NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CrowingJoe79

I own every US #1 horror film (1922-2021)

Wow. Just... wow! :eek:

That's every single one ever released to date in North America, if you count the Variety weekly top 50 grossing films charts available before 1982. 

There are two films from the 1920s that are unfortunately classified as being lost films, however. They are The Terror and London After Midnight.

The first movie to reach number one, at least in terms of the reported gross, is a silent film starring Lon Chaney called The Monster (from March of 1925). The latest release in the horror genre that topped the US box office I believe, is Come Play:cool:

No doubt that the new Saw film releasing next month will prove to be a box office smash hit as well... :grin:

https://pasteboard.co/JYqjDXP.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/JYqk7Dj.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/JYqkKfj.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/JYqlzPN.jpg

LMAO. :laughing:

• Like 1

That's a whole lot of films. I take it horror is your favourite film genre?

• Thanks 1

Well that's certainly impressive! You clearly like your horror movies (No wonder you're always so angry about Capcom ruining Resident Evil! :laughing:)

• Haha 1

There are some films I probably won't even watch if I suspect they are so bad. I think that could very well be one of them. ;)

But all horror franchises have their high and low points. Basically, if they ever claim that the next entry will be "The Las Chapter" and they crank out more, you know they will eventually screw it up. Like, when they finally ended Saw in 2010, they did another one in 2017, called Jigsaw, which was mostly a prequel. I'm still quite into the franchise though, as there's a lot of ingenuity behind the plot and the themes of the series, even if they are kind of out there with their said ideas. Although, yes. I knew they would eventually do a soft reboot of sorts, as Saw is a financially successful series. Well, I even remember Tobin Bell saying he didn't mind if somebody else took up the role of John Kramer. But nope. There's no replacing Tobin Bell. Imagine Freddy without Robert Englund, for example...

OH DARN. They remade that one too. :p 

It's like that lousy shot-for-shot remake of Psycho with Anne Heche, that was released in 1998. The original was filmed in black and while, and Anthony Perkins gave the best performance of his career as the demented Norman Bates. Remaking it was just utterly pointless. Although keep in mind, the original was out way back in 1960, so remaking it was a little bit justified, because Hollywood loves to do modern takes on everything, and not everyone likes to sit through those old movies. 

And while I do bash Resident Evil a lot, I don't think the new games are bad. The story, however, is a lost cause. Especially in 2021, when you have a living puppet creature as one of the enemies, and there's vampire like chicks and werewolves, or what I think could be things kind of like werewolves. This all better make some sense post release, I swear.

Provided we're not talking about the awful modes that come for free with the mainline games, the sequels with Ethan Winters ain't bad. It's just that you need a fine balance of action and horror, and Resident Evil 5 just crapped all over that. RE7 is a good horror game, but I don't know if it really feels like a RE game. Plus, I hate the other modern day horror games where you mostly always run around with a camera and you cannot even fight off your foes, or really do much other than hide from your stalkers whenever there's a means of doing so.

I do suspect that the whole purpose of Capcom's RE Engine is so that they'll be able to crank out new games every so often, and have the same assets being recycled. If you think about it, Lady Dimitrescu is basically just like Mr. X, Nemesis, and Jack Baker, in that she appears at times and follows you around her castle. They can just code the same type of enemy movements, but change the skin of that model, which is easy to do if you want a new game rushed out in 2021, then 2023, and then 2025. Otherwise, even the rooms and stuff is all suspiciously similar in how it all looks. I'm not sure if anybody pays any close attention to that at all, but I do think that if Capcom intends to do another sequel or remake every year or so, they will have to use the same things to save time and money. Why does Capcom even need any more cash? But I mean, those remakes were kind of disappointing. Some fans like them, and that's okay. But they didn't do as well as I was hoping they would.

Has anyone watched a silent horror movie with no dialogue? There's one called One Exciting Night that has intertitles, but there's no talking

Check this out. This YouTuber does have a few valid points. Although I still think anyone who hates on 5 when they think 4 is brilliant, is a little odd. RE4 isn't really a survival horror game either, it could be said. Although I do generally agree that at least 4 is more fun to play than 5 is, and it definitely reigns over trash like 6. And the RE3 remake is just like the RE2 remake as well, yet people seem to think the RE2 remake was a gift sent down from God. Yet I feel like the RE2 remake, while it is still somewhat good, is also massively flawed. Tons of enemies got cut. I've often heard people complaining because the spiders were left out, and there was a lot of other things that was missing, or didn't feel perfect in many ways. 

The RE3 remake does suck, but in all honesty, it's kind of quite identical mostly, in how it plays out, to RE2. Yet everybody loves the original RE2 to bits, so it's like by default, a new version of RE3 was bound to be considered to be bad anyway. However, it makes little sense, when if you really do the sums, RE2 and 3 play out in a similar manner. Right? :D 

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this