I sent one group off and after the time was up they came back saying they had found a metal monster. I headed straight there and found a few Metal Slimes but didn't manage to kill any of them. I did come across one in the wild and thought I could beat the system by saving the game and reloading if I failed. Nope, that didn't work. Upon reloading the game the Metal Slime had turned into a normal one. Bah!

One negative point I have is the lack of Zoom. It would have been nice if you could use Zoom and fly straight back to base, especially with how often you need to return. Sure, you can use a Chimera Wing but those are in very short supply and don't appear to be for sale in any of the shops.

10 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I headed straight there and found a few Metal Slimes but didn't manage to kill any of them.

I found some in The Snouterhorn, but was only able to get them down to half health before they fled.