NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

PlayStation State of Play (Thursday 29th April 2021 @ 22:00 BST)

Only mentions extended gameplay for Rift Apart and updates on indies, but still, a State of Play is a State of Play :p

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Awesome!

Sony's approach to upcoming games seems to work wonders. Case in point: Returnal. With previews being generally positive there's a huge buzz on the internet for the game which seems to permeate into the "casual" audience.
And before these previews, they showed bits and pieces of the game to slowly build hype.

I can see the upcoming SoP being the start of something similar for Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart.

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

Impressive cadence they’re having with these events.  Nintendo could stand to learn a thing or two!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Sony's approach to upcoming games seems to work wonders. Case in point: Returnal. With previews being generally positive there's a huge buzz on the internet for the game which seems to permeate into the "casual" audience.
And before these previews, they showed bits and pieces of the game to slowly build hype.

So basically the same approach as every anticipated game from any publisher?

13 minutes ago, Julius said:

updates on indies

Totally missed this part.

Updates on a pair of indies...probably not going to be Kena.

My guess is: Little Devil Inside and Jett. :D

3 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Totally missed this part.

Updates on a pair of indies...probably not going to be Kena.

My guess is: Little Devil Inside and Jett. :D

Right?! :laughing: I did the same, read the tweet and was like "oh cool, that's a nice trailer", then I started doing something else before seeing everyone else's responses! 

Would love to see some more of Little Devil Inside, agreed that it's probably a bit too early for Kena as I imagine that would be saved hopefully for something bigger in June/July? 

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

it's probably a bit too early for Kena as I imagine that would be saved hopefully for something bigger in June/July? 

Yeah, it's gonna get a big spotlight further down the line. Definitely not the right time now.

Next few months are looking pretty good :D

Returnal in April
RE 8 in May
R&C: Rift Apart and FF7R Integrade in June
Kena in August
Deathloop in September

Just need a game for July and it's all good :p Maybe it's the two indies :D

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Next few months are looking pretty good :D

Returnal in April
RE 8 in May
R&C: Rift Apart and FF7R Integrade in June
Kena in August
Deathloop in September

Just need a game for July and it's all good :p Maybe it's the two indies :D

Yeah, definitely! Between this and the Switch I'm sorted on just new titles, then you their in ports and remasters of games I haven't played and suddenly my backlog doubles in size :p

And then if we think The Last of Us' Factions could well be aiming for the latter stages of this year (depending on how much they've fleshed it out) in October/November, it's a pretty solid year all things considered, especially seeing as there's likely more to be announced. Horizon internally is probably aiming for a Q4 2021 release, and I genuinely think, internally, that has been the aim for Final Fantasy XVI too. 

Now, do I actually think that either of them will actually hit this year? Forget my usual optimism, and forget COVID impacting development and every other reason to delay them, because PlayStation have seemingly shipped just over half of their reduced projected shipments (6.5 million of 11 million, reduced from 15 million) as of the end of last month. It just straight up makes zero financial sense for Square Enix to be launching a new Final Fantasy exclusively on a console with an install base a fraction of what it could be. Horizon I suppose you could make the case is cross-gen and so doesn't need to rely so heavily on the number of PS5's in the wild, but unless XVI becomes cross-gen, I think Square Enix will wisely hold out, even if they do manage to finish it by the end of the year. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing more of Rift Apart in action. With Deathloop delayed till September, its the big PS5 exclusive I'm really looking forward to now (though I will admit that review pending, my status as not currently picking up Returnable may well change because it looks so damn good and I've been having fun with roguelites this last year with Hades and Curse of the Dead Gods).

As for the indie games, I'd say its likely that it'll be some of those that didn't turn up at the earlier State of Play this year, such as Stray, Jett and Little Devil Inside. Not expecting anything other than those and would be happy with any combination of them.

No doubt people will still moan about the State of Play and say it was disappointing, that they expected more but Sony have done right by getting out ahead of it to lay the groundwork in saying its only going to be focused on showing gameplay for Rift Apart and updates to two indie games. No one should go into it thinking there'll be more (there may well be a "One more thing" announcement given the time of the State of Play but there may well not be) but we all know what the internet is like.

• Like 2

Looking forward to it, more Ratchet is never a bad thing. News on Stray and Little Devil Inside would be nice.

Also a chance we may get more news from the China Conference as well. Maybe Lost Soul Aside, F.I.S.T etc

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Ganepark32 said:

Sony have done right by getting out ahead of it to lay the groundwork in saying its only going to be focused on showing gameplay for Rift Apart and updates to two indie games.

Yup, Sony is on its way to perfect their SoPs.
If they wanna talk about specific games they make sure everybody knows it's just that. Have a general showing? Be sure to leave space for surprises.

It's working wonders for them and it's a great way to create exicement while also bringing new information to the public. And disappointment is reduced to a minimum :peace: 

Edited by drahkon

Looks like one of the indie games that'll be turning up might be Humanity, the next game from Enhance (Tetris Effect), or at least thats what I get from this tweet:

Its been a while since they've shown it but it was announced for PS4 and I'm going to guess it'll be heading to PS5.

Could be reading too much into that tweet but the timing definitely makes it seem likely that we'll see Humanity during the State of Play.

• Weird 1

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

What the fuck did I just watch?

A supremely unsafe lack of social distancing

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

Looks like one of the indie games that'll be turning up might be Humanity, the next game from Enhance (Tetris Effect), or at least thats what I get from this tweet:

Its been a while since they've shown it but it was announced for PS4 and I'm going to guess it'll be heading to PS5.

Could be reading too much into that tweet but the timing definitely makes it seem likely that we'll see Humanity during the State of Play.

Completely forgot about this game, the only reason I remembered it before watching the trailer was because I'm pretty sure it was in a State of Play before and I thought that it looked like they'd taken weird presentation transitions and made them into a game :laughing: but yeah, I agree, the timing of it would seem to suggest it'd be here? But it's a little weird that they wouldn't just wait for us to see it in the State of Play... ::shrug:

Looking forward to seeing more of Ratchet & Clank tonight, imagine what we'll see will push me over the edge to finally play the PS4 game in the next few weeks so I'm at least a little familiar with it ahead of launch. If Humanity is one of the two indie titles, I really hope the other one is one that we've mentioned wanting to see, because no offence to Humanity, but it's a little underwhelming. 

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

no offence to Humanity, but it's a little underwhelming. 

As a part of humanity I feel offended :mad:

• Haha 1

Just now, drahkon said:

As a part of humanity I feel offended :mad:

I noticed it and thought "maybe I should edit it to be clearer that I meant the game looks underwhelming."

But nah. Those aliens out there ain't missing out on much :p

• Haha 1

We were all way off with our indie game predictions :laughing:

Happy to see a next gen version of the first Subnautica coming our way :peace:

Great to see Insomniac carrying over a lot of what they did in the Spider-Man games with the Photo Mode in Rift Apart, should be fun to play around with! 

And hell yeah, accessibility options are the best and most important options :peace:

It's ridiculous how beautiful this is.

And it just looks like a blast to play. :D

Rift Apart looks fantastic, though I'm not overly keen on that phased dash animation they're using. But that's something I'll get used to as it looks like the next gen showcase we've been waiting on and I can't wait to get my hands on it. That Topiary weapon is great. Hopefully we'll see a return of the Pixelator and the Sheepinator too. And of course, Mr Zurkon. Can't not have Mr Zurkon usable.

Somewhat weird pair of indie games to show off. Subnautica Below Zero is out in 2 weeks so that makes sense but given this one is more story focused and that Subnautica in general is about discovering things yourself, it didn't need to really be shown off.

By the time Among Us hits, I think the hype around it will have well and truly passed. I mean, I've not seen viewing figures for the game on Twitch but I'd have to guess that by now numbers have started to dwindle a bit.

Guess we'll just have to wait a bit more for some of the other indie games like Stray, Jett and Little Devil Inside. Happy enough to wait as there's plenty of the horizon (Returnal is tomorrow, we've had Nier Replicant last week, May alone has RE Village, ME Legendary Edition, Biomutant, and Subnaurica Below Zero to name a few and Rift Apart is early June). Guess we'll hear more at Sony's not-E3 State of Play.

All in all, loved what we saw of Rift Apart. Is it not June yet.

Blown away by how good Ratchet looks, can’t think of many better looking games. It’s incredible we are getting games like Returnal and Ratchet only 6 months in, this Gen is gonna be glorious.

untitled-1gbjhf.gif

• Like 2

Wow, that really, really didn't need to be a "State of Play" :blank:, put Ratchet on its own, and group 5 or 6 indie games in a separate Indie showcase. And maybe don't bother including Among Us at this point lol.

Anyway, Ratchet looks amazing, visually. Looking forward to it!

Edited by Ronnie

Sign in to follow this