NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Dragon Quest X Offline

2022 release in Japan... no western announcement yet.

It's almost certainly coming though

Dragon Quest X Producer Wants to Turn the MMO Into an Offline Game for the West

“Dragon Quest X has plenty of rich stories, and I want to make something to share it with others, including those overseas,” Miyake said.

Former Dragon Quest X producer Yosuke Saito echoed Miyake's comments. "We talk about an offline version here and there, but I don't think it's impossible. It'd be great if we could introduce it to customers."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is the 2nd DQ game I've not played yet. I thought I'd never be able to! So I'm happy with this.

Now just give me I and II and I'm set!

That's kind of crazy. How are they going to turn an MMORPG into a single player game?

9 minutes ago, Magnus said:

I wish they hadn't chibified the characters...

I'm not gonna lie, unlike the Gen 4 Pokémon remakes, this art shift is weird because they already have 3D assets right there for reuse.

But honestly, it doesn't really bug me that much. I think it's cute.

50 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

unlike the Gen 4 Pokémon remakes...

...this actually looks passable? :p

I feel like this has to be coming to the West. I know Dragon Quest isn't as big over here as it is in Japan, but that looks like way too much effort to not just half-heartedly release it over here. 

10 minutes ago, Julius said:

...this actually looks passable? :p

tenor.gif

This is almost certainly coming out in the west, there's a reason why they bigged that stream up as the first time it was available in English.

Well this isn't what I expected when I saw the words Dragon Quest X Offline. DQX has some really good stories so looking forward to playing them in English. They didn't say it wasn't getting localised like they did with the Version 6 reveal.

More news out of TGS:

• the base game, which includes Awakening of the Five Tribes, releases 26th February 2022 in Japan. 

• some DLC will be coming to the game - on the DQ website amusingly referred to as "super-large expansion download content" - in line with the expansions released for the online version of DQ X. It's unclear if every expansion will be added from what I can find so far. The first expansion will be added in Spring 2022: The Sleeping Hero and the Guided Allies. 

• releasing on Switch, PS4/PS5 and PC (Steam). 

FAxe84tX0AkMMst?format=jpg&name=large

• retailing in three different SKU's: at ¥8,580 for the base game, with the DLC available separately for ¥4,400; ¥12,980 for the base game + DLC bundle; and at ¥15,370 for a super deluxe set, including some neat 35th anniversary merch. 

• Like 1

Per Gematsu -- Square Enix has delayed the release of the base game to an ambiguous Summer 2022 slot from it's previous 26th February 2022 release date. The first expansion, The Sleeping Hero and The Guiding Ally, has also been delayed, from Summer 2022 to Fall 2022. 

On the upside, here's a new trailer to help tide people over:

I think we all expect this to come to the West, but question for you all: when do you expect it to be announced and actually release over here? My hope would be we get an announcement at E3 or in the second half of the year for the release of the base game and first expansion here in 2023, but I'm not sure. 

Edited by Julius

15 hours ago, Julius said:

when do you expect it to be announced and actually release over here?

Around the time these expansions are done.

I expect it to be released in one lump package, right at the end of the Switch lifetime.

Just a gut feeling.

On 29/12/2021 at 2:58 AM, Glen-i said:

Around the time these expansions are done.

I expect it to be released in one lump package, right at the end of the Switch lifetime.

Just a gut feeling.

See, I was thinking along similar lines to begin with, but the base game and the expansion planned are only two of the five "versions" currently available, and if I'm remembering right a sixth "version"/fifth expansion was announced a while ago.

I guess it depends on how far they would plan to go with it, if and when it comes to the West, but bundling it all together in one package - assuming they do all of the expansions - when it's done seems like they'd be leaving money on the table unless Nintendo are covering S-E's losses and then some, just considering that the base game is probably a £50 title and the first expansion £20 - £30 based on the Japanese prices above. I also have to imagine that saving it all to drop in one go would take quite a long time due to the translations, which would also see them sitting out on potential earnings by choosing to not release things when they're ready to go. Then again, they could absolutely just be taking advantage of their rabid Japanese audience over there. 

The more I think about it - especially with DQ not being huge over here in the first place - they have a real mountain to climb in getting it all out over here -- heck, there are zero plans to do this with XIV at any point according to Yoshi-P, and it's the biggest MMO right now. At a push I could see them maybe including the first DLC expansion with the base game, heck maybe even the first two? I know they've released all-in-one packages at separate points for the game in Japan, but they seem to be treating this as a new and entirely separate entity in that regard, I guess they're just waiting to see how well it sells. 

Per Gematsu, the game will be releasing on 15th September 2022 in Japan, with The Sleeping Hero and the Guiding Ally Offline expansion delayed from Fall 2022 to Spring 2023. 

Still no word on a Western release, but this wouldn't be the time or place for it ::shrug:

Edited by Julius

Sign in to follow this